And now I'm depressed!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Oh blimey, just when I thought it cudnt get any worse, this has now hit me like a ton of bricks. Am nearly 21 weeks po new knee cap and trochlea. Knee is very slowly improving (I think!) but still occupies my mind until I fall asleep. But, my mind is all over the place. Doc prescribed me sertraline anti-depressants but after I'd talked to him I felt a little better so have not started them yet. I also have fibromyalgia so for 3 weeks had been taking 10mg at night, but I was sure they were making me more weepy, so rightly or wrongly I stopped them and am currently taking nothing......apart from paracetamol. But, I'm also menopausal, night and day sweats are awful, and in the night I'm constantly taking covers off or pulling them back on again. I seem to be in a vicious circle......am I depressed or just menopausal, I don't want to start taking tablets for depression when it cud be menopause, or vice versa, and naturally my fibromyalgia doesn't help!

Every morning from about 5am untill noon I'm very weepy and then I seem to get myself together, but during that time anything and everything sets me off.

Is anyone else experiencing anything remotely similar? I'm so scared of going on anti-depressants and then not being able to come off them. I'd so just like the old me back!

Any advice/suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, went to bed last night and managed to sleep until 7am this morning, only waking once for bathroom trip. As far as I can recall I only had one hot sweat! And I didn't wake up "weepy". However I did speak to my doctor this morning about what's been happening to me. She advised me that she can't prescribe HRT because I'm a migraine suffer who suffers with tingly fingers, tongue and zigzag vision when my migraines start and thus am at higher risk of strokes. I must admit I was disappointed. We talked about sertraline, she advised me it wasn't addictive but that I'd probably need to be on it for at least six months. I also told her I take menopace plus and was thinking about taking black cohosh as well, if only to try and alleviate the sweats. She suggested I try it but if all else fails then to try the sertraline. So, I've just taken the first black cohosh tablet along with my menopace plus tablet. I suspect it will be a while before I perhaps notice any difference, if any , but here goes. I'd like to thank everyone for their support and advice......as I've said this has hit me like a ton of bricks and I was totally unprepared for any of it, either the recovery from the knee surgery or how it's affected my whole life!
    • Posted

first day when i went on hrt i did so because i could not get one hour solid sleep i was 51 at the time  i started to get migraines from lack of sleep which always started with an aura (zig zag vision )  my doctor put me on femston conti (i think its a low dose combined ) it did the trick within a week i felt better just goes to show again doctors differ hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Hi Pam, when I left my message earlier I hadn't read this, so apologies. Have you tried any herbal/alternative meds like Evening Primrose oil capsules? They may help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.