Am I doing something wrong?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't seem to be able to eat anywhere near 30g of fat in a day, I can get to around 15g and I eat really well! Should I be calorie counting as well?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

what is your typical days diet?

you can look at ways to increase your fat intake within the guidelines, dont forget you loose 1/3 of what you eat and your body still needs some to function properly.

my dr said this is not about calorie counting, to be sensible with calorie intake (a non-dieting woman should have about 2000 a day) but only fat g's need to be counted

• Posted

Hiya,

my g.p. told me that the orlistat works on the fat side of things, but in order to lose weight, you need to have a 'calorie defecit'

He said if you want to lose 1lb in a week, you have to eat 500cals A DAY LESS than you eat if you are maintaining weight.

How many cals your body needs depends on how active you are as well.

In the past Ive always found if I eat 1200cals a day, I lose weight. If I eat more than 1500 a day then I gain. The average calorie intake for a woman maintaining body weight - as Sparkles says - is 2000. If I ate 2000 a day, I'd be piling it on really fast!

Everyone is really different though - metabolism, height, weight, activity levels etc.

Hope this helps - and not confused you more?!

Pinkypie smile

• Posted

Cheers guys, a typical day would be WW toast or crumpets with either beans or spagetti and extra light cheese triangle, lunch would be a salad with either meat, rice or pasta and a pitta, WW yoghurt for afters. Tea well tonight I've made a pork fillet, mushroom and spinach pie made with a small amount of gravy topped with mashed potatoe made with a bit of 0% fat yoghurt, wholegrain mustard and spring onions!
  • Posted

don't forget you need to factor in any snacks and milk in drinks etc.

Wait to see if you have lost any weight before you start fretting about things that may not be a problem.

I honestly don't think I get near the 30g's mark in a day but do come on occasions close to the 15g's max per meal at my evening meal.

As long as you stick to the criteria and not going over the fat intake and you are not getting extremely hungry I would carry on as you are and discuss your diet and exercise with the Dr and see if he/she is happy with how things are going if not they will point you in the right direction for you.

• Posted

it does sound like you eat well

some days my intake is a bit low, i try and bump it with a low-fat hot choc (ranges from 0.8g-1.4g per cup depending on brand/flavour) or i have some extra low fat spread (about 1.9g per serving) where i may have not or have some low-fat salad dressing (about 0.8g per serving), i aim to have at least 20g a day because i went through a period (been on these since end of june 09) where i had about 15g a day and i felt crappy, someone on here suggested having a little more and i feel the difference.

it might be worth trying to drink green tea if you have a slow metabolism, it might help shift some lbs smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.