And now another thought - supplements

Posted , 6 users are following.

As we women (and some men) get older our bones can get softer, and in the long term this could be a threat to our new knees.  I was reading earlier that it can be as well to take supplements to help in this respect.  Does anyone take supplements?  I already do, because of a diagnosis of osteopenia some years back, but wondered if any doctors had recommended it.  The ones I saw online that were recommended were a small amount of calcium and K2, which I already take, as well as Vit D and magnesium.  What's the general thoughts?

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris I have requested a scan since my op (due on 8 th June) to check for osteoporosis as surgeon commented that my bones were soft.

I want a firm diagnosis before I start popping more pills. However my physio suggested vit D spray but I am going to wait for results

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah thanks for telling us that Maura.  Sorry to hear about it though.  I did ask my surgeon what the bones were like and he said absolutely fine, but I'll still take the supplements.  I do think though that anyone taking ANY supplements should really speak to their GP (if they can!) about it first and check that they aren't contra indicated with any other meds you take etc..  A lot of adults are low in Vit D so it might be a thought to get a test to see where you are on it.  But I hope it's good when you get the results. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm supposed to take calcium because of osteopenia, but have to admit they are horrible and I don't often remember .  they are the chewable sort. . super revoltingly sweet .. . yuk. No others available over here, so i may order seom from holland and Barrett.  You've got me thinking!  I'll do anything to make this knee last as long as possible.  I'm hopeing to live a few more years yet, and I want a good working knee!!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Do check this out with a GP or pharmacist or SOMEONE before doing what I do, but I researched the calcium thing a lot at the time and it seems that it's better if you can take a small amount of Vit K - that sends the calcium (calcium citrate) to the bones rather than the arteries.  Magnesium and Vit D are also recommended.  The calcium I take is a long hard tablet - looks a bit like paracetamol but slightly different.  It needs to be K2 to work with the calcium.

But I'd say to anyone that they should check anything out before taking it - any sort of supplement or even herbal stuff or spices or anything in an amount that's not included in normal food.  I was thinking about turmeric (supposed to be good for inflammation) the other day and then looked up side effects, so always check everything out!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm another with osteopenia! Diagnosed in 2009, I was checked as my sister was found to have osteoporosis after having a fall & breaking her arm! My Nan was always breaking bones so there is the familial thing!!

I take AdCalD3, I used to take supplements but only take omega 3 fish oils now. Alongside all the other medications I still have to take!!

XX

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I suspect there are a lot of us Marilyn, because it affects women as they get older, especially (and some men, but more often women because of the estrogen thing).  It even makes me wonder if they should be scanning women before TKR's but then I guess if you need a TKR badly enough, you'd still want it, and broken bone tends to be tougher, unlike scar tissue that tends to be weaker.  But maybe there should be advice for those with osteopenia after TKR's, such as supplements.  Although my GP's just sling bisphosphenates at everyone, and most of us know about THOSE!  I take krill oil as well as the calcium citrate, K2, and magnesium (incidentally - I used to have dry eye stuff on prescription, but the krill oil left me not needing it - I didn't expect that to happen!).  I researched it really well after rejecting the bisphosphenates and was very pleased when I asked the surgeon about the condition of bones and he said good!  That's good enough for me.  My GP's never even mention a repeat scan, so maybe next year I'll ask for one.  Do yours?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Chris . . I'll look into this and talk to the doctor when I next see him/her . . .(keeps changing every week, as our GP has cancer unfortunately. I believe vitamin K has to be taken in very small doses?  Wasn't it vitamin K that killed those arctic explorers, who were surviving by eting the dogs' livers?  Weird bits of information keep popping into my brain . . never know these days what is fact or fiction in my brain I'm afraid!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I only take a SMALL amount - Vit K2 MK-4 100mcg because it's supposed to direct the calcium to the bones, from what I understand.  It causes clotting, too, so you wouldn't want to overdose on it!  There is Vit K in a lot of foods, but it's not always accessible, such as in spinach.  I don't actually take nearly as much as is recommended in studies  though but some professional advised the amount I take a few years back.  But as I always say to anyone with supplements and added 'anything' in concentration, check it out first!  You need to check that things don't interact with stuff you're taking, or conditions you've got.  But google the studies about it regarding osteoporosis:-)))

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah:-))))  That wouldn't have helped osteoporosis either LOL!  Some seem to think there is a correlation between too much Vit A and osteoporosis:-)  Not something I've looked into though.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I take 2000 IU of Vit D3 6 days a week plus 50,000 IU Vit D3 one day a week (I do not take the 2000 IU Vit D3 on that day). I also take Caltrate with Vit D3 twice a day. I have a friend that did this and she went from Osteopenia to a regular bone scan over time!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah - that is BRILLIANT news Cementless!  It's so good that you were clued up about this too!  But what a brilliant result with your friend!  Any idea how long it took to achieve that?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It took her 12 years to get to regular bone density. She takes 50,000 IU Vit D3 one day of the week and 4,000 IU Vit D3 the rest of the week. She started having her Vit D levels checked 12 years ago and it was very low (17.5)! Her Vit D level is now 77!!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's such interesting info, thank you!!!!  It's so encouraging to hear people have achieved such an improvement in their bone density and in a much safer way than bisphosphenates, that while they increase bone density, they don't necessarily make bone stronger!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up