Am I really depressed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks. Looking for a little advice. I've just been diagnosed with depression and anxiety which has taken me by surprise. Anxiety I'm sure I have as it cripples me every day but I'm worried that I've been misdiagnosed with depression. I'm not a doctor so I know that sounds silly but some days I wake up and I feel ok, anxiety everyday, but not always a low mood. Some days I wake up I struggle to get out of bed but that's not as often as the good days. When I google the symptoms of depression I do have many of the emotional and physical ones listed, but when I feel ok I find it difficult to understand depression. My GP has prescribed me sertaline 50mg which I am taking. I have another appointment in 2 weeks to see how things are but I'm worried when I tell her I don't know if I have depression she'll think I'm wasting her time. And anxiety kicks in lol. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

C

Anxiety is generally, initially treated the same, the two conditions may be grouped together so you need not worry.

Your GP has got all in hand.

You may find your GP may increase your medication at your next appointment, they will be checking if you are ok with your medication

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for your response Bob. I woke up today and it's a bad day. I smile on the outside and probably appear fine to others but inside I just feel so low. I'm at work but the thought of doing anything is just draining, but I feel like I have to to be chatty etc. So people think I'm fine. I dont want anyone to ask if I'm okay! Sorry, just had to rant a little lol. 

• Posted

This sort of feeling confuses me. I don't know how I can feel okay one day and not the next, I just think I'm being silly and will snap out of it. 

• Posted

I also have depression i have fantastic days then the next i will be having panic attacks and anxious and tearful.  I try calm myself down and think of positives but it can be hard.  Hope you get ontop of it all and everyone on here is so supportive.
    • Posted

Thank you, Julie. I'm sorry you're going through this too. It's good to know that people on here are supportive. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.