And the struggle continues...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I worry that there is something wrong with me, something serious; I worry that I am going to suffer as a cause of said something, and I worry that said something will eventually take my life. At the moment, the things I am worried most about are brain tumors, MS, and Motor Neurons Disease, also known as ASL. I have been a member on here for a while now, so people have probably seen my posts and have seen how anxious I get. 

There are times where my arms feel weak and tingly; I have constant pain in my right shoulder. I feel I am getting forgetful; I don't feel as sharp as I used to be. I'm a writer, so there are times where I sit to write and I get so frustrated because I literally cannot get my thoughts down. It's as if I know what I want to say, but the words just won't come to me. There are times where I have caught myself drooling ever so slightly out of the corner of my mouth, or accidentally spitting when I am talking; I am just generally doing silly things. I'm always yawning, though I don't necessarily feel tired. My muscles twitch regularly - my eyelids, my temple, my legs and thighs, my upper-arms.

I just don't know what is wrong with me, but the fear is very real. I go to sleep each night knowing that it's all going to start again the next day. I'm just a mess - is this all down to anxiety, and if so then how can one condition be so cruel?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had muscle twitches for years. They started in 2005, so ive had them for 11 years. At the time it started I was convinced I had ALS. But thankfully it isn't, if it was I'd be paralyzed by now. Have u heard of Fibromyalgia? Benign fasciculation syndrome ? Read into it.
    • Posted

No actually muscle twitches also happen. In 2005 when I noticed my twitches weren't progressing to weakness or paralysis, I just came to the conclusion that I have fibro bcuz I also have widespread aches and fatigue. You could also have BFS. Benign fasciculation syndrome. I was also really worried about a brain tumor (I had a headache for 4 months straight) , but if u don't have seizures, extreme headaches, vomiting, visual disturbance, or involuntary jerking of legs and arms, then no u don't have a tumor. I am almost positive u have either fibro or benign fasciculation syndrome because I started with the same symptoms as u. Especially the muscle twitches. One time I did notice eyelid weakness for several days, and I was convinced it was ALS causing my eyelids to start giving up. But fast forward 10 years and I'm still here! Still with muscle aches and twitching. But still alive and well. Exercising and working.
    • Posted

I have heard of BFS, and that is genuinely what I hope I have. I'm just so frightened all the time, Claudia, truly frightened.
    • Posted

I completely understand u David. I am exactly like u. How old r u? The possibility of u having something like that is low at ur age. I'm currently 30 yrs old and have 3 kids. Health anxiety does affect our everyday lives. It has affected me more than a dozen times in my life to the point where I get very depressed. Fibromyalgia is also connected to anxiety and depression. I just want to let u know ur not alone in ur mental problem. Lots of ppl like u and me have extreme hypochondria. But let Me assure u you will live a long life, just try not to let ur worries control your life. Put your mind into a sport, into a different activity and slowly u will begin to feel well again and forget about it. I know easier said than done but sometimes it works wink
    • Posted

I just turned 28. It's the thought, as well, like... does the health anxiety, the anxiety in general, never go away? Is it with me for the rest of my days?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.