Aniexty And IBS? How To Handle It?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with IBS. (no tests other than a stool sample). But i also suffer from severe aniexty disorder and have done for years. The doctors think the stress i suffer from has induced this horrible condition.

My aniextys roll around my health mainly. So im finding this new change at increasingly diffiicult to manage and whats worse, im not sure if my symptoms are normal for IBS or not.

It tends to flare up when i am more nervous/ on my own and not doing anything. If im busy and out i seem fine (touch wood). I suffer from loose stool, at times i have a number of BM a day. When this dies down i will go days with no BM at all. (not constipation) Then it will flare again. This period of time with nothing sends me into a paranoid state as i dont like leaving the house when i have a flare up. So far the only food i can pinpoint a reaction from is mints and nerves. Any other food and when im positive i seem ok.

I beg for a period where i can go back to normal. Just for a time as doing research it says symptoms will die down. But when? This has been going on a few weeks now. The doctors are useless. They gave me Mebeverine which i have just started today to see if it helps. (fingers crossed) But other than that told me to just leave it till it settles. Easier said than done though.

Im only 20 years old and i feel like the rest of my life is now on hold. Its very depressing. I have been upped on my aniexty medication which im hoping will take the edge off. But how do you cope with BOTH conditions? Can someone please shed some light on this?! sad

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Emily I feel exactly the same I've had a constant flare up for nearly 2 months and still struggling to find something that will totally settle the pain and discomfort! You need to stay positive and try new things it's a little like trial and error to see what agrees with your body. Just eat little and open but very light. I sleep with a water bottle which takes the edge off and drink plenty of water. I'm in the same boat as you my anxiety makes it a lot worse but you need to try and be as positive as you can and keep yourself busy!

• Posted

Phew!!, Glad im not the only one who is in the same position. It was worrying me a bit as it says on the NHS website 2 to 4 days!!!. I don't eat much anyway and never eat big meals. Its diffiicult as i cant seem to pinpoint any triggers (which is both a good and a bad thing) other than mints and gum i can eat other foods with no serious reaction (so far). The pain i get is minor THANKFULLY! and only lasts for a few minuites before going again. Tending to flare up with aniexty and sometimes in the evenings. Hoping the Mebeverine will help my symptoms. Read some right horror stories about that drug!

I lead a very active lifestyle as i work with horses. However it never eases the parinoia. The cylce just wont stop.. rolleyes

• Posted

They did offer me Mebeverine but have give me Audmonal capsules instead I don't know if you have much knowledge about them. I've been taking them for 3 days the pains aren't as intense but still feel very discomforted. I currently find myself not wanted to move with the pain sad

• Posted

From what i have read Mebeverine relaxes the gut and is supposed to stop Loose BM. However this is only due to the side affect of Constipation. If you suffer with IBS C at all it is not reccomened to take Mebeverine as the constipation will get worse and thus will the pain. It depends what type you suffer from. Where abouts is the pain? Different medications are actually formed to treat different types of pain. So if you get a half decent doctor who knows what they are doing they will put you on a drug that is best designed for that type of discomfort or IBS. The drugs are all trial and error though and some people have said the more natural approaches are better.  If the pain isnt easing i would go back and get another type of medication. Did you try Mebeverine?
    • Posted

I never tried it And he then decided to give me something else. My pain is in my left lower tummy and high up by my ribs on my right side. I just eat a salad with all the stuff that I'm aloud to eat and it just makes me feel sick

• Posted

Go Back to the doctors and tell them the drugs are not working. I cannot say how well the Mebervine works from a personal view just yet as not long been on them. But after my 2nd dose today i have yet to get any issues. If my symptoms improve i will be sure to reccommend as many people say its one of the best ones out there. So maybe sugest it to your doctor?
    • Posted

Yes I'm going to take these tablets for a few more days and see how I get on. Hopefully they work but worst case scenario I will suggest the tablets you are taking.

• Posted

I will do! Thank you hope we both see some progress in the next week or so 😊
  • Posted

I know exactly what you mean - I found myself in a downward spiral. The more anxious I became about my health, the worse my IBS became. My GP recommended the Low FODMAP diet. I've been following it for about 9 months and whilst my IBS isn't cured it is a million times better. As soon as I realised I could manage and control the IBS my anxiety disappeared Low FODMAP doesn't work for everyone but its definitely worth a try. 

Jan

Jan

• Posted

It is stated on most websites that although aniexty and stress co exsists with IBS it isnt known to actually cause it. But in this case i have to disagree. Some people say it is pure stress and aniexty with no food triggers. So far i dont think food is triggering it as it always seems to flare when im anxious/ alone /or not doing anything. But that doesn't mean i wont worry about it when im out and about. Its such a viscious cycle. Does the FODMAP diet help IBS D or is it just in general IBS cases? A few people have mentioned it.

• Posted

I guess since no-one knows precisely what causes IBS the most we can do is to try to identify those things that exacerbate our condition and try to minimise or elimate those factors. The Low FODMAP diet can be tailored to deal with IBS C, or D, or both. Until starting the diet I honestly thought I didn't have any food triggers. I discovered, through the diet, that mushrooms, onions and garlic will invariably cause a bad reaction, and that I can only tolerate gluten in moderation. I also learned to check the ingredients in products very carefully. For example some brands of tomato ketchup contain onions, others don't. I rarely ate onions  so I would never have identified them as a trigger, but of course I was having them without realising it. There is no doubt in my mind that anxiety can be a major trigger. I had reached the stage of being afraid to go out in case I couldn't get to a loo quickly enough, so of course when I did go out My anxiety levels were sky high, and sure enough I could feel churning and spasms in my stomach. The fact that the diet dramatically reduced the severity and frequency of the diahorrea meant that I was considerably less anxious when I was going out. Now, I don't even give a second thought to having to be in easy reach of a loo when I am out. 

Jan

• Posted

Your symptoms are very normal for IBS.  Anxiety triggers my stomach pain but food does not.  My symptoms were a lot worse before diagnosis because of health anxiety.  After diagnosis, I find I have improved.  However, I am slways anxious about something and this won't change so I have learned to accept it and avoid things that make me panic.

• Posted

I suppose looking back my symptoms have improved slightly since my diagnosis but they havent eased since i have been diagnosed. And because of my health aniexty i find my IBS flares up when i worry about it flaring up or think its going to flare up!.. Praying the Mebeverine helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.