Am i over doing it.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am coming up to 6 weeks post op for a PKR and i was beating myself up before i came across this forum, thinking i was not doing very well.

I guess it is listening to other people who say they have done better.

At 4 weeks my bend was 110° the pain is manageable. I cannot take ibuprofen so just co codamol and paracetamol. Sleeping at night is hit

Miss as the nerves just seem to go haywire at 2 in the morning. I have had to help look after my grandchildren a day a week so try to rest when i can.

The swelling can be a problem sometimes and i ice it and elevate it but i have just started to walk without a crutch for about 10 mins out side. The

Problem i seem to he having st the moment is i start to limp if i walk for longer than the 10 mins. I am due back to work in a weeks time and have to

Take 2 buses. Not sure why it gets stiff and i limp

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Forget the other people and how well they are supposedly doing. There's always someone with a tale of the miraculous healing, which most of the time is a 3rd cousin of a close friend of another friends imagination. We all heal differently in so many ways. If you take all of this outside noise in you will think you are going to be a cripple the rest of your life. Its a process and not something that can be short circuited by hurrying or trying to keep pace with a phantom.
  • Posted

Hi Lindsey,just read your mess and needed to contact you right away ,you cannot take co,codamol and paracetamol together, because co codamol contains paracetamol, l take co codamol and naproxen which is an anti.inflamatory med. Pse stop your combination.
    • Posted

Hi blingobling33146 because i cannot take many of the anti inflammatories as they cause palpations. I usually take 1 30/500 co codamol and 1 500 paracetamo as 1000mg of paracetamol is ok to take. One i first came out of hospital they put me on 2 30mg codeine and paracetamol but i cut this down quite quickly as they made my stomach feel sick, PT says that this can happen.

My doctor asked if i wanted to try naproxen but was going to have to take lansoprole as well to protect the stomach in the end it was too many tablets.

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,obviously you have been told what you can take,it's right if you take the Naproxen you have to take lansoprole l do but to be honest taking that protects your stomach anyway against all melds, Turemic you can get from any Holland and Barrett is a herbal anti-inflamatory that's an alternative to Naproxen, l use that if l want to take a break from Naproxen,hope things improve keep posting .
    • Posted

Hi blingobling, yes i have been making golden milk which has turmeric and i do find it helps. It does actually help with the swelling i quite like the taste as well found the recipe on you tube
    • Posted

I'll have to try turemic. Have also got naproxen and lansopole and coodomol but always feel sick when on them.
    • Posted

Make sure you have something on your stomach.........milk is usually a good idea....when you take any kind of pain meds. Never on an empty stomach.
  • Posted

Lindsey, sounds like you are doing ok. I have found listening to others in these discussions helps a lot. It's a rollercoaster ride so hang on. And we all heal at different rates. My Ortho didn't send me to PT and was more concerned with straightening then bending. After my first PKR I was walking without an aid 3 weeks after surgery. I was aid free 2nd surgery in 10 days. The 2nd knee has been more painful thruout my whole body than the first. Take your time walking and work at taking good steps!! I've had to learn to walk slower and be patient. Good Luck
    • Posted

Hi tashia51123 yes i think you are right i have to learn to slow down and take my time walking. I have always been used to rushing around getting grand kids to and from school/nursery i just need to re educate myself
    • Posted

It's hard Lindsey. I'm the chick that'll run you down in Wal-Mart if you aren't moving fast enough. My 15 yr old daughter has been so awesome the last 2 yrs. She's had to pick up all the slack in the barn with our horses. My family would do more for me if I let them but I'm a tad stubborn!!! Lol. I used to run around killing myself on my days off from work but not now. I need those days for me !!
  • Posted

Hi Lindsey l jjust noticed you made a comment about limping after 10 min my physio told me if l limp then l need to use my stick it's because the muscle is not strong enough.l am 12 wk post op back to work tommorrow here's goes 9 hr shift.
    • Posted

I hope your shift goes well and you dont get too tired. I did think about taking my crutch with me when i go out and use it when i notice i am limping
    • Posted

Try a cane, but use it all the time until you are 100%.  Using a crutch inhibits your walking. Your sense of balance is affected. Using a cane gives you the right kind of support
  • Posted

Did I read this correctly you said you only was off for four weeks ? My doctor gave me for months off after this total knee replacement and if I do feel better he'll let me go back to work but it could take up to six months depending how you feel and how you walking I just can't believe you're going to work so soon I think you should take more time off in a doctors note and send it to your employee
    • Posted

Hi luz301 i am due back to work next week which will be 6 weeks that is the sick note the consultant gave me. I am due to see the consultant again this week and physio as well so maybe will need to speak to them about a sick note for a little longer.Fingers crossed as dont feel quite ready yet.
    • Posted

My sick note from consultant was for 6 weeks so got my gp to give me another one for a further 6 weeks which he did.
    • Posted

Wow but you think you can work???I will make two month and one week soon I still feel stiff and must band hurts like hell....I hope that you can get another two weeks off or more.. good luck
    • Posted

Obviously everybody here has a much better employer than me. I was only allowed 20 hrs paid leave. So I was back to work in 2 weeks. What loophole did I miss????
    • Posted

