Ankylosing Spondylitis and Inflamatory Markers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have AS, but normal inflammatory markers? My old Rheum was pushing Humira 4 years ago, but I had no inflammation, so I declined.

A more recent x-ray of my mid back shows it lit up like a Christmas tree and i am having pain here the last few months. So I guess the AS comes/goes?

The reason I ask is that i have been on Humira for about two months and it has done nothing for my pain/stiffness, if anything I feel worse lately. The odd thing is that the first two injections seemed to have helped my bowels; I no longer had the concern about pooping myself. But by the time I hit my third injection this effect has worn off.

I asked my doctor to check my antibodies, so we'll see. Although it seems a little early for my body to have rejected the Humira already.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, AS inflammation varies. I had 2 years of remission per my blood tests and lower pain then.  Tho still had pain/stiffness from prior damage.  

My AS also "flares"- inflammation is high and it can attack specific areas (currently my left foot). I work to manage things I know trigger inflammation: stress, inactivity, diet, etc. 

Also, AS activity/damage can occur in many without pain symptoms. 

I wish you luck with biologics. I've read interesting studies related to AS and it can be life changing for many. 

• Posted

Hi

I have as and never have inflammatory markers im also hb 27 negative.

Ive been doing alot of research and there are alot of other factors involved.

I had the same thing with enbrel it was great for a week then i felt horrible but my doctor reminded me my as goes in fortnightly cycles of flare ups and enbrel is not a cure is just supposed to lesson the effects of the flare ups and stop further damage.

Im about 3 months in and my flare ups still suck but it is helping to an extent.

I think humeria is a fortnightly shot?maybe you should swap to enbrel is a weekly injection.

I hope everything works out for you ☺

• Posted

Thanks Kristy,

I find it really odd that we can have AS, but not have inflammatory markers. Although there was one time I had them tested and they were off the chart, but I can't say I felt any different. ATM I'm having real issues with my tendons and my breathing is affected, although they are not really sure why. I have some back issues of course and just generally feel stiff. I'm currently trying PRP for my Tendinopathy  (Enthesitis), but I think the only think it's going to make better is my doctor's wallet. frown

I had the antibody test done for Humira, so we'll see if my immune system has killed the immune suppressant. LOL.

• Posted

Hey

I have the same thing my lungs get inflamed and i struggle with tendon pain im on gabbapentine to try control it.

My face swells so bad my ears almost close up and you can barely see my eyes.

But no one can tell me why either.

We are very rare though it wasn't till this year that a study was published saying that a person e who doesn't have the gene can still have the disease. Im being used as a case study because my condition is so odd.

Unfortunately we have to figure it or for our selves.

I hope your test results help.

I know what you mean although I'm lucky now i get mine through medicare

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.