Another bad head and stomach

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone . Yet another post from me . It's coming up that time of the month yet again . I often only go three to three and a half weeks between periods now . I have just turned 50 , so I guess this is normal . The thing is I still worry about my migraines that hang on for days and my unsettled feeling stomach that I seem to get every month like clockwork before a period . I have just been put on migraine tablets that seem to be helping make the migraine less severe , but it's still hanging on and my stomach is still off . It makes me feel so down as well and wondering how long I will feel generally under the weather . I am also weaning myself off citalopram at the moment , following doctors advice . She said that as I have been on them for 18 months she would prefer me to come off them , as they should not be a long term solution . I am down from 10mg to 5 now . I just feel I want boosting up and to know that these monthly symptoms and intermittent stomach issues are normal for my age . The doctor is not concerned and I have previously had lots of tests , all clear apart from anaemia . Thank you Jane 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It just depends on the individual. It can last several years, I'm afraid. I had irregular extremely heavy periods from age 47 in 2013 till recently. Then I got hot flushes and night sweats and no period for 160 days. Then, with no warning, I got a period last Monday. Hot flushes and night sweats have stopped, but I don't expect that is permanent. Perhaps once my ovaries decide to stop again the hot flushes will begin again. Who knows? It is an unpredictable time for women and we are each different. I suppose the only indication you may have for how long things will last is to ask your mum what happened with her. My mum was on HRT so I couldn't use her for an indicator for what will happen. This menopause discussion forum makes grim reading really, when you see the things we have to go through. It's the payoff for a longer lifespan... In days gone by we would have been dead before we entered menopause. So that is one silver lining! 🤗

• Posted

Thanks suki for your reply . Unfortunately I lost my mum 2 years ago which I know has only added to my problems as the fact that I have been grieving as well . All my symptoms came out of nowhere following my mums death . I can remember that my mum had terrible hot flushes and that she suffered from migraines also . They are on my mums side of the family , so I suppose this is why I am getting them now as I approach menopause . 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your loss. My dad died 2 years ago and my mum is now in a care home. It is a tough time of life - we have to cope with menopause and ailing parents (plus, in my case 2 teenage children because I had kids late). You hang in there, it will get easier.
  • Posted

Hi Jane, I'm 51, in peri meno, suffer from bad headaches, never suffer from headaches before, my  blood pressure has shot up too. On meds,  Periods are every three weeks, not too heavy tho, feel down and under the weather.

sorry your going thru this too, don't know when it's gonna stop... Some days I feel like I'm not gonna make it with so much ailments. Some days I feel I'm 20 yrs old... It's a crazy thing... Hope you feel better soon...

• Posted

Hi Jane

I too have the stomach issue which seem to hang around period time. My period just left and this stomach issue is still hanging around. I know i was diagnosed with gastritis but there is no doubt in my mind that it's due to hormones. I manage to have at least 2 good weeks out of the month. For this cycle I've been dealing with severe bloating, slow bowel movements, and the irritability is off the roof.

Anything I eat irritates it by making it burn or do spasm.

I am on biodentical hormones but I think it has made my symptons worsen especially the irritability.

What kind of symptons are you having?

Have you tried things like essential oil for your headache? At the beginning I was getting the headaches, I started using essential oils which helped me a whole lot.

Hang on in there, I know it's difficult sometimes but this too shall pass is what I have to keep telling myself also.

• Posted

You can't calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.

• Posted

Why on Earth a doctor would make you come off of an antidepressant at the time you are most vulnerable is beyond me. Coming off them is difficult enough for a healthy, young person, let alone for a woman in peri or meno. I know people who stayed on them for decades, with gret success. Of course, consult you doc, but also do what your gut feeling tells you to do.
  • Posted

Thanks Anetta for your response . I was anxious at the time to wean myself off the citalopram , but also I don't want to be dependant on them . So far , so good . I think most of these symptoms now are hormone related . When I think back to how I was as a teenager , both before and once I started my periods and the problems I had then it's just par for the course now as I reach the end of my child bearing days . I want to be strong and get through all this with natural remedies . Any advice on what's good ? I am down to 5mgs now for just over a fortnight and will take as long as I need to slowly reduce that for as long as it takes . I will not rush it . Here's hoping 🤞 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.