Ankle Ulcers

Posted , 4 users are following.

I hope there is somebody from Canada who successfully is treating this issue. Since 2009 I had 4 ulcers (3 on left ankle and one on right). In beginning there was 2-3 years between ulcers but since May last year I got 2 and one one right ankle was for first time and I had the most painful experince. I had to ask my Family doctor to give me the strongest pain medication he is allowed to issue as I was unable to sleep. It took more than 3 months to heal.

Process of healing that is used on me is combination of Viscopaste wrap, Coban compression and antibiotics . My previous Vascular doctor have been promising me Vain striping but than backed up when I asked 6 months later at that point I stopped seeing him.

I read many posts here and obviously some people had luck with different treatments, but I am honestly tired of ulcers. Last year I had to stop working because of pain, stayed at home and not much activity as pain was unbearable , but this year I have decide to keep active as much as I can so will see if there is difference. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi zees1977, i never had any problems with my legs until june last year, i had huge green ulcerations on both shins and both legs were covered in blisters at the bk which prevented me from sleeping in my bed, i couldnt even kept the dressings on as they were 2 painful, i reached my lowest over last christmas, became very suicidal as fluid just kept leeking from both legs, i had trouble walking and i couldnt wear trousers as they stuck to both legs, i was seeing the nurse 3 times a week and kept getting bad infections. I dont know what happened but i found this inner strength and from april this year i let the nurse wash my legs using dermal cream and a debrisoft, i just bit my tongue and let her get on with it, by 5 weeks all the greeny yellow has came off, all my leg ulcers have dried out and i feel a totally new person, atm im struggling with the compression, the bandages that runs from my foot to knee on both legs wont stay up they just slip down to my ankle, but im at a place now looking bk over the last year didnt think i would ever be in, i wish u a speedy recovery and hope it doesnt be 2 painful on you x
  • Posted

Hi ZeeS1977. I have had problems with ulcers on my left ankle for a few years now. I had surgery ( a closure) a few years ago. Then the ulcer came back. I have been in wound care for a year. Vein Doctor read my charts and said I had PAD. Went for a second opinion to vascular surgeon, he said I didn't have PAD. I'm so fed up. I'm working on compression therapy on my own right now. I have special bandages that I wear under the ulcer care stockings. I have virtually no pain and hoping the ulcer heals. It's been non stop. From everything I have read, it is not unusual to have ulcers for years. Ugh.

• Posted

Hi Zee. Sorry to hear about your problem with leg ulcers. They truly are a curse. I have had one on my right leg for 18 months. I saw your post and was wondering if the viscous wrap coban cmpression dressing you mentioned is called a unne boot? If so where do you buy them? I'm in Sydney and have asked in some pharmacies and they look at me as if I'm crazy. Nobody seems to know about them here.

Thank you for sharing your story and good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.