Ankle fracture advice please....

Posted , 10 users are following.

I fractured the tibula in my left ankle 11 days ago whilst on holiday. Now in my 3rd cast and told no weight bearing on crutches. Issue is the crutches have made my lower back very painful, so much so that however I sit or stand the lumber region is very painful. Been told the fracture is at the back of the bone and caused by a ligament pulling a chunk the tibula away from the main body. Any advice appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Consider using an iWalk 2.0 while non weight bearing. I purchased one online and it's been a lifesaver. Allows you to walk upright, hands free.
  • Posted

I hate crouches. I rented a knee scooter ( I should have bought one since I used it for 8 weeks) and used a walker when I could begin weight bearing. 
  • Posted

I purchased a knee scooter from amazon. I think I paid $172. They are a bit cheaper at sears but the shipping was quicker with Amazon. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

I had the same problem when I tried using crutches at first. Got a walker and a wheelchair until I could weight bear, then used the walker around the house, crutches when we went out. Stretches and massages helped with my back pain too
  • Posted

So sorry.  Sounds so uncomfortable.  I hopped about on a Zimmer frame because i didnt have room in my home for a scooter.   Are you on any meds for the inflammation?
  • Posted

Hi if your lower back is painful after 11 day's I would rather ask the Dr. for an alternative to the crutches, maybe a knee scooter or something else. I don't known how long you are going to be nwb, but even when you start weight bearing again you will still need crutches. Also try a wheelchair if you have the space to move around in it. I broke my ankle in February and had to have surgery and I am still trying to get off the crutches. Most of the time I only use one crutch now but am trying to walk with no crutches but can only do it for short periods because it is still a bit uncomfortable, but I try going longer without them every day. Good luck with your recovery and God bless.
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your injury....I am one month post-op after ancle fracture, had a plate and two screws put on. Not using crutches much, when at home using portable wheelchair, rented from Pharmasave, very affordable ( I am in Canada), also rented an electrical scooter to go out for a ride with my dog or groceries...as being mentioned before, knee scooter is a good idea...Hope your back will be better, you should  ask your doctor's advice on this.
  • Posted

I got a massage once a week.  Alternated using wheelchair, crutches.  I had a hard time using the knee scooter.  I found it to be tippy and was afraid to use it outside where there are cracks and uneven ground, however others seems to love it.  I took mine back after a few weeks.  I also had a walker and used it more when I got out of the cast.  
    • Posted

I used my Zimmer frame inside the house and particularly around kitchen as it allowed me to hop to wear I needed to go without the nuisance of two crutches which often fell over. I progressed to crutches only when I wanted to walk outside

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.