Ankle Badly Sprained and now bruised shin - to see GP??

Posted , 1 user is following.

I sprained my ankle 10 days ago, resulting in immediate severe swelling and pain. I went to A&E and was dealt with by a practitioner nurse who took about 5 minutes to discharge me. I had an x-ray which revealed no broken bones.

I'm still in alot of pain and the swelling is only just starting to go down. This has created a different pain (shooting pains, cramping) and my foot feels very unstable and loose. I've also had a lot of bruising up my shin on the same leg, which feels incredibly sore and painful - even though i didn't fall on it.

Some friends were shocked when they saw the bruising and swelling a few days ago and couldn't believe how bad it was - half my foot was a different colour, with deep bruising right around my heel, along the bottom of my toes, inner and outer foot and all around my ankle. The bruising was blood red in many places, forming definite lines.

Several people have said to me that it appears to be a severe sprain, and that i should reach out to a doctor to check ligaments haven't been torn or if it needs to be wrapped. I wasn't given crutches, support bandages or even strong pain killers by the nurse I saw at A&E, and never having had an injury before, I'm not sure what to expect or if it's normal.

A friend whos had several operations etc on his ankle looked at mine and said that I'd definitely ripped ligaments based on how sever the bruising and swelling was. I've attached a photo of how it looks 10 days after it happened.

Should I get in touch with my GP and ask them to take a look?

Do I need to get my shin looked at as this was not addressed in the initial consultation?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.