Angry, worried, but mostly scared stiff......

Posted , 16 users are following.

Quick recap first, TKR #1 March 6th, TKR #2 October 29th. Making excellent progress with #2, bend now at 95, extension -5 but working hard on it. ROM good, sleeping ok.......

Then a few days ago, I noticed a small area on my incision was looking a bit red and inflamed. I kept a close eye on it, then yesterday there was a small amount of weeping and blood from it. I had physio yesterday, so asked them to have a look. 3 of them looked, and advised me to get it properly checked. I rang my GP surgery, all they had was an appointment with the Practice Nurse, which I took. She had a good look, and decided she wanted a second opinion, so fetched the duty GP out from his consultation. He spent less than a minute looking at it, proclaimed that it was an area that was slow to heal, there was no infection. Great news - although this idiot doctor told me 16 months ago there was nothing wrong with my knees......5 months later I was booked in for TKR.....

Anyway, I digress. Forward to this evening, I rubbed the skin next to the inflamed area as it was a bit sore, and green pus came out of it!

I've cleaned it with salt water, gently dried it, and covered it with a sterile dressing. I've also phoned the Surgical ward I was on for advice, and the lovely nurse told me I need to go back to GP and get them to do a swab to establish if there's anything growing......bloody GP should have done that yesterday!! Of course it's now the weekend, so no GP surgery until Monday....... her advice on that was to monitor it, and if it gets noticeably worse, or more painful, then I am to go to A&E......

So that's me tonight. Terrified that it could be serious, fuming at the Doctor, and willing the night to pass so I can see what tomorrow brings....

Thanks for reading, I know you guys will understand how scared I am just now xx

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Terri

I am so very sorry to hear this but you must go to A&E not the emergency walk in clinic which we were not overly impressed with.   Daughter and I took my husband recently and although they said they thought he was probably OK said he needed routine tests which they cannot do so go to A&E.  You definitely need a test so go straight there.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Terri just caught up with this. What a worry for you ! Let us know how you get on at A&E this morning. Fingers crossed all is well xxx

• Posted

Hi Terri

Just read your posting.  Not surprised that you are worried, I would be to.  I was operated on 3 days before you and this morning one area where one of the staples was is ever so slightly spotting blood I would say.  I am keeping a close eye on it.  I put Vaseline on the scar which the nurse told me to do.

please let us know how you get on.

liz

• Posted

I just had my eight week check up and I have an area at the bottom of my incision that has been red and hasn't healed as quickly as the rest of the incision.  I would see yellowish stuff around it and the people on here said that it sounded like a stitch working it's way to the surface.  Sure enough, that is what the doctor said as well.  He told me I could put neosporin on it with a bandaid to keep my clothes from rubbing it and not to pick at it.  Yours could be the same but sounds like yours could be infected.  Hopefully they can just give you some medicine or ointment to get rid of it!
  • Posted

oh terri so sorry for you ,of course your worried so would i if it were me , !! reading your story i would go to A&E to put my mind at ease  if its the hospital where you had your op it would be better as they would have your records .either way go there and get it seen and badger them for blood tests for infection just to be sure and to give you ease of mind . i know i often complain about our system here in ireland but one part of our system is being able to see our gp when we need them and the gp you want to see .i wish you the very best terri dont waste anymore time worrying go and check it out xx
  • Posted

UPDATE!!!

Just back from A&E (Emergency Room) and all is well!

It just appears to be a little bit of a dissolvable stitch that's causing some surface irritation, and that's why it was a bit gunky. It was thoroughly examined and there's no evidence of systemic infection, it's not hot, I'm not running a fever, and the inflammation is receding. It's been dressed, and I've got some further dressings so that I can keep checking on it but re-dress it afterwards.

I was told that I did absolutely the right thing in getting it checked out, and I'm to keep an eye on it, but the Dr said she was confident that there was nothing untoward going on.

So PHEW!! What a relief!

I can't thank you all enough, you really helped by being so supportive - I don't think that anyone who hasn't been through this surgery understands how terrifying the prospect of infection is.

And finally, a big shout out and thumbs up to the NHS. From Reception, through to Triage, then through to the Doctor, took half an hour! I know some people are unlucky and have terrible experiences of substandard care, but I can't praise them enough.

Thanks again everyone, I'm off to do some exercises, then I feel a nap coming on 😴

• Posted

wow that was record time it would take that time to get reception to take down my name if you were living here you would not get out sooner than 8hrs min so wow again glad your alright and so glad you went enjoy the weekend worry free
    • Posted

Excellent news! And very quick! Last time I was at A&E it took 4hrs from reception thru triage so well done!
    • Posted

Terri,

That is excellent news! I am so happy that it wasn't an infection!

Wonderful that you were able to be seen so quickly.

Thanks for letting us know the great news.

Happy exercising!

• Posted

Great to hear that everything is OK, Terri, and that you had such good service.

Take a deep breath now...onwards and upwards!

Patsy

• Posted

Fabulous news Terri, I am thrilled for.  You are so right, that unless you have been through this you do not realise the worry of getting an infection, it has always been the one thing to scare me senseless.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Liz

• Posted

So glad all went well!

Here is a tip from my nurse at the hospital: Take your temperature throughout the day for awhile. That will keep you feeling confident that all is well. If your temperature goes up, you will know RIGHT AWAY and can act accordingly.

Taking my temperature helped me feel at ease that all was STAYING well.

Get some rest, relax, and enjoy the welcome sense of relief!

• Posted

So pleased to hear that!!! Now you can relax and enjoy your weekend.
    • Posted

Glad to hear everything is A-OK!!!!  This was a major operation and it's quite normal to be scared. There are a lot of things that can go wrong but 99% of the time they don't. It's always best to be on the safe side and make sure, rather than be sorry. Take care from the USA.
  • Posted

Glad to hear all is well. Don't know about anyone else but every time I start to feel unwell since my knee op I'm always frightened to death that infection has somehow got into my knee and it will all go wrong. Stupid I know, but you just can't help it can you.........well I can't, but maybe that's just me lol! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.