Am i misdiagnosed?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys, i am 19 years old.

Back in 2014, i started experiencing confusion, difficulty in concentration and memory loss (brain fog).

Apart from that, i was very very emotional.

I decided to visit a doctor and they referred me to a doctor in a hospital.

After tests of MRI, EGG, XRAY, urinary and blood test. The results came normal except for the blood tests. I was having Vitamin D deficiency and hypocortisol.

The next appointment, they decided to do Thyroid Screen Test on me which they have to withdraw my blood 2-3 times every 30 minutes after injecting a medicine in.

When the results came, my TSH were low 0.180 and T4 was normal 11.8.

I was then diagnosed HYPOTHYROIDISM. A medicine was prescribed to me. Its thyroxine 25mg tablet, hydrocortisone 25mg and other meds for my past history.

I consumed the medicine for about 5 months and stop. I even stop following up for my appointment. I decided to go a govern subsidies clinic to get my TSH and T4 tested after more than 7 months.

I was having weird symptoms. IBS, difficulty of falling asleep, extreme fatigue, brain fog came back, unexpected weight loss. In the 7 months of not following up, i loss 5KG and underweight. 53kg to 48.5kg now.

The results came in and the doctor told me i am having hyperthyroidism instead of hypothyroidism. The TSH was 0.19 and T4 was 23.7.

I decided to have a research on TSH levels. Many of the answers said whenever the TSH is low and T4 T3 are normal, it is just subclinical hyperthyroid.

I was wondering why am i diagnosed with Hypothyroidism instead? Am i misdiagnosed by the doctor and the medicine triggered the glands until i am now having hyperthyroidism?

What do you guys think? I have booked a fresh appt to follow up on my hyperthyroid.

In need of help of knowing if i was misdiagnosed. Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You said, "When the results came, my TSH were low at 0.180 and T4 was normal 11.8.  I was then diagnosed as hypothyroid".  Were you diagnosed hypo after those results came in?  If this is true, I believe you were misdiagnosed.  You did have subclinical HYPERhyroidism.  The other pattern I see in patients who go from hyper to hypo and back again, depending on what meds they are taking is patients who have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  This is usually diagnosed by checking for antibodies which is a blood test.

• Posted

Hi Lynda.

Yes, i was diagnosed after the test and was given levothyroxine 25mcg as my meds.

My latest results for TSH is 0.190 and T4 is 23.7.

Oh no! No wonder my T4 was high. I have been having hyperthyroid's symptoms. My worst was insomnia. It was so bad and i did not slept for the whole day.

I decided to meet a doctor for a proper diagnosis now. Its a mistake to have hypothyroid when i was having subclinical hyperthyroidism. So risky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.