Ankle fracture from 45 yrs ago

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Fractured my ankle at 17 yrs. Now I'm 60. Saw the dr two days ago and it's looking like I'm going to have to choose between Fusion or ankle replacement. Wearing a soft brace and it helps with a lot of the pain I've been experiencing.  Since 2015 I've had double knee replacements and surgery for rotator cuff. I'm pretty nervous about this surgery.

Chean houses, pretty active and really need to enjoy and keep up with my two granddaughters. Please give me some advice on what I should choose.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello

have you gotten a second opinion?  I would before I proceed personally it sounds like your a very active person there are options for pain if that is an issue. Unless it's totally damaged from years gone by you would be best to explore all other options first. My feelings on this as I skirted knee surgery that would have been the end as I know it from an over anxious surgeon.  I hope your having a good day....

• Posted

Hi Patti, if your doctor is discussing surgery then I assume simple pain relief is  no longer working. Having had a TAR 7 months ago I know how you must be feeling.  If you'd like any further advice just ask and I'll be happy to help. Gill xx
    • Posted

Thanks for responding Gill. I would like to know how your first few months went. I know there must be a lot of time of not getting on you feet much. How are you at 7 months in? I guess I would like you to tell me what you would have like to had known before hand now that you've gotten this far. I'm stressed about what I think is going to be a long recovery and wondering if I should suffer with the pain longer.
    • Posted

Hi Patti, it would seem that my situation is a bit likes yours in as much as I'm 61 and suffered an ankle injury 20 years ago. Cutting a long (4years) story short my 1st TAR Dec 2013 didn't "knit" with my bone so had to be revised in Nov last year. I'm now 7 months post op and starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I won't pretend that this isn't a long ,slow and painful process because it is; and there are no shortcuts but the results are worthwhile. Neither is there any point in delaying the inevitable because the older you are the slower the healing process will be. Added to that, the worse state the ankle is in at the point of surgery, the worse the outcome is likely to be.
    • Posted

You won't want to hear this but work and looking after children is out of the question. After surgery I was on strict bed rest for 2 weeks and totally dependent on my husband. No weight bearing for 8 weeks then partial WB takes up to 3 months. There's no point in "being brave" and trying to do stuff as it will only set you back and you also risk accident to yourself and your implant. 

I didn't consider fusion as this is considered "end of the road " treatment. Eventually other bones in your foot will become arthritic and painful. The TAR can be replaced if and when it wears out but either way the recovery time is much the same.

It's your right to ask for a surgeon who's done many, many TAR's not just any Orthopaedic Surgeon. 

If there's anything else I can help you with, just ask. 

• Posted

I can't thank you enough for your direct reply. I wanted to know the facts from someone who's been through it. You have been helpful on the two things that concern me the most, knitting with the bone and the long recovery. 

I would like to wait until I can't get along on it any longer but after reading your message it seems like I should not delay to long.

Thanks again Gill

• Posted

Not sure if you have seen it Patti but I sent you a private message with my email address in case you wanted to contact me directly 
  • Posted

Our neighbour has similar. Cuff rotator, has had knee replacements, ankle replacements, now awaiting toe fusion. Both feet. Ankle replacements worked well. Is wanting both feet done at same time.

Explore your options.

Good luck. I broke my fibula 8 months ago. Snapped it like a carrot. No healing at all. At 4 months, 6 screws and a plate. Bakers cyst on other leg.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Thank you for letting me know about your neighbor. That is encouraging. 

Sorry to hear about you situation. Sounds like you could us a little encouragement. Sure hope things things get better.

• Posted

Oops. I'm OK. Same Sh*# different day. I'm fine. I can't be bothered dying of a broken leg, bakers cyst, cancer or a heart attack. I've got many good years of healthy living to do.I'll just go quietly of old age lol.

My last post is being moderated.

Take care.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Oops. I'm OK. Same Sh*# different day. I'm fine. I can't be bothered dying of a broken leg, bakers cyst, cancer or a heart attack. I've got many good years of healthy living to do.I'll just go quietly of old age lol.

My last post is being moderated.

Take care.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

I had arthritis in my ankle, went to one dr and he wanted to do the black and decker right away, i told him no way. several years later, i went to another dr, got another opinion. we did everything. Cotisone, the large walking boot, a plaster cast that you put on and take off, etc.  Went to another dr, who is by the way awesome!!! i had a talonvecular fusion april 7, was in a bandage slpint when i came out of surgery for 2 weeks, went into a cast for 5 weeks, and now in a walking/air boot and cane until the 17th. Had a little pain because of the surgery, and everything healing. im walking really well, no more pain at all. im very happy with the progress. Of course still very careful of what i do, but walking with my cane, and the boot. The first few weeks are rough, and make sure you keep it elevated, and no weight bearing.  im extremely happy with my results, but everyone is different. 

god luck

sue

• Posted

i forgot to add in that he put in 3 screws and 2 plates. its all good, and cant feel them. 
    • Posted

I appreciate your posting. I am glad to hear how well you are healing. It sounds as though you have had many dr parient meetings to get to where you are now. I don't know much a bout fusion. Correct me if I'm wrong but, you can't bend you ankle, right? If that's so how does that affect walking and balance? I would like to know more about how fusion affect ability to get around. 
    • Posted

Thank you. Im very happy i got several opinions before i went ahead and did it. Yes, i can move my ankle. I can move it back and forth, and to the right, not so much to the left becaue of the fusion. Its fine, at least I dont have anymore pain in my ankle. I actually have an appt this afternoon with my dr. Im doing so well, that Im anxious to find out what the next step is. Im supposed to go in next week, but want to go in today. Ill keep you posted. 
    • Posted

Thank Sue, Hearing from you has been enlightening. You and some others on the site have helped arm me with plenty of questions for my next dr visit. Also, I will find out just how many of these surgeries he has done and another opinion seen like a good thing with something this important. 

Please do keep me posted on your progress.

• Posted

your very welcome.   I went to my dr today. A week early, but im sooo glad I did. Im able to be out of my air boot while im home, use the came to go up and down the stairway. Use the boot and cane while im out and about. I go back on July 13th and will go forward with walking with out the boot, and cane, and on my own.  My incision is healing awesome, and the plates and screws are exactly where they are supposed to be. The only worry we have is that the plate could snap like a paper clip, but it wont happen. He is very very happy with everything.  I cant tell you how wonderful it feels to be walking with out the boot and cane. 
    • Posted

What do you mean plate could snap like a paper clip?

Surely you have to take it easy to allow bone density to grow.

Maybe I'm in a similar position. But gosh I'm sure not thinking down that path. Yikes!

©{°π°}®

• Posted

my dr said that could be the worst. the plates are like a paper clip, and if they are bent back and forth, it ccould snap. 

i have been on my foot alot since monday, and have to take it easy. its swollen, and it has wanted to give out on me. he told me that i could walk on it around the house with the cane, but really need to take it easy, and keep it elevated. 

• Posted

Hmmm. I'd use a moonboot for physical and mental support. And crutches. You don't want it giving out. Scary. I'll be thinking of you.

©{°∆°}®

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up