Ankle still swollen after dislocation & fracture - surgery required

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi as I previously said my ankle was dislocated and fractured in 3 places I have a plate with screws on the right hand side of my leg and and other hardware in my foot. I have been in a walking g boot a month now and and can walk with one crutch and short distance without any crutches but the left hand side of my ankle is still some olden and I can't flex my foot like I can the other and I'm confused as to how I am going to walk without the boot when I go back to my next consultant apt on 23rd March - is so much swelling normal at this stage and advice on how I will be able to walk without boot greatly sought???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

From what I have gathered from others the swelling continues for quite a few months.  Mine stopped swelling about the six or seventh month.  It now is quite still and throb now.
  • Posted

I had a trimalleor break.....  a plate with 8 screws and then 3 other longs screws through the ankle....... I found both pain relief and a lot less swelling at about 12 weeks......after that it all seemed to start getting better.
  • Posted

Hi Yorkiegal,

Swelling will be on and off while you start walking with full weight bearing. So don't be disheartened or give up. I am now in the third month from my ankle surgery met with an accident last year Nov fractured my left ankle fibula and tibia implanted with a plate & 9 screws. Initially I was told to use the boots but I felt very uncomfortable. After which was adviced to walk full weight bearing at 7th weeks after surgery. I tried and it was fine but as time went by my better leg started to give me pain and I limp a lot it was a nightmare. I always felt sad seeing my ankle swell then after consultation Understood from my.doc & PT that I strained my better leg more and was adviced to use the square walking frame. It helps but my hip joint gets painful in less then 15mins while I stand or doing something as soon as I feel the lower back getting cramp I will need to sit down... that's what I am going thru now. If you have swelling unbearable pain pls take the painkillers it's meant to help reduce swelling and also elevate yr legs higher for blood flow to be smooth while sleeping. All the best speedy recovery.

• Posted

Wow, I guess I got off easy with no surgery.  I broke all three ankle bones and was in a non-weight bearing cast for 3 months.  At eight months I am waiting for the results of a CT Scan as my ankle makes a snapping sound when I walk.  Maybe I just need an oil can.  LOL
  • Posted

Have you tried wearing a compression sock?  I ordered the athletic style as they feel more like a sock as opposed to the ones that look and feel like thick tights and look like something granny would wear.  I put them on as soon as I get up.  I probably look silly because I live in Florida and wear shorts and walk around with one tall sock and a little ankle sock.  But my foot and ankle does not swell.  If I don't put it on right away poof I have a swollen tomato for a foot.  My doctor said expect swelling for up to one year.  I find with the compression sock my foot has more range of motion because it is not getting so filled with fluid.  I bought so many brands in all different price ranges to compare that if I was a kid I could do a science project on the quality and comfort.  

When you transition to walking will you be using a physical therapist.  My therapist has a zero gravity tread mill called an ultra g and I don't know what I would have done without it.  It teaches you to walk with very little body weight and as you progress you add more percentages of your body weight.  Not sure if you have access to one but if you do it may become your new bff. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.