Amlodipine Side Effects.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone,please, have any idea how long it takes for the supposed temporary side effects of Amlodipine to cease - or are they, as I fear, permanent ?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

joan9...It's difficult to answer your question because: 1) Everyone is different

2) you did not say how long you've been on the medication.

IF you are experiencing swollen feet/ankles, that is a very common side effect & will NOT subside on its own. It would mean your Doctor changing the medication.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice Mike.- seeing the GP again shortly !
  • Posted

Definately not permanent Not to worry
    • Posted

How can you say that, you don't even know what the effects are?
    • Posted

Hi Sandy, thank you, that has given me hope !
  • Posted

So far, after 4 days on the medicine 5 mg, I have no side effects at all.  The first day I had a slight headache, but that is no longer a problem.  The effects of this medicine on my blood pressure have been astounding.  108/78 consistently.  I walk 2 miles per day and try my best to eat healty.  I am also on Synthroid, Protonix and Metoprolol .  58 yr old Female

Everyone is different. 

• Posted

Pleased to hear you are doing well on Amlodipine. I agree with you, that it does seem very successful in reducing BP, but for me the side effects were not worth the risk ! Hope you continue with the medication, trouble free.
  • Posted

Excellent that your BP is down and consistant and you are correct everyone is different so I hope the Amlodopine continues to agree with you. BUT.....just be aware over the coming months and years of any changes you feel. I too was fine on the drug initially but the effects of the Amlodopine snuck up on me over the course of a few years (difficulty sleeping and being tired all day, severe indigestion, muscle aches, intense itching and worse of all a consistant feeling of something in my throat causing me to cough constantly) all of which I put down to aging even though I was only in my late 50's. Once the penny dropped and I thought it might be Amlodipine I stopped taking it.  Some of my symptoms disappeared within weeks and months but the cough took so long to go I thought I may be mistaken that Amlodopine was the cause of that too. However, over a year later I suddenly realised one day that my cough was gone and it hasn't returned so it seems it WAS the Amlodopine causing it and that was the last symptom to disappear after I stopped taking it.
    • Posted

Yep, I went for 12 to 18 months without many of the side effects. But I think after awhile, you body gets fed up of it and starts to reject it.
    • Posted

Hi Carol, pleased to hear you have finally lost all the side effects of Amlodipne . I was only on it a few weeks, came off over two months ago, and still have dreadful tinnitus,twitching and blood rushes. The only thing so far, which has improved is the swollen ankles ! I would never, ever take this medication again, and would certainly advise others not to.
    • Posted

Hi RHGB - did you come off the medication ?
    • Posted

Hi, Yes, I'm currently on felodipine, but it's only been a week so far, so the jury is still out. Still got swollen ankles, but then I don't help myself by sleeping with socks on to keep my feet warm. I know you shouldn't but I've been doing it so long, I forget to take them off at night.

One thing I've noticed is that the new medication seems to have given me a chest cough, my GP has said to give it a month and then we can try something else.

• Posted

Oops...the first part of my previous reply was to Dix1lee and the second part to joan9 wink 
  • Posted

Dear Joan, over the years I have had many side effects from various BP meds. I only took Amlodipine for two days the pain in my legs and rash appeared within a few hours of taking it. I am now taking Felodipine 5 when it was put up to 10. I couldnt walk because of my swollen ankles I have gone back to 5 ankles not so swollen now.  I have found with most pills the side effects dissapear with a few days although I was left with a cough for some years. Every one is different so hang on in there. best wishes Jacky 
    • Posted

Yes Alberta, my side effects emerged within hours of taking Amlodipine too. I am a bit concerned about the tinnitus, as that often seems to be permanent, one you develope it ! I hope you do well with your current medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.