Ankle sprain 9 weeks and athritis??

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello I had an ankle sprain 9 weeks ago..Jun 10, 2016. I went to ER and did an X-ray. The doctor there told me it was just a sprain but he didn't say the severity. For the first 3 weeks, I was unable to walk or stand on foot and there was lot of swellng and pain. After 3 weeks, swelling is gone and pain is still there is certain angles but was able to start walking.

From week 4, I am seeing little improvements and flexibilty and motion of my ankle but still my front side ankle is little swollen and I cant yet stand on one leg(sprained leg). After doing some research I feel I have a ankle athritis as I have symptons very similar to it. My front ankle is always warm, little swollen and there is a pain around it. 

Can anyone tel me if ankle sprain can lead to athritis? or is it common to have front ankle swollen even after 9 weeks of sprain. i have litlle stiffness and there is no swelling around(not on foot too) except on the ankle.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I currently have a fractured fibular - it's a lot less painful than a sprain! I badly sprained my ankle years ago and it was a few months before any swelling and pain went away completely. Sprains are horrendously bad as you damage muscle and ligaments and as they're always in use it takes a long time to heal and settle. I doubt very much it's arthiritis x

• Posted

Hi Sri,

Sorry you are having trouble

My ankle was swollen for a year. The way that I could tell that it wasn't from a sprain is when I iced it and nothing happenef-it stayed swollen and it still hurt. I had ankle surgery, eight ankle pins and a plate on top of the big toe for ankle fusion and big toe fusion (bad toe bunion). I am in week 9 post op and it doesn't hurt much anymore. Walking with crutches and boot. Does this help you?

Yvonne

• Posted

Ok, first off an ER w/ only be able to tell you what xray says. The word "sprain", from what I am learning, is too general of a term. An orthopedic doctor should probably be seen. Just because they can't see anything on xray doesn't mean there isn't an issue. Similarly, I went to ER on June 2.  I just kept going w/ ice, went to work, elevated when possible. Even the ortho just handed me crutches and a camboot. My stress fracture diagnosed on July 6 through MRI is really severe. Swelling after so long probably indicates you need an MRI. 

• Posted

Yes, an ankle sprain can lead to arthritis. That is what happened to my ankle. First it was a sprain then pain. Then it was osteoarthritis and after 4 x-rays (over a few years) and a ct scan I ended up getting ankle fusion surgery because my bones started wearing away around my ankle. A CT scan cam def tell you if you have any other bone issues.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up