Amlodipine hot burning tingling hands??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone else experience any weird hand or foot issues? I have had hot and tingling feet and now my hands are doing it. I am active, eat well and now this developed. I am so sick of this drug.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Time

I don't have hot feet or hands but I have tingling in my thumb and my index finger all the time it never goes away this is the worst medicine I've ever experienced

• Posted

Hi there - Yep constant tingling in hands & feet, warm to the touch and I even experienced what I called "electric shock" sensation in my hands and feet & especially at night.  When I look back at it, it boggles my mind that I accepted my GP telling me it was part of either going thru menopause, stress or getting older or being anxious.  No, it was a direct cause of this toxic drug, which after 80 days off, I still have some residual weird sensations in my hands. Believe me, it's all Amlodipine related. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for letting me know. Unless they are "common" side effects the Dr.s do not listen in my experience. I have also had increased anxiety on this med, increased GERD on this med. Those are older side effects and the Dr. response to that was trying to talk me into adding a PPI and Anxiety med to top this off. I have fought tooth and nail because this does not keep my bp down and three different Drs now have wanted me to increase if from 5 to 10 and I will not do it. I have so much anxiety over taking my bp now that I cannot even get an accurate "resting" bp reading. It has been horrible with the Doctors. I finally let them bully me into trying effexor since the anxiety had increased so much and for three days I did not sleep and my pupils dilated. I stopped that drug and switched Doctors. I have had it. Now i need to find a way to get off this. 

• Posted

Hi there - Yes, all the symptoms you have described are ALL caused by this nasty drug & I urge you to  try & find natural solutions to your symptoms.  Instead of taking the prescription RX the Dr gave me for my GERD, I ate Papaya Enzymes with all food intake, followed by ginger chews.  I ate a bunch of pineapple, papaya, buttermilk, sauerkraut and even sourdough bread plus I drink a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water every morning to help balance out the system.  From my readings & from the suggestions on this site, these natural aids absolutely helped resolve my GERD.  As for the anxiety, it is a constant battle for me , I carry "Rescue Remedy" with me always & lavender oil & when I feel a panic attack coming on I reach for those things & start meditative controlled breathing.  There are many supplements/vitamins that help naturally calm you, you should do a little research there, but I find a good stress vitamin with all the B's is helpful.  Yes, we need to be advocates for ourselves regarding our bodies, frankly I would rather have elevated B/P than  continue feeling the way I did on that drug... no quality of life - 

• Posted

The burning had gotten a little better but is back in full force now. I wish I knew for sure if it was from this drug!
    • Posted

Hi there  time2reclaim - are you male or female? I ask you this because it has been suggested to me that this could be caused by a imbalance in hormones. My tingling burning sensation has now traveled up my calves (front of them) & is also on the tops of my feet.  I also have it on my hands.  I have been off amlodipine for 9 months ( had it while on amlodipine) but not to this degree.  I am still on irbesartan for b/p.   I am post menopause, so that could be a factor for me.  Just thought I would throw that out there - 

• Posted

I don't think this is hormonal/ Yes I am female and 47. It is like the sensation when your hands start to warm after they have been very cold, like after you would come indoors. It gets worse after I shower and often my palms get very red. It is often accompanied by itching and burning overall which I am coming to find is likely histamine intolerance. I just saw the Dr. AGAIN and she knows nothing... Had her do a pulse ox and I was at 100% so that was a relief to me. 

• Posted

Hi Time2Reclaim - yes, I know the feeling - I have gotten what I like to describe as “electric shocks” in the feet & hands & then the other times just a burning sensation in my veins just on top of feet & front of calves, which seems constant now - I know if I go to my dr & tell her, she will just tell me again it’s not a side effect of this drug or hormonal, but oddly enough started while on amlodipine.  I will say that amlodipine side effects & menopause symptoms mimic each other - 

• Posted

My doctor says the same thing Debra. I don't think it's a side effect of the medicine of amlodipine. Well I know it's a side effect of amlodipine

• Posted

Hi Chris - I just don’t know what to think anymore - I am off of Amlodipine, but still on Irbesartan.  When I stopped Amlodipine 9 months ago, I was hopeful that I would feel like my old self again. I definitely have better days than I did while on Amlodipine, but I am not my old self by any means.  I have horrible aches & pains, anxiety on any given day,fog brain,  flushing and the constant skin burning sensation. All I know is that I never suffered with any of these ailments before I started on blood pressure medication...I certainly hope these RX’s haven’t done long-term damage.

• Posted

Dear Debra, I agree with you 100%. My body has not been the same since I've been on different BP medications. I take Carvedilol which causes similar side effects to amlodipine. I remember 4 months I had swelling and pain in my Achilles heel my ankle in the back it was so painful and so swollen I could not Flex my foot. I was also uneasy on my legs I didn't feel strong. Or I would get muscle spasms in my back and the darn doctor never listens. So I decided to reduce the dose myself. Do 5 milligrams instead of 10. And I could see a difference I didn't have any more gout. I didn't have any more pains and aches. Because my BP went up the doctor increased it to 7 MGs amlodipine which so far has been okay I hate this medicine is horrible it's like poison. Will you take care and I'll keep you in my prayers

• Posted

Morning Chris. After reading your message about Aplodipine. The same happened to me. When I had advised my Dr about this the answer had been just carry on with them. It makes you feel do they care? I have come off them and now my legs are getting back to normal.
    • Posted

Hi Chris - Thank you for those kind words - Interesting what you said about your tendons - after taking Amlodipine for about 1 1/2 years, I developed Achilles Tendonapathy (huge bulging bulbs on my heels) aside from the constant pain, I can no longer wear shoes with any kind of a backing.  When I asked my dr what could have caused this, since no one in my family has this, she had no clue.  Finally after much research, I discovered an article that said Calcium channel blockers can be the cause of this deformity/ailment. This is truly a destructive drug...for all the good it’s supposed to provide, it leaves you with a laundry list of other issues. I curse the day I went on it! 
  • Posted

Not my hands. But after taking Ampodipline 5mg once a day, my knees had been sore as well as my ankles swelling. Some can take this tablet others cant.
  • Posted

I have feet, legs, arms tingling since going back on this drug. Also resting 122 bpm. I used to be ok on this drug a couple yrs. ago, but since going back it, its been crazy. My dr. took me off it, said my BP is ok, just keep an eye on it at home. Said if I need a BP med. again, he'll find me something better for me. Been off it for a week now, still feeling the effects, but my pulse rate is nack in the 70's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.