Am I being too sensitive?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I work in this office with my supervisor & 1 co-worker.  For the sake of identity, let's say the supervisor's name is Barry & the co-worker i have is Larry.  On several occasions, I have gone into a coughing frenzy after or while eating...neither one of them said "Are you ok?".  The other day, Larry coughed like 3 times in a row & Barry was like "Are you alright?".  My immediate thought was, oh I cough up a lung & neither one says anything but yet Larry coughs & right away, Barry says "you alright?".  On several other occasions, I have sneezed & Barry never says "bless you" but everytime Larry sneezes, Barry always says "bless you".  I'm sorry but when I experience this, it makes me feel like crap, as if my supervisor doesn't give a crap about my well-being.  Also, on several occasions, Larry has asked Barry "you want anything from the vending machine?" & not asked me the same question.  To me, it just goes to show what kind of people Barry & Larry are really like.  This is just one of the MANY reasons why I want to leave my job.

Am I being too sensitive?  I wish I could just let this just roll of my shoulders but it's really hard to let it go.  Any suggestions? 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Really so theres a larry a barry and a gary? Yes I think you are over reacting a little nit alot stuff them your an adult just ignore it or the next time be really over dramatic and when they cough ring the emergency services and tell them someone is choke do the smacj on the back thing untill help arrives
  • Posted

Hi I think this is more to do with male bonding than with you.  Men will often stick together just as women do and they probably aren't even aware of the effect it's having on you.  

• Posted

Persoanlly, no, I don't think you're being too sensitive. To me it's not really about that. And I don't think it'd help even if you said to yourself 100 times per day, "yes, I'm definitely an oversensitive person. Cool" - because you'd still be the same person see. Something must change. I'm very much having inner struggles of my own along similar lines and a few things I'm doing are practising 'letting go' and 'acceptance' and nurturing inner compassion and love, forgiveness - yes, spititual things. No, I'm not trying to selI a religion here, idgaf about that, but I need to keep reinforcing those more spiritual elements within myself because so many of my own inner negativities, thoughts, feelings, etc., overwhelm me into anxiety and depression - effecting me in adverse ways. I'm mentioning this more spiritual approach because all the usual conventional approachs haven't produced any peace at all, and that's what I really feel I need. Just inner peace. All the best garya1. That's one thing the doctors can't prescribe at all - not really - the inner peace. 

• Posted

Oh, and one other thing I'm doing is practising 'mindfulness'. It's actually an old Buddhist practise the mental health field suggest as DBT. There's info on the internet. A lot of people have said that has helped them.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.