Amlodipine

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was on 5mg Amlodipine for yrs and didn't notice significant side effects except for lack of energy and general feeling of fatigue. Following a spell of stress when my BP increased my Doc prescribed Ibersartan , then weeks later increased the Amlodipine to 10mg Since then I have had really bad tendonitis - with the pain creeping up to my calves at times. Acupuncture helped a little but it's still there on the tendons, and like many others the swollen ankles etc. Energy levels are low and I have a general lack of enthusiasm for anything. Is there an alternative to this medication?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are many BP medications and combinations of them which are possible. The only way to move forward is in discussion with your  GP. 
  • Posted

Hello peta, all I would say is talk to your GP asap and try a different combination.  When my hubby's Amlodipine was increased from 5 to 10mg he too acquired the swollen ankles.  His GP then reduced the Amlodipine down to 5mg and added in a low dose of Ramipril since when he has been fine.

I'm a different kettle of fish, having suffered very swollen ankles on just a baby dose of Amlodipine and within a couple of months developed a rash on the lower legs diagnosed as varicose eczema.  Was switched to Rampipril which made me feel unwell.  Diltiazem was tried but swelling recurred albeit over a longer period.  Losartan was added but I finally pleaded to be taken off the Diltiazem due to the severe ankle swelling and a bowel problem, considered by the pharmacist to be down to a combination of the two pills but more likely to be from the Diltiazem.  Immediately on stopping the Diltiazem one of my toes swelled and became very red and sore - gout and infection have been ruled out but am now about to have my arteries scanned.  My body doesn't like any of the pills it seems, although am about to add yet another pill to the Losartan!  I'm a lost cause as far as treating my BP is concerned!  I do hope you fare better.

• Posted

Thanks for the info - hope they find a resolution for you quickly.
  • Posted

We're often told that a major cause of hypertension is being over weight.  How many in this discussion are over-weight?
    • Posted

Louise, I was told by a consultant a few years ago that for every stone of weight lost, the BP could reduce by up to 10%.  At 5ft.4in, and weighing 10 stone, I do just come into the 'normal' range - I doubt whether losing weight would help my BP.  Salt can be another factor, but I don't add any salt to my food and don't eat any processed foods which can contain a lot of salt. 
    • Posted

I'm 5 ft 4in, too.  My hypertension started when I was 8st 10lbs.  I'd like to be that again, though!
  • Posted

Hello Petra

I was also prescribed Amlodipine 5mg tablets, which I took for 8 weeks, Both my legs and ankles started to swell and a very sore and red rash appeared on my left ankle.

The swelling became so severe that I couldn’t move my feet up or down so walking became very difficult. The rash became very itchy and flaky like eczema which spread from my left angle to my knee.

I took myself off Amlodpine and went with out any medication for 4 weeks, in which my blood pressure began to rise again and my legs and ankles stayed the same

My GP prescribed Losartan 25mg two weeks ago, and my blood pressure is going down very slowly, but my legs are still very swollen so I have been put on Furosemide 20mg (Diuretic) to try and reduce the water in my legs.

One leg has gone down near to normal size but but my left leg is still swollen with the eczema type rash, on which I am using E45 cream to keep it moisturized .

I have a feeling that the new medication will have to be increased before I see any great affect on the swollen legs.

As you see my GP hasn’t got it right yet so I hope your GP can find the medication that works for you

• Posted

Was ANYBODY feeling bad BEFORE they were given these meds?

Did ANYONE go to the Dr. complaining of a pain that was releived by any of these MEDS?

They prescribe these after the FIRST THING THEY DO is to take your blood pressure.

It is NEVER in response to a specific problem the alleged high blood pressure is causing.

I think this whole high blood pressure/big pharama meds thing is a big scam.

And the Dr. shouting out "you'll blow a vessel!"

is what it is, just the Dr. using more scare tatics on you.

There is HARD EVIDENCE that some HBP meds DO "blow a vessel!"

• Posted

I felt as fit as a fiddle before a chance visit to my GP showed up I had high blood pressure.

I have felt terrible ever since being prescribe blood pressure medication and my quality of live is slowly being eroded. But the big question is do we carry on or risk going out in blaze of glory?

• Posted

I do wonder about it, Hitch.  My aunt and grandmother both had high BP, but lived into their eighties.  
    • Posted

Hi Hitch,I found out i had high blood pressure that seemed to coincede with the menopause i was prescibed lisinopril at 5mg which was gradually increased to 20mg all this time i had a cough but my doctor did not mention that this was a side effect! interestingly it did not bring my blood pressure down in all this time .I have recently been taken off and put on amlodipine 5mg which had to be upped to 10mg as it was not bringing bp down .within a few days my legs were on fire my ankles swollen and feeling like crap.back to the doc who said lt needs tinkering with and has put me on indapamide 2.5 to counteract the side effects i can honestly say that since starting meds my physical and mental health have gone downhill .Maybe there is such a thing as high bp that is normal for you.L feel like taking my chances and ditching the meds
  • Posted

Yes, go back to your GP and try something different.  I found Valsartan to be really good and with no side effects.  Each person is different though.
  • Posted

I am surprised that a diuretic was not surprised alongside amlodipine to prevent water accumulation in ankles. My wife has been taking Amloc 5 (or Pendine 5) while Spiractin (Spironolactone, a potassium-sparing diuretic) was added once her ankles started swelling. This solved the problem.
  • Posted

I am surprised that a diuretic was not surprised alongside amlodipine to prevent water accumulation in ankles. My wife has been taking Amloc 5 (or Pendine 5) while Spiractin (Spironolactone, a potassium-sparing diuretic) was added once her ankles started swelling. This solved the problem.
    • Posted

Sorry for the mistake in my previous comment.  It should have been "prescribed alongside amlodipine".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.