Am I depressed or? I can't cry

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 23 and the last time I remember that I cried was 2011. I have been going through a lot lately. Have been getting sick so much that I even lost my hearing and I have tinnitus and tremor on my arm, hand and leg. I feel like crying most of the times but I can't. I had neurological problems. Is it maybe the cause  ? I really want to cry. what is wrong with me?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ok , you say you've been through a lot lately you must be feeling really down

That much that you want to cry but can't

Whether it's related to your neurological

Problems Or not I don't know

Your current state may be related to how your feeling it would be worth making an appointment to address this problem

• Posted

okay, Thank you Daz, I did an appointment, going to see a doctor on Monday. Hope all will go well. Since I can't hear I have problems with communication.
  • Posted

Are you on any medication ? Sometimes anti-depressants can prevent you from crying. I had this problem a long time ago now and I was told to watch a real weepy movie...it certainly did the trick.  See if you can get a copy of Love Story, sit and watch it with the lights low or even out and I'll be surprised if you aren't moved my the experience. If you haven't been to the doctors as yet I suggest you go soonest.
    • Posted

yes, I'm on medication but I don't take anti-depressants. Wow, good that it worked, but I don't know if it can wwork for me since I can't hear. Does it have subtitles? Hope it is not scary, I don't like scary and horror.

I'll see a doctor about this. Thanks

• Posted

What has the doctor said about not crying?  Depression does not mean you necessarily cry, and as you have had a lot of problems lately, and you mention neurological problems, then it could be anything.  Is it a big problem that you can't cry?  Are you really worried about it? 

If you think there is something wrong because you can't cry, then have a word with your doctor.  I could not cry at all when I was on anti depressants.  Perhaps you are on some tablets that affect you the same.  Nothing to worry about.  You say you want to cry.  Why is that?

• Posted

I haven't talked to any doctor about not being able to cry although it started a long time back, I'm just getting worried now since the pain became more now. I lost my hearing and can not hear anything at all. On top of that I have tremor and I shake so much sometimes that I can't do most of the work. I type with just one hand. I have tinnitus in both ears too and the noise is just too loud. I don't think any tablets affected me because there are sometimes when I was not on any medication, but still could not cry no matter what the situation is. I could not even cry at my uncle's funeral.
  • Posted

Hi you are not alone.   I never cry either,  well not with grief but I will occasionally cry with frustration but never more than a few tears,  not properly.  I often feel if I cry I will never stop...  If this is supressed emotion then there might be a problem and counselling might help.  Other than that I don't know of any other help.

Not very helpful I'm afraid.

Bev x

• Posted

I've had years of not crying, but I was still depressed. I just learned to put up a mask in front of others and somehow I "unlearned" how to cry. 

The only things that make me cry are people who tell me in my face that they care for me and want me to be well and offer their help. Not always but often. 

I rarely cry because I am depressed, BUT i constantly FEEL like I want to cry and cant....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.