anesthetic at dentist and citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'll keep brief. Had dentist which for me was a huge thing anyway. Was 40 min in chair shaking like a leaf the dentist kept telling me to stop but obviously can't help it. I got home 20 min after and slept for 4 hrs solid and still feel weird. Not sure if it's the injection / reaction or the experience. I never told him I was on them as didn't ask I'm on 40mg which I'd taken an hr before dentist xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

omg you must tell the dentist of all meds you  are on because they can interfere with injections etc, the receptionist should ask you at each visit if you are on meds, next time you go please please tell the receptionist to update your records take a list of any meds you are on, im not surprised you slept all that time. take care now best wishes jayne xx 
  • Posted

Hi sarah I was at dentist this morning and I got a form to fill in asking if I was on meds ...wat they were for and history of diabetes. ..u must tell them I'm sure it says on the leaflet in the citalopram box...take care
  • Posted

No no forms at all still feel mega drained and a little shakey . sad
    • Posted

Dentist receptionist always gives me my form to update as meds can interfere with treatment and then he can use alternative meds if reqd. Irrespectively, it's very remiss not to have this procedure in place. Take care. Hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi sarah, could be a combination of things, its very easy to start looking at every little thing we do when it may be unrelated, if in doubt tell the dentist you're on meds  may not be relevant however it could trigger a better reaction empathy etc smile  
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Cannot disagree with the comment about fessing up to all meds when you should, but it does not matter in our case. You see I have had exactly the same!

I had toothache two weeks ago I told the dentist and nurse about being on 40mg of Cita and that I was taking it for work related stress - no problem! The dentist  did not spot (to be fair nothing was really showing at the time) that I also had swelling around the back (No 8 Wisdom). Anyway, he took out two nerves and patched two teeth with cement, job done. Next day the gum around No 8 was huge and I could not move that side of my tongue so, I went back and sat in the surgery until he saw me which was only half an hour. He immediately referred me to the local General Hospital to see a Head and Neck Consultant. I saw the consultant within 4 days, I also told her about Cita - no problem! She sent me for a jaw scan and side on X-ray, after which I went to a dental surgeon (told him about Cita - no problem!) and had the extraction and a biopsy. A week later, this morning I went back for the results, I saw a different Consultant, again mentioned Cita - no problem! Thankfully there was nothing sinister going on. but due to bone degredation I have to go back in 3 weeks.

If I had this problem 4 months ago when I was going through some real bad side effects, including paranoia about health issues I would have curled up for ever and not come back!

No one likes the dentist!

All the very best, keep posting, keep asking and we'll keep supporting you!

Regards,

David

Ps "Welcome to the Club!"

• Posted

Hope you are feeling OK, maybe a bit late now but I would say the way you feel and the sleeping are because of the extreme anxiety, it is completely draining.

I think that the main reason to tell the dentist about the citalopram is that it can cause bleeding to be worse.

• Posted

Thanks for replies and advice. Feel a little better now ta. I did bleed a fair amount in the injected area he kept having to put those swab things in which is probably why it's so bruised now. I guess it was the anxiety of it all xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.