Are you in the uk? I had only been in my job 4 months when I had my operation and took 12 weeks off.  I got one month full pay and two months half pay topped up with Statory Sick pay.
    • Posted

Not in the UK Tracy. I'm in the states. It's not easy to get medical leave especially if you work in retail. Like most companies mine only offers medical leave to store managers. I'm an asst. Store manager and had to pick up my own insurance. I've made it thru tho.
    • Posted

After looking at many posts on here it appears health care in the 2 countries is so very different. In the UK the wait for services is very long. In most areas of the US we can expect an MRI within a week after Dr. Has written an order and if surgery is needed, anything ova 4 to 6 weeks is almost unheard of unless their are extenuating circumstances. In The UK post surgery services are somewhat limited and Dr's sign off patients in justvacfew weeks where here post surgery care is months not weeks.. However when it comes to extended paid leaves and companies working with employees that have unusual situations its completely reversed. Seems that in the UK the employee is granted whatever it takes time wise and extensions are easily granted. In the States every company has its own established sick leave policy and unless you have an usual situation Where you can accumulate personal days, 6 weeks is about max and part of that may not be paid. In many cases there is little or no job protection and you can be terminated if it goes on indefinitely. I worked for an organization that have personal days in lieu of annual vacation. You accumulated a number of additional days every pay period and you could use these for vacation or sick leave. If you started Jan 1 with a clean slate and didn't use any all year you had about 8 weeks at the end of the year. I saw people taking personal days as soon as they got one and had nothing for emergencies. When I retired the last day of Dec was my final day but I had enough personal days that I stayed on the the payroll with full benefits until the end of April when my pension lived in. So it seems that as an end result there are tradoffs that we have to live with and I guess no-one has the best of everything all the time.
    • Posted

That's awful.  Wishing you all the best. Your daughter sounds lovely. Enjoy the horses.
    • Posted

So true. When I finally had enough of the meds not working I got in to an Ortho in a week. I had x-rays done and had a surgery date. Now because of work schedule I didn't have surgery right away. Unfortunately my employer only gives 20 hrs per year of sick or vacation. So I took half first drudgery and was back to work after 10 days . Took rest 2nd surgery and was back in 14 days. Luckily my boss let me ice and get legs up whenever and as often as needed. I would have gone insane at home anyways!! I see my Ortho regularly . See my GP for first time since mid summer next week. He will get to clear his computer of all those old drugs I took. Lol
    • Posted

Saw GP end of  June 2015. I then saw my consultant here in the uk August 6th 2015 and had my Right PKR Oct 7th 2015 and again saw him March 10th and having my left knee replacement next week. To me that seems pretty quick. 
    • Posted

June to Oct would be an unusually long time here unless there was some reason.....an infection that needed cleared or the patients had a reason for delaying. Rural areas may have a little longer delays but metro areas Definately not. Its what you are used to that works. I have seen a number of people say theycouldntvget an MRI for 4 months or longer and that just seems insane to someone in the US as we seem to have imagining centers everywhere. More and more open mri's for people that don't like being pushed through a tube.
    • Posted

I am in the states also.  Saw ortho..he took X-rays in office...was bone on bone...had surgery 5 weeks later.  I was bone on bone for over a year prior...just kept putting off the inevitable.  Post surgery was good here....was up and had PT day after surgery.  I had in home PT 2 x a week for 1st month then out patient PT 2x weekly.  Go back to ortho tomorrow.  PT will be on me now...unless doc says otherwise.

• Posted

Saw physiotherapist two days before op then 2 and 6 weeks after op.  We are given excercises to do at home unless there is a problem and then we go back.  i think that this is the norm in the uk
    • Posted

Would be different for Private Health Insurance but on the NHS we have guidelines on 18 weeks to treatment. Sometimes may take longer but they should treat you within that time frame.
    • Posted

I've seen several people post they were just handed the set of instructions prior to leaving the hospital and never saw a therapist until they ran into problems so it must be sort of a hospital or surgeon based decision. Again, it's all in what you are used to that seems right. We basically have 4 different pay systems: cash out of pocket where the patients had no insurance and is personally responsible. (applies mostly to the super rich oil county guys that come over here for treatment)

Private insurance where rate of payment is both from insurance and co pays by the patients depending on the plan. Sometimes it's just a simple deductible.

The 3rd level is for retirees that have paid into a plan all their working career and then supplement this with personal insurance that fills in gaps. That is where I am. In 13 years with all the surgeries I've had I've never paid a cent out of pocket except for small amounts of prescription copays.

The last is Medicare which is for indigent coverage. Only a moderate number of Dr's and hospitals accept Medicare as the rate of pay is very low.

One problem we are having is the illegal aliens are sucking the life out of the system and the native poor are being bypassed.

No one is supposed to receive a different level of service regardless of their ability to pay or The type of coverage they have.

• Posted

I see.  Makes sense...the PT that came to my house was nice.  She would have me do a few of the exercises she had given...be sure I was still doing them correctly, and then she would add new ones.
    • Posted

Ah let's not forget Obama care forced into the system. And the illegals are sucking the life out of more than just our healthcare system.
    • Posted

So true but I was trying for a little PC.... I ape out the true feelings with my coffee group in the mornings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.