Am I failing

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 4 weeks post op. I can straighten my leg well but the bend is still poor.

I am very worried that I'm not doing as well as I should be

I do my excerise regular and start my excerise class tomorrow. My knee is just so tight. I try to bend it to the point that I'm I'm so much pain but it's so tight and stiff.

I use ice all the time.

I am on one crutch now. I can Potter in the kitchen to make dinner and am able to walk up the stairs with the operated leg but I drag it up before I stand on it. I am unable to bend it to the next step.

Is this normal? It's really getting me down and upset as I think that I'm failing and I don't fail!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

"I am very worried that I'm not doing as well as I should be..."

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no clue how many times we hear that exact phrase on this Forum...and you will ALWAYS get the same response:

Never compare your recovery to that of anyone else...PERIOD!!!

Everyone is different and has their own experience.  You will too.  Yes, there are some general timeframes things fall into but then there are people whose bodies do not produce scar tissue and skate through this in a matter of weeks, and then those who can't bend at all and need a manipulation (MUA).  A good 95% of us fall somewhere in between.

Never judge yourself or your recovery.

Get rid of all expectations, dates, "should-be's", etc.  Just hurts your head and makes your entire life miserable.  You'll also hear "marathon not a sprint".  Yup...full recovery with all the PT and then exercising to get your leg strength back (so you can climb stairs and walk without a limp) takes a year.  Plan for it...count on it.  Get done earlier, then great.  

Click my picture to the left, then under Discussions, click See All...  Got about 20 out there to help you out.

Good luck and please stop comparing yourself to anyone else...

• Posted

Thanks Chico

I've been waiting for your reply

I've been getting so down recently as I'm really trying to bend beyond my pain threshold.

I had to book into my chiropodist today as I can't cut my nails and she worried me when she said that if I can't get the bend. I might need manipulation which I'd not heard of so of course I googled it which made me feel like I was failing.

I am normally a very positive person but the only thing that's getting me down is the lack of bend.

• Posted

Helen, you are normal for you! I am 7 weeks post-op and many times over the weeks have worried that I wasn't where I should be. It was during this time that I found the Forum and realized that everybody is unique. I'm walking fairly fine without a cane but I still have the stiffness/ swelling and just continue to move forward as best I can. Still attending PT 3 times a week and doing my exercises at home. I ice as necessary and sometimes I find a little heat helps as well. PT has assured me that I am doing fine although my bend and straightening of my leg are not exactly where they need to be yet but I've decided to be patient with myself. Patience isn't always my strong suit! Some days I feel discouraged or the pain gets to me but I shall persevere! I try to remember I am better than I was last week or the week before . Best wishes to you in your journey, will see you around on the Forum.

• Posted

Thanks Mommerom

Replies like yours and Chico is what keeps me positive.

I am looking forward to attending the physio class tomorrow although a little apprehensive.

Good luck with your recovery and I'll keep you posted on the forum on my road to recovery

• Posted

I was the same as you Helen till I joined this forum now I just take every day as it comes and don't compare my progress with others.

Just look through the discussions on here there very helpful

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

I was apprehensive to attend PT after hearing stories from well-meaning friends. The way ours is set up is you get the next therapist in line so I don't always get the same person. Some are better than others, some really work with me and some just don't have a real heart for it. (I can do heel slides at home!) What I learned is I need to speak up and ask for what I need. The other thing is this is just a tool and it's what I do away from therapy that makes the biggest difference. That being said it is still all good and I'm grateful to have it. Good luck, Helen.

• Posted

I wouldn't get too worried at 4 weeks. This experience is intense and takes forever. I am at 14 weeks and still have stiffness and some intermittent pain. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you for your response Barry,

I find some comfort from the forum and reassurance that I'm doing OK when most days it doesn't feel like it.

Helen

• Posted

Thanks for your help and reassurance.

I had no idea what was in store for me to be honest, I knew I would have pain but not this bad and I certainly didn't realise that the knee wouldn't bend, be so tight and stiff.

Helen

• Posted

Don't worry, four weeks is very early and even if you did end up with MUA, I did, it is not the end of the world.  I got it and it was the best thing I did, hat a difference it made for me.  I was terrified of getting it but the positivity I got from this forum on others experiences with MUA gave me the confidence to go ahead.  I will be 2 years post-op on 26 October.   My journey wasn't an easy one, but I persevered with the exercises and the Physio and after 13-15 months I was better than I ever anticipated I could be.  

This forum was my lifesaver in the middle of the night as there is always someone on to help you see that what we are going through is normal.  People would tell me about their friend/relative who did so much better than me etc.  Ignore them.  We all find this forum as we are all in the same boat.

I am now brilliant, nobody would ever guess I had a TKR except for the scar obviously.  I have a great bend.  After Aqua class's when we do our exercised it is nothing for me to get my left foot on top of my right knee, that's a very good bend.

if you continue not getting a bend go back.  The MUA is nothing, or at least mine was.

good luck for the future.

liz

• Posted

Thanks for your help Liz

I attended my first physio session today and was able to speak to others and see how they were all struggling with their bend like me.

The physio measured my bend. He was surprised that I had only 85. He asked me what the bend was on the day I was discharged from hospital and was shocked when I told him 75 as I shouldn't have been discharged until I had a bend of 90 but they needed the bed!

At least I've improved since.

Helen

• Posted

As peopke have already said, it is very individual ab d everyone is different. You are doing brilliantly. It is hard to accept limitations and TKR is a hugh challenge! It is early days. Your body been through major trauma and it is reacting normally. You will need to be very patient with your knee and with yourself. Be resolved to be kind to yourself and your knee. It is not about achievement but allowance. Easy to get anxious about the slow pace of things, and fear the worst, whatever the worst might be for an individual person. Take a peek at my profile by going to the image by by name, and maybe visit my blog. I have devoted one of the pages to my own story. I spent a lot of time expressing my own frustrations and struggles. I needed to sort my head out! Writing helped. A large part of the challenge of a TKR is emotional and psyvhological. It is a very long read! Skim reading definately recommended! Best wishes to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny

I'm beginning to understand how long the recovery could be now and realise that I'm not failing.

I love the forum and yes I can always converse in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

I'll take a look at your blog. Thank you

Helen

• Posted

Glad to hear you realise you are not failing. 😊 relax and recover...It is a challenge but can be a very rewarding experience...deepens things...forces us in a corner in one sense, but teaches patience and perseverance like nothing else! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.