Am I missing out?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my knee done in England on the NHS 3.5 weeks ago. My post op care consists of 2 week and 6 week physio and then 6 months visit to the consultant.

Its not that I'm longing to be tortured by the physio but it seems everyone on here has a lot more to do with physios.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had daily physio while in hospital (4 sessions) and was then discharged with an exercise ball and a very comprehensive book with the exercises I had to do marked out.  I will see my physio again this Monday, when I go back for staple removal and I expect she will mark further exercises in the book for me to progress to.  My next visit will probably be three weeks later when I see the consultant for the six week check up, and then I guess I will be on my own!  The book given to me is very comprehensive and I believe it is as good as seeing a physio more regularly.  You can ask your GP to refer you for physio if the hospital physio have not done so and you feel you are missing out.
  • Posted

That's pretty much the same with me. Saw physio three weeks after op and told not straight enough so given more exercises to straighten then appointment three weeks later ( next thurs) and nothing in between. When I see them next week I am going to ask for more physio. Got my six week appointment with consultant on Tuesday so waiting too see what he says. My bend is doing ok and I get around the house unaided now and just use one stick outside.
  • Posted

I have been been in a few weeks. I was told 6 weeks home care and 6 months of out care pt  and rest life with X-rays. I fill sorry for some on here. But this sight is awesome. Recovery hard. I've had partial. And they said shorter recovery. But harder lol. 
  • Posted

I only saw the physio in hospital.  I couldn't be bothered to trail to the hospital so just did the exercises myself.  When I was back to work and walking well I got a personal trainer at the gym and that was a great help.  I got mine done privately in the UK, saw the consultant after 6 weeks and that was that.  I'm very pleased with my results.
  • Posted

Hi I too live I. The UK and only had 5 half hour sessions at physio 

reading othe posts from different countries I think we definitely miss out on the Physio 

• Posted

think were suposed to do our own once you know what to do , yhe hospital where i had mine done, do a knee class where you have about 9 people all have a different exercise for 5 mins and then swop , and the phyiso s were there to make sure you were doing it right , this way we all got an hour a week in a lot less time than seperate visits , we all had 10 mins with the phyiso while they measured the bend etc , we were also put on an sos when you can call and ask for hepl .
    • Posted

That sounds better than my 5 half hour sessions 

but my stitch was one long continuous dissolvable one ...so that was no problem.

I got lots of exercises off line and a small exercise sheet on coming out of hospital 

• Posted

no your not missing out , i got 3 phyiso with my first and 1 with my 2nd they will know what they will expect from you and should give you a phone no to call if your worried ,keep up with your exercises and you should be fine , in fact with my 2nd tkr i didnt even have my stitches taken out no one arrived so i snipped them my self lol , you can always call if you feel you need too .good luck
    • Posted

Ouch brave. I know I could not have did it. Cause j know when j had scopes. It stung bad. Especially when they was imbedded in the skin. I was glue on the outside and stitches in.  
    • Posted

Love it DIY. Next they will give us saws and shimmers and a manual. Lol.

i was just worried when I heard others having weekly physio. I am quite happy to do the exercises and turn up a few weeks later for show and tell.

• Posted

Łol show tell 😜 my hub says wimps r us😄 I said let me cut Ya knee saw bones lol. 
    • Posted

Show him the op on YouTube he'll gain a new respect for you. And if he can't watch it all the way through then you can says 'who's the wimp' . LOL
    • Posted

Lol nah just do that. He thinks he can handle it all. He had heart attack. And big baby was grump at first when he went in. Then he was like a big baby. I said know u be in my knee. I have same size cut as TKR I was told. But just have partial. My doc said my patellia is gone. So that painful pop won't be there. I said when lol cause still pops.  

But regardless men is the babies😂😜

• Posted

Oh wait lol that's men that has not been through it.  Cause the guy who did both knees. Wow need medal.  But my guy is the whimsy baby.  He is rally lol 6ft2 220 lb and still cry like girl when he gets sick. Baby why me get me this.  It's funny.  Dag gone I am mean.  But he does help me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.