Ankle Ligament Reconstruction 4 days post op and pain is worse than giving birth

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had surgery on Wed the 26th. Doctor gave me a nerve block that wore off Thursday. Since then I have been been taking my Norco every 3 hours and have been able to manage the pain. I have a higher tolerance to pain. About an hour ago the pain is constant and unbearable I can't move. I have taken 2 norcos but it is not helping I have given birth to 4 kids and the pain was not this bad. I am literally crying so hard snot is running down my face. I know I was told it was going to be painful afterwards while it heals but I was not expecting this. Is this normal? I do not think my leg is swollen. No one is home with me except my 11 yr old and I feel bad he came in to check on me and I yelled at him. All he did was touch the bed.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had broken my ankle in 3 places 2 weeks ago and had rods and screws put in. I didn't have ankle ligament surgery so I can't comment on your pain but my surgery was quite painful as well. Is there anyone who can come and stay with you while your going through the roughest part of this surgery? Try to hang in there, it will get better 😊

• Posted

I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery quite a long time ago (when I was 16, almost 17, and I'm 26 now, so 9 years), and I lived on the couch for the first 2 week with my family waiting on me hand and foot because I was in too much pain to do anything. I even avoided going to the bathroom as much as possible because that much movement caused enough pain for me to cry. I had a pain pump to help afterwards, and I think that if I hadn't had that, I would've been in the exact same situation as you are. So I guess what I'm saying is, yes, although it is horrible as hell, it is normal. But it'll get better, I promise! If you have any questions about the surgery/recovery, feel free to ask! Like I said, it's been a minute since my surgery, but I remember the entire summer well (I had the surgery done right after school got out and got back to "normal" -- still wearing a brace and in PT right when school got back in).

• Posted

Hi! So I actually got ankle reconstruction surgery about 1 month ago, I also had a tendon repair and I feel your pain. My advice would be to keep your leg elevated as best as possible, well above your heart level. Eat the narcotics before you start to feel the pain and honestly just sleep away your first 10 days. The worst is waking up from nap/sleep but you just have to keep taking the painkillers on routine, and if its still hurting a lot after that I would call your doctor and get a stronger prescription. Dont move unless you have to use the bathroom and get right back into bed. I know it must suck right now but I promise next week gets a lot better, as do the following weeks. Stay strong and keep yourself distracted with music/movies! 
    • Posted

Hello. I'm getting tendon repair in my right ankle, how is that process how's the pain after surgery?

• Posted

actually pain is just after few hours of surgery, then there is no pain till when cast is off & you want to start walking again, in that time you may need PT & ofcourse pain.

• Posted

Hi, 

So tendon repair surgery usually gets you a nerve block. That gives you relief for about 24 hours and the longer the better because youll be totally numb. If you dont get the nerve block then youll feel it sooner so Id say take your narcotics a few hours after op. Overall the pain was decently sharp, depends on your pain tolerance. If this is your first major injury or surgery then I would take your medicines very carefully on time, dont miss them because thats when pain is the most. Lastly and most importantly...DONT MOVE! Standing rushes blood there immediately and you will feel the pain for a while after you sit. Stay in bed and elevate for the first week CONSTANTLY. Grab a book or laptop and just chill. The more you move the slower it will heal. After about 10-14 days you should have a follow-up appt and after that you can ease back into mobility. Once again I cant emphasize how important rest is the first two weeks. the sleep is good for you so dont feel bad about it. 

Also Ankle surgery.....I dont know what youre talking about lol the pain starts AFTER a few hours of surgery and it most definitely doesnt disappear until you get your cast off. I have 1 week left with the cast, and pain is up and down but you kinda get used to it after a week. 

• Posted

Hi i replied to you under this by accident. please see! 
    • Posted

Hi, they are different methods of tendon repair surgery may be yours have been different from mine.

The a nerve block, works for about 4 to 5 hours then after that the person will feel the worst pain ever, BUT this pain just disappears after 24 hours may be up to 48 hours. I do not feel any pain for all the six week in cast AT ALL, Then after opening the cast doctor told me I should start walking, then the pain starts again each step I feel a lot pain, But Doctor is telling me I should walk this pain out! He told me I should have walked normally after two weeks, but now I just walk by very small steps & of course lots of pain, BUT I think I’m seeing improvement day by day.

I’m now just finished week 8, so my advice to you guys is just take advantage of being in the cast, because after opening of that the real pain is out there...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.