Ankle pain question

Posted , 8 users are following.

So far I have been doing pretty good with rehab. I am a little more then two weeks when I started walking and PT. I am slowly getting ROM back but I have noticed the past few days that I am getting stabs of pain in my ankle from time to time. I asked my PT about it today and she said whatever I am doing when this happens, stop doing it or take a break. So later today I notice they just come and go whether or not I am doing something such as walking or simply elevating my foot. It is annoying. They occur in different places, not aways at the same place. So does anybody else experience this. If so has it gotten better? It isn't something that has slowed my completely down. In fact I am still progressing. It's just annoying. They are not excruciating at all but I certainly don't want them to be more frequent or get worse.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So what a difference from two days ago. Well last night I was up and didn't sleep much and blamed it on my ankle. Then I rode my horse today and had the best ride ever. I rode for 10 minutes longer then before and even posted to the trot with absolutely zero ankle pain! I got off her and when I was done I was actually able to walk completely normal for the first time. I forced myself to walk faster and I found that I could. I was still wearing boots from riding so I don't know yet if I can do the same in sneakers. I am hoping I can maintain this and it is not just a fluke. But it feels great. I'm going for a bike ride later today so now I am resting up for that. I was waiting for a day like this where just for once things feel a lot better. I was so excited about it and wanted to share my awsome news and to let you know it is possible to have significant improvements.

• Posted

So happy for you Dawn. That's how it works. At first nothing seems to work right and one can get really down, then you get days when everything is amazing. Then some days come again, at times, where you feel not quite as good, but in the next day or so you are better than ever. The best judge should be looking at the trajectory. Always remember how you were a month ago, and then you will really realize with amazement what a good job you and your body, working so very hard, have done. Sometimes you have to go through a storm to notice rainbows! 

• Posted

How is everything going?are u still walkin wit the boot on? How long have u been back walkin? Have you been limping? Are u still having pain?
    • Posted

Hi shantell,

I have been bootless for little over two weeks

I am improving every day. The one day I had a lot of shooting pain. It was the day I wrote the post, last Friday. Since then I haven't had much at all. I am walking a whole lot better, faster and normal most of the time. By the end of the day I am tired and don't care how I walk then. Over the weekend I rode my horse and also bike rode for just under an hour. Today I walked the dog up our stony lane, did PT in the morning, worked out after lunch, PT again, rode the horse for a half hour. Gardened, and replaced the top to my jeep. It is the most I've done in the past two days then the whole two months. My ROM has improved because I can do squats now. When I walk it still feels like a tight band around my ankle. I think I am getting used to it and not as cautious about it. I am slowly getting better with walking down steps..my PT has me doing 20 of them followed by 20 more in slow motion. I break out in a sweat each time I do them. I start back to work next Monday so I am trying to do as much as I can before my time is limited. The thing called work will get in the way. How about you? How are you doing?

• Posted

That is great i know u feel relieved.. My doctor told me i can put weight on my leg Thursday,So right after my visit i start putting weight on my leg i can walk without crutches but i still use them i been exercising on my own my doctor said i do not need therapy but i think he said because i have been moving my ankle since a couple days after surgery. I really push myself i go back to work on the 27th
    • Posted

Great news. Your getting back to life and enjoying every minute. Isn't it funny how we take for granted the small thing we do in our daily lives until we can't do them .

your horse must be a sweetie! Careful with the scooping and twisting. 

Lol.

• Posted

I'm glad you are doing well..I saw somewhere in the posts a chart with all of the excercises. I do find that it takes each day to plan around doing them twice. I am getting up at 5 am so I will be ready to do the pt in the mornings. I'm not starting them this early though. I still have a few more days. Getting up early is enough for now. LOL!

• Posted

She is a very reactive high strung horse and loves to go but I started up on her slow and walked her in a small space. Now we are walking and trotting around large fields and she had been great. She had been so sweet and careful with me. You are so right though!! It was easy to take it all for granted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.