Angry, worried, but mostly scared stiff......

Posted , 16 users are following.

Quick recap first, TKR #1 March 6th, TKR #2 October 29th. Making excellent progress with #2, bend now at 95, extension -5 but working hard on it. ROM good, sleeping ok.......

Then a few days ago, I noticed a small area on my incision was looking a bit red and inflamed. I kept a close eye on it, then yesterday there was a small amount of weeping and blood from it. I had physio yesterday, so asked them to have a look. 3 of them looked, and advised me to get it properly checked. I rang my GP surgery, all they had was an appointment with the Practice Nurse, which I took. She had a good look, and decided she wanted a second opinion, so fetched the duty GP out from his consultation. He spent less than a minute looking at it, proclaimed that it was an area that was slow to heal, there was no infection. Great news - although this idiot doctor told me 16 months ago there was nothing wrong with my knees......5 months later I was booked in for TKR.....

Anyway, I digress. Forward to this evening, I rubbed the skin next to the inflamed area as it was a bit sore, and green pus came out of it!

I've cleaned it with salt water, gently dried it, and covered it with a sterile dressing. I've also phoned the Surgical ward I was on for advice, and the lovely nurse told me I need to go back to GP and get them to do a swab to establish if there's anything growing......bloody GP should have done that yesterday!! Of course it's now the weekend, so no GP surgery until Monday....... her advice on that was to monitor it, and if it gets noticeably worse, or more painful, then I am to go to A&E......

So that's me tonight. Terrified that it could be serious, fuming at the Doctor, and willing the night to pass so I can see what tomorrow brings....

Thanks for reading, I know you guys will understand how scared I am just now xx

2 likes, 30 replies

Report / Delete

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

    I would not wait till Monday, I suggest A&E asap, your health is far too mportant . I'm sure they will put your mind at rest either by treating you or reassuring you. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Oh dear Terri.  Really sorry to hear that.

    You've done all of the right things though.

    Have you got a local minor injuries clinic that you could go to over the w/e, just to put your mind at rest?

    Patsy

     

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would suggest going to the emergency room off the hospital where you had the surgery. Regular blood work won't get you the answer you need. It will take an invasive proceedure with a needle to get into the joint for collection. Having gone through this twice, I am concerned by the color of the fluid. This could be from slow healing internal stitch. My Dr told me the incubation stage for most staph is close to 28 days. As usual, eliminating doubt is the best medicine. Good luck and keep us appraised of your progress.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks OFG, I knew you'd be there with your advice. For example, I didn't know that it would need a needle aspiration, although now you've said it, it makes sense. Also didn't know about the timeline for staph, I'm at 23 days.....

      Thanks again, I'll make sure to keep everyone up to date.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    That would be scary, and infuriating.

    I take it you are in the UK? I'm not familiar with the term A&E.

    In the USA I would go to either a walk in clinic or hospital emergency room. It certainly sounds like an infection.

    Good luck! Glad you are taking care of it in the morning. Hope it gets better soon!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Terri

    Yes I can understand why you are worried. If I were you I would contact the hospital, get the surgeons secretary's phone number and contact her re an urgent appointment. I wouldn't take no for an answer. Keep up the cleaning of the wound and covering it as you have to prevent any infection. It could just be an internal dissolvable stitch that has not dissolved fully and worked its way out.

    Good luck,

    Blee83

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi, thanks for replying.

      I've got a pretty good relationship with my Surgeon's secretary, unfortunately she doesn't work Friday's or Mondays - just my luck! If I'm no further on by Tuesday, then I'll be giving her a call.

      I'm pretty sure there may be a little stitch in there - all mine were dissolvable, none of the ones which have to be removed. Will have to wait and see what happens.....

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Terri!

    So sorry that this happened to you. I have to agree with the others that a trip to your medical facility is essential, and as soon as possible. Infection is serious business especially since knee replacements were done. You are very observant, and that is a good thing!

    Please let us know how things go for you!

    Sending prayers of calm, strength, and health your way tonight!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would get to whatever is the equalivant of our Emergency room here in the states. Sounds like a nasty infection has settled in and should be taken care of pronto. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Fingers crossed nothing too serious, I'll be waiting to hear how your visit to hospital this morning went. good luck. Jackie 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up