Am I missing out?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my knee done in England on the NHS 3.5 weeks ago. My post op care consists of 2 week and 6 week physio and then 6 months visit to the consultant.

Its not that I'm longing to be tortured by the physio but it seems everyone on here has a lot more to do with physios.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need more physio than that. Are you saying once after 2 weeks and once after 6? I started physio within a week and wen tuntil my bend was 110. I suggest you get a small pedal pusher and really work on your bend. It will hurt but is worth it. I am in Wales but I don't think it's the country, it's the hospital area you're in.
    • Posted

Sobeedoo, many of us have bought them through Amazon. They cost about £20. They are just a small pedal machine that you can use even sitting on the sofa. They really do work and you can't start early enough. Mine folds up when not in use. Easy to transport David!
  • Posted

I had my knee done Private two weeks ago , I was at Physio yesterday (for 10minutes to be assessed)and have a follow up appointment 8th Jan. They then said they had classes that I could attend , but I work abroad so this not possible - that will be the extent of my physio appointments !
    • Posted

good luck, david! i hope you find time to do your exercises but perhaps you are one of those whose bend is already at over 100 at week 2? this is the most important time to get as much bend as possible, whilst it is still "soft". leaving it until january 8 is ... sorry if this sounds harsh, careless and unprofessional.
    • Posted

Perhaps you should consider taking some time off to concentrate on your knee rather than leaving the country without a comprehensive exercise plan.  Without exercise, your surgery is probably doomed to fail.
    • Posted

Hi Britta , am probably around 100 degree bend now yes , u not the first to say though that I should be having more physio though. Doing my exercises still every day, get my staples out later today which will help too as feel the dressing is restricting me also , walking up and down stairs too 'normally' now.
    • Posted

all i can say is ... wow and i am very envious. at week 2 up and down stairs normally blows my mind. i do it now, at 13.4 weeks, very, very cautiously so you can imagine. well done.
    • Posted

Hi Liz , more time off would be great but unfortunately not an option for me. I will of course continue to do exercise , never suggested I would not be ? I am also scheduled for my second knee mid april
    • Posted

Exceptional work David. We are all different and have different knees. But you are eorking hard and it pays off well done
    • Posted

Reading the various forums here is crystal clear how different we all are and as a result have different recovery timetables. A good friend of ours works at a local hospital on the knee ward and came to see me a week after my op was staggered how little swelling I had and that I was getting around unaided. Dont get me wrong it still hurts , a lot (off painkillers now) but we have to push ourselves to the limits I think and we will reap the rewards
  • Posted

Guess it's uptown ourselves to commit to the bend
    • Posted

Predictive text is so funny 
  • Posted

oh dear, that's not really enough in my opinion. i would still be on crutches if that's all i had received. but i am based out of switzerland so a bit different. i am really cringing when i write this but i am getting physio 4 times a week at the moment :-( i also have the bendy machine at home which the uk has mothballed and am getting the pedaling machine (just pedals, similar to a bike) which you can use sitting or lying down just like a bike. caz has also just posted that the stationary bike has really helped her. carol and joan have the pedaling machine and swear by it. go to amazon, they sell it online.

in a nutshell: not enough in my opinion so you need to be super active yourself or pay for physio privately.

• Posted

I dont know be ause I still didn.t have phisio and no operation still so cant say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.