Ankle Arthrodesis and Bunion Plate

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in 6 weeks post op for ankle arthrodesis surgery. There are 8 screws for the ankle arthrodesis, plus a plate for Bunion surgery. These surgeries were both done in the same surgery 6 weeks ago. I was non-weight bearing for the first 6 weeks. I am now out of the cast and in a walking boot in my seventh week with crutches and just started to use some weight on the ankle. Is 6 weeks too early to be starting to weight bear? I do not wear walking boot in bed or sometimes when relaxing. I wear the boot whenever I move about, at this point, with my crutches, for weight bearing practice.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, after 6 weeks pwb is fine, do this for about 2 weeks then slowly start fwb. Once my cast came off after 6 weeks, I was not given a boot, and was told to walk. Take it step by step and listen to you body, it tells you what you can do. Start Physiotherapy asap, very, very important. Hope you recover soon.
    • Posted

Hi Daphne, you were not even given a walking boot at 6 weeks? That's scary! How are you now and how far along after surgery are you? I will be back at one of my jobs in a few days. That job is bearable. But my main job is two weeks away. That job has three flights of stairs to tackle, plus a gated in security parking lot two blocks away in a dangerous area to walk in day and night.

• Posted

Hi, no Yvonne I was not given a boot. Cast came off and told to walk. I am now about 21 weeks post op and doing well. I can do about 95% of the things I used to do. Physio and home exercises very important, as well as massage. Stairs are fine now, but at your stage very scary. Go slow and be very careful. Can't you get someone to take and fetch you from work, especially if it is a dangerous area.

• Posted

Yvonne. I know where ur coming from. Im 9 weeks post surgery. My surgeon advised me at 8 week point to start walking in boot and put a quarter of my body weight on my bad ankle. U wonder constantly are you doing too much or not enough.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, glad to hearead that you were 8 weeks when you started some weight bearing. It's scary how much weight bearing to do. I just worry that more time is needed for me. Now being in my 7th week, hoping it's not too early. I have to tackle one of my jobs in a few days and the other main job in 2 weeks. The main job is flights of stairs, with blocks of walking from a security gated parking lot and in a dangerous area.

• Posted

Yvonne. U are very brave indeed. Stairs scare the wits out of me. I hope u that ur recovery is swift. It's so frustrating. It's baby steps literally. I'm up this morning practicing back and forward. Once it gets painful I stop and rest foot up. Then have another try a few hours later. Good luck and I really hope u get back to work soon. Think the key is when u feel pain then you rest.

• Posted

Keep practicing. You are wise. My Dr said your exact words "When you feel pain, rest".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.