Amitriptyline not working anymore

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have trigeminal neuralgia an its breaking through my meds ive been on it 2 months an my pain sucks i am taking gabapentin 900 mg a day an amitriptyline 10 mg im thinking of going up to 20 mg

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had Trigeminal Neuralgia in the crown and left side down of my head and know how much it hurts. I was denied sleep and my scalp became swollen from the terrible pain. I was put on Gabapenten and within 3 months the pain had all but disappeared. I stayed on it for another month until I was pain free and slowly came off the meds. You are on a high dose, higher than I was, and I feel for you that the pain is breaking through. However, I'm not overly sure that upping the Amitriptyline would help much and this would be best discussed with your GP. Where on the head/face do you suffer the pain? Gabapenten is known to be the most helpful drug for this painful condition and if it is breaking through the dose you are on the only other alternative I know of is Pregabalin (very similar to Gabapenten and used for neuropathic pain as well). I am on Pregabalin for a different pain now and it works well for me. The side effects can be daunting but some patients need to take it just to get a pain-free life. Talk to your GP about this - I know of some people who have to swap between the two as one will cease to work and then swap to the other and then back again as necessary. Sorry I can't be  of more help but hope you get something sorted soon.

• Posted

I tried Lyrica it made my left arm weak an i could feel my heart beat in it very scary an gabapentin ive become immune to it
    • Posted

Two nerves are effected the top an middle nerve by my nose an forhead i got this disease from an ear infection
  • Posted

Isn't it strange how side effects differ between patients to such a degree?! I imagine that the trigeminal neuralgia in the face is even more distressing than the back of the head. Gabapenten worked for this but when I suffered severely trapped sciatic nerves because my lower 3 vertabra had crumbled (severe Osteoporosis) Gabapenten did not touch the pain and made me dizzy along with horrendous vivid nightmares...that's why GP put me on Lyrica. I started on Amitrip but that triggered a rare form of sudden onset Glaucoma and I nearly went blind on it so can never ever take it again. As I said, it is strange how these drugs individually cause different side effects in patients! Let me know how you get on upping to 20mg.

• Posted

Dang im actually getting osteoporosis check up here soon i too could have that im not sure yet i have tried Lyrica it works really good but i had a scary side effect my left arm went weak an i could feel my heart beating hard in my arm freaked me out but it did work so good
    • Posted

How long did you take it for? Side effects do lessen the longer you are on it, ie I still have a dry mouth and sometimes feel a bit dizzy, but it deals with my pain and that is all I ask. I haven't heard of your side effect I must be honest. maybe it is just something that would pass with time do you think? At the end of the day, people who live with the severest form of pain 24/7 need to take something that alleviates that pain just to live a reasonably normal day to day life. As for Osteoporosis please don't scare yourself - It can ocasionally hit younger people but normally it happens to the over 50's. Keep up your calcium intake, get out in the sun (for Vitamin D) and when possible do weight bearing exercise.  Be kind to yourself and hope you feel somewhat better soon.

• Posted

I have a condition that can cause it I hope I don't have it but i want to check it every two years my calcium is pretty good i got in to the doctor weds so im going in to get some info or up my dose maybe change my medication

• Posted

An yes if i could get away from my pain anything i could do would be awesome
    • Posted

Just keep your eye on your bone density - as you say you see your Doctor regularly and I'm sure you will be ok. As for the burning in your arms are you sure which med it is you take is the cause or could it be a combination - best ask your GP.

• Posted

Hi did your legs burn too ? Are you still on amitryptiline ? Ur tn caused by ear infection? Were u told it would go away ?
    • Posted

Just my arms. An i think i had a allergic reaction to it because i got really hot my eyes burned an i got hives on my arms for several days. An yes my tn was caused by an ear infection its pretty much neuropathy not really classic tn. No one knows if it will go away
    • Posted

Super crushing pain feels like burning stabbing pain electric shocks its constantly doing this to me the teeth pain is the worst part

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.