Amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was prescribed 10mg amitriptyline to take before bed due to insomnia. Took one the first night and slept well. Took one second night and was awake all night, feeling dizzy and body jolting.

Help please

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

10mg is quite a low dose. I take 150mg for depression and have no problem going to sleep. It's quite an old anti depressant but it does work, albeit with side effects. I certainly feel the improvement in my mood. Maybe you need to ask the doc to prescribe a higher dose?

• Posted

That's a low dose. I found that 10mg would help me stay asleep but not get to sleep if that makes sense? For first week or so groggy and tired then it tends to wear off. You could try asking for higher dose? I'm starting back on them tomorrow for insomnia and ibs so be interesting to see what I'm like. I also suffer from depression and the anti depressant I was on was keeping me awake. My mood had lifted anyway so he said just to take the amitrpteline..... We shall see. You may get dry mouth too but not unbearable. Good luck

• Posted

Also don't take just before bed few hours before they take a while to kick in

• Posted

Yes I took it at 7pm last night but couldn't sleep at all. The night before slept brilliant and only had a dry mouth

• Posted

That's a shame. Give it a bit longer. Thing was that is its not a sleeping pill as such but promotes sleep. Feel your pain had really bad insomnia earlier in year. Finally got into a sleep pattern months later then the anti depressants kept me awake! Been on night nurse just to get to sleep! So wondering what tomorrow night will be like when I start the amitrpteline again!

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I am following your thread as I only started this last week and the jittery feeling the next day is beyond belief. It's like I've had 3 coffees and uppers. I feel almost like I shouldn't be driving. Hoping to hear if others have had this and how long it lasts. Best of luck.

• Posted

Well first anitrpteline last night. Didn't feel tired at all and I took about 7.45 had to have a small dose of night nurse to help me get to sleep! Bit tired this morning but nothing out of the ordinary but my ibs is killing me that was supposed to help with that too lol. Mood dipped slightly. Although the sertaline kept me awake and made me want the loo a lot my mood had lifted and was more motivated. Early days I know but not going to jump straight to 20mg after one night.........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.