Amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been put on amitriptyline for nerve pain for bulging dehydrated lower disc and a bulging in my neck...I've been on it for about 7 weeks and started on 5mg because I didn't want to take it but slowly I've gone up to 10mg and I'm feeling really tired and an aching head is this normal and should I just stick with it? Thanks x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I take 50mg now from 75mg and have been on them for over ten years.

When we are prescribed this medication the drug is in 10mg and 25mg tbs, you should not split the 10mg tbs to five, that level of medication is so very low I cannot see how it will work.

Like you I take this for nerve pain, I have a Severe Chronic Condition that affects my joints, tendons and nerves. The medication is an AD, the dose they give for our problems is low so you need to take your medication and hopefully you will get relief. The medication is given on occasions to treat sleepness nights so the best time to take this medication is about thirty mins before sleep. I hope all works out for your condition

BOB

• Posted

Hi sorry u have nerve pain.I been having burning sensation in my head for last 4 5 weeks.doc says possible nerve damage he put me on amtrypline but I could not cope with them so he put me on duloxetine they are worse. I'm still got burning head. Do u think it can be nerve damage. I'm at wits end

• Posted

Desmond your headache sounds like stress although some nerve damage can effect headaches etc. 

It is difficult in my case I take a big tranche of different medications, including Opiate type drugs, they can cause headaches.

It does sound however your pain is caused by referred from neck pain and that could cause a stress headache.

There are seveal other medications you could try although you need to give them time to work. Duloxetine is a cleaner medication than Amytryptalene, you should be patient with your medications

BOB

• Posted

Cheers bob I try. It's just that I work in a factory all day and the tablets make me feel space out. Plus I like to have a few beers at the weekend with my mate but doc says I can't have drink on amitriptyline or duloxetine. I don't want the pain but also don't want to stop in every weekend .I need to have a life. Have you had a beer on amitriptyline. Cheers

• Posted

Desmond

I like a couple of drinks a few nights a week and will be partaking tonight, I will drink at home and I do not go out. Because of my condition I have to be able to have some form of enjoyment so I will have a strong Ale and a treble Wiskey tonight, it has always been aproved by my Gp in the past. They must be more understanding up North.

I feel sorry at your loss Lol.

BOB

• Posted

Cheers mate I feel a lot better now knowing someone actually has a drink on them. Your life saver. I do get anxious u probably can tell. Cheers for reply I appreciate it.
    • Posted

Hi I've been taking 30mg for burning neck and head since November which started shortly after partial thyroidectomy possible nerve damage during surgery or nerved being squashed by tight muscles. Things are beginning to improve and not sure if due to the drugs or physio I am having. Anyway whilst I would not encourage to drink on tablets which instruct no alcohol, personally I have a couple of glasses of wine a couple of days a week without any prblem

• Posted

Hi marlilyn .how would you describe the burning in head.min always left hand side it's there 24/7.I'm going to risk a couple of beers weekend see how I feel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.