am I making things worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had a operation on my ankle 7 weeks ago I have plates n pins in it I fight professionally and I am usually fit n well but my ankle does not seem 2 b getting better it is still sore n very swollen where the plates are. I have a plastic boot that I wear through the day but take off at night I have been walking on this everyday, am I making things worse? I have been trying to rotate my foot at night but I have no movement wotsoever I'm thinking of going swimming tomorrow am I rushing things when can I get back in the ring

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Relax, it has only been 7 weeks. Did your doctor say that you could bear weight on it? Are you going to physical therapy? Do not try to rush it, only do what your doctor says you can. If you rush it, you will do more harm than good.
    • Posted

I'm not due at fracture clinic until 4th April I haven't been advised whether I can bear weight on it to be honest not been given much info, really not use to not training would a swim b okay?
    • Posted

My guess would be that you are non weight bearing, but not for sure. You definitely should not be moving it. I don't know about swimming. I know it is the easiest way to exercise it can you call your doctor and ask? I just don't want you to do more harm and end up with more surgery.
  • Posted

I am pretty active- used to work out a lot and have been weight lifting 3 hrs a week for the last 30 years- yet nothing near professional athlete status. I went back to doing my upper body workouts as usual one week after my surgery because I got the okay from the docs (after surgery with 11 screws and a plate with a trimalleolar -3 bone- fracture). Several doctors have told me to absolutely NOT start any lower body workouts no matter what until they give me the okay. I'll be in a cast for a total of 10 weeks and the cast gets changed every 2 weeks because it gets loose due to all my muscle loss. Real bummer to watch this to say the least! They told me if I push it before the bone heals I could run into needing future surgeries due to the bone not hearing properly from movement. They told me I'd also be much more likely to have arthritis if I push it. You sound like you aren't in a permanent cast, and your situation may be much different than mine, but thought I'd give you the advice I received in case it helps.
    • Posted

Thanks no not in cast I was in one in hospital now in a plastic boot I was given crutches and plastic boot but have recently left crutches n walkin on boot, thanks for the advice I'm obviously rushing things
  • Posted

I am also 7 weeks out with plates and screws. I have done the opposing you. I have flexed a lot and kept iced and in warm water to loosen and work out the stiffness. I just recently started walking 4 days ago with the boot and noticed the swelling and stiffness worse. I put on a snug tube sock and that helped with the swelling while wearing my boot. I take it off frequent to get the stiffness out. I layered a few socks and the heat and compression seems to be helping more so than without. I have a push wheelchair without the big wheels so while I am around the house I take the boot off and walk with both feet to strengthen and loosen the bad foot. I have almost all of my flex back except being able to squat.. Working on that.. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks yeah helps a lot I can squat but jus really can't rotate n hurts wen walking without boot
  • Posted

Hi Rimbo.  I am now 5 1/2 months post op from sugery to bone graft and screw together the medial mallelous (the knob on the inside of the ankle) which I originally broke in June 2015.  My ankle and lower leg still get very swelled from standing and walking on it. You need to discuss your lifestyle with your doctor to get his advice on weight bearing, exercise, and whatnot. Ankles are frustratingly slow to get back to normal.  FYI, at six weeks my doctor said I could start swimming, but ABSOLUTELY NO side-to-side foot/leg motion in the water.
  • Posted

I'd rest it as much as you can . Ankles are difficult to heal quickly. I'd speak to your Doctor and would try not to rush the recovery as hard and frustrating as that is . Best of luck
  • Posted

Hi. My opinion is that you are trying to rush your recovery which is natural but realistically I would take professional medical advise as to the recommendation of exercises etc. I'm almost 6 months since surgery and still cannot squat, walk with a limp and swollen ankle 24/7.

It is very frustrating especially as I was active, but recovery will not be rushed. Hope you recover quickly

• Posted

Thanks thought I was just annoying,, really didn't think it would take this long
  • Posted

I would suggest getting into physical therapy at about weeks 8-10 one thong they all seem to advocate and i did actually find it helped is contrast bath. het a big tupperware tub or anything you can easily put your ankle in. have two, one with ice water one with hot as you can water. for about 20 0r so minutes do 2 mins ice then 4 hot and go back and forth, also put some Epsom salts in the hot one they are soothing and will also help with swelling. good luck

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up