Am i too old to go on HRT at 60

Posted , 4 users are following.

I ve been suffering with the Menopause for years now, tried all sorts of remedies, been to the doctors about going on HRT and was advised against it. I turn 60 next month and have read that it is not advisable to start HRT over the age of 60, but i am so fed up of feeling so depressed and crying all the time, not sleeping, no energy, i m going back to the doctors next week for advice and to ask about HRT, just feel desperate! Any other over 60 s out their ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi anni 

hope some ladies age 60 reply and help you..

i am aged 51 ( in june) and post menopause after a long ten year peri no HRT.

i must say i am real sick of having an aching body etc ..

have you seen a Gyno rather than a GP to advise you on HRT at 60 

the only thing thats HRT i use is Ovestin ' Estriol' vaginal Ovules for vaginal dryness only .. Doesnt help other things but i couldnt be with out them ..

jay x

• Posted

I am going on 64 and been on HRT for 26 years.  Best invention ever.  Go for it but tell your dr you want bio-identical oestrogen.  At the moment, that is Oestrodiol matrix patches, but you can get a compound chemist to make up pellets for implants at a later date with a script from your dr.

It is really better to go on HRT early, not years later, though.  Tell your dr to research latest on HRT, not the old flawed research, if she still objects.  Wait till she has to go through it.  It can be easy for some, and they think it should be easy for all.  But that is not the case, as we are all made up differently.

Without HRT, husband would have been long gone, other relationships would have suffered, and I might not be here myself.  Drs contribute to divorces, financial hardships, etc. by their obstinant stances.

Better still, do your own research, (proper medical studies), print it off and take it to dr with you.  Don't rely on info from blogs like this one.

• Posted

Sheryl you have hit the nail on the head I'm thinking of printing off the relief that HRT is giving to ladies , I'm in agony at
    • Posted

At present with horrendous stabbing type burning pain in my knees n legs but gp n MRI state it's d
    • Posted

Sorry my mobile playing up while typing gp days degenerative arthritis the MRI shows same but I can't put up with this sudden onset of pain n like yu say they need go through it to realise whst it's like, my sister read an article on here n she said she may aswell have been reading about me as the lady was experiencing everything I have and started HRT n symptoms have eased so I'm back to gp to see if he can suggest I try some menopausal meds I had hysterectomy in 91 aged 33
    • Posted

You have been without HRT since 91 age 33!  If so, that is criminal!!  I had my hysterectomy and ovaries removed at age 38 but luckily my gyne had no hesitation putting me on HRT - the implant.  For some, menopause never goes away.

However, as I was no longer menstruating I started iron overloading although it took my gp 9 years to diagnose and only when one of my hips broke up from osteo-necrosis.  My blood was so thick with iron it was not getting into the finer capilliaries that feed the bone, so the bone died.

I had severe fatigue, all over body pain, esp in leg and hip, all the obvious symptoms of haemochromatosis.  My gp just thought it was thyroid (my levels were ok), or menopause (I was using HRT!).  Foggy brain, bad memory, hard to concentrate - yeah, similar symptoms to menopause.  Some get depression and severe mood problems.  Sound familiar?

Ended up with a lot of complications of haemochromatosis, heart, arthritis, both hips replaced, digestion pain/duodenal ulcers, loss of muscle, pituitary gland tumour, half thyroid removed, cancerous parotid gland tumour, because of having iron overload in my body for years.  We are prone to cancer and Helicobacter pylori because they thrive on iron.  Still suffering now even though I have been "de-ironed".

Ask your dr for the Iron Studies test, not just iron, just to eliminate that.  It occurs in one in 200 people which is very high stats.

A lot of ignorant drs would say I should go off HRT which is so untrue and I tell them to go jump, I am not going off HRT for anyone - ever.  It is my savour.  After discovering my prolactinoma, endocrinologist changed his tune and said stay on HRT - I actually needed more oestrogen.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you .  If not, be assertive.

• Posted

Hi sheryl

Thank you for your reply

Yes I've not been in any supplements since 1991 they told me as I had 1 ovary that would be effective but I'm not so sure !!

I've also had acutely bk from another forum also stating that I need to have blood tests specifically for different things I have an appoint on Monday AGAIN to see my GP he be sick of the sight of me Lol

This morning I have the nausea n anxiety feeling n had night sweats last night everything is pointing in the direction just hope my gp listens to me xx

Many thanks for your reply much appreciated x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.