Anal itch and irritation..atrophy related?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have the vulval irritation..for months now,but i also get frequent anal itch and irritation after bowel movements..wondering if its hormonal,or also related to the vulva irritation..my obgyn doesnt think much of it..well i do..always says i can put a low dose hydro cream there also..any similar complaints?

1 like, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

I just found a link Lee, that I thought was interesting for something else too: it mentioned that the levels of uric acid can cause the vaginal area to become oversensitive.  I'm not sure if it's meaning it's too acidic or not acidic enough though!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think it's just more of the same problem.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you checked for LS Lichen Sclerosus
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The gynaecologist I saw in a private clinic in UK was suppose to be a very good one. The thrush was never thrush, he couldn't see anything and said it (the itch) was in my head. Only when I begged for a vulva dermatologist referral was the biopsy and correct diagnosis given. Gynaecologists are concerned with the mechanics and not the look of the external skin. Have a look at the LS forum in here and you will discover a lot more.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was given Canesteb HC  BLUE.  Problem cleared in 3 days.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lee I have the same problem as you, right around the anal area. It started for me with the menopause, chafing and rubbing. I was rederred to a dermatologist as I had an exam by a local doc who said it was LS. I looked up the symptoms of this and disagreed with her and was referred to a dermatologist who said it was related to the menopause and gave me Hydromol. She said it was not LS it was frictional dermatitis. I use the hydromol straight after a bowel movement and if at home quick rinse in the shower then apply it direct. I also avoid trousers which rub and pants. This seems to have helped with both orifices.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree that not all gynecologists know about lichen sclerosus or if they do, they don't want to deal with the anal region. 

I have LS presenting in classic keyhole shape around the vagina and anus. I have seen 2 gynecologists and neither one looked beyond the perinium in their examination nor did they include the anus as part of the discussion regarding treatment. I am waiting to have my first appointment with a dermatologist soon as I'd like to make sure that area is looked at as well. I also have lichen planus in other areas of my body and so I want a dermatologist to see all the skin conditions that I have because at present they are farmed out to different professionals who don't speak to each other. 

As for itching after bowel movements, I find that I have to keep the area scrupulously clean to avoid the itchiness. Proactively, lots of water, exercise and fibre keep things regular without straining which can lead to anal fissures.  Those can be painful as each movement will reopen the wound. The steroid cream is necessary to keep LS under control. 

I hope you find relief and an accurate diagnosis soon. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Went to obgyn today she said yes very possible as tissues in that area are affected
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up