An Aussies experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

Wed Dec '07 I started Citalopram (Cipramil) for the second time after being on this drug before in '06 but ceased a few weeks into taking them. I think the other AD's I was prescribed before this time had an affect on me before being put on Cipramil. This time though I am staying on these no matter what. The doc decided these were the better drug to be on. We did the little chart exam, noted my symptoms and came up with the result for Cipramil.

I have been a long time sufferer of depression for as far back as I can remember. Having chronic back pain and family troubles as a youngster I guess is the cause, but who knows. As a younger man I was once put onto Serapax but I ceased taking this after one day. Drugs have never been my choice.

Back to the Cipramil. Since being on this drug I have experienced slight tremors, muscle tensing at night, sweats, hot flushes, crazy dreams, antisocial behaviour, anxiety, constant sleeping and my skin smelling of sickly sweet apples. Not a good way to be in but I soldiered on as I am so tired of living in a world others (normal people) have never experienced. Depression is a rotten thing and something no one should live with.

For those who are experiencing side affects from their medication please see your doctor again and let him know. If he won't listen see another until you get it right. (I have a most amazing doctor who is, from the UK). Stay on your medication, eat right (fruit salad and nuts for starters as I know your diet suffers somewhat) and stay on your medication. As bad as the side affects may be, it does get better. Focus on the outcome, one day at a time. The day will come when you will start to feel better. I'm pretty sure I am smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rod

How long have you been taking the med and what dose are you taking. I have been on it for 6Weeks and have just been put up to 30mg dose. Am still hoping for full effect its very hard soldering on though every day.

• Posted

G'day Arial

I've back on them since Dec '07. 40mg a day.

I know it's hard, but what would you rather, being ill and wanting to feel better, or feeling well. I prefer feeling well but there is a price to pay and that is some discomfort to get where I want to be. I'd rather this for however long it takes because I will heal. Otherwise it's a lifetime of suffering through depression. Will help from the doctor I am seeing and my will to fight my illness, I think this time I am doing ok. And it being early morning Tues 29 Jan '08, I am feeling remarkably good and after our long weekend here, getting back to work seems like a good idea. I must point out though, weekends I mostly sleep but I am eating well and life isn't much of a struggle.

One thing we must remember. AD's do not make life any better. Only we can change that. What the AD's do, is to help us to cope better, to see things differently and not to dwell and to give us strength of the mind to make choices in life as to where we want to be.

• Posted

Rod

thanks for your reply. guess you have probably gone to work now as I think about going to bed. I look forward to being able to make my life better, but at the moment the depression just takes over and I don't have any momentum at all. I am having to make myself do things at the moment just to get through the day but there is no pleaure there at all as I am constantly dwelling on negatives the whole time. The last three days though I have marked an improvement in the evenings, just hope it will gradually expand to the rest of the day. I always used to look forward to my nights sleep, but now I dread waking up.

Where abouts in Aus are you? I have been once nearly 24 years ago. Visited Sydney. Only had 10 days though. Tried to get upto Great Barrier Reef in that time by road - impossible! We always said that we would go back sometime.

hope you have a good day

• Posted

You will, in time, feel better. It's a slow journey and one I've been on many times. Keep on your medication. Sleep if you must. Eat foods that are simple to prepare and are good for you. Soups, stews. Foods that only need a fork or spoon to eat with are always good. Go for a walk.

If when the time comes you start to feel better, do not cease your medication, stay on it otherwise there is a good chance you may crash again. Believe me, I have.

I'm in the sunshine state, Queensland. Not near the Barrier Reef, but not far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.