Another milestone! Coming up for 9 weeks post TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Last night, for the first time since the TKR we went out for a meal with the family.  Living in a bungalow means I've not done steps and because of knees haven't done steps for over 10 years but with the increased exercise and increasing confidence in the new knee, we went to a restaurant that had two lots of four steps.  I managed fine!  The new knee is wonderful!  I'm now able to do my bike at a level seven resistance - before only went up to two or three and am pushing to get closer and closer to the pedals because I figure this is good for the knee that will be done late summer too.  Am just about as close as it's physically possible to get now, with no problem.  Service was slow in the restaurant and we were there sitting for about two plus hours.  When I stood up both knees were stiff but the operated one eased within a few steps.  It was the unoperated one giving me the grief, but hey, what's new LOL! 

I wondered if the sitting, and probably more swelling would affect the bend last night (yes, still did that when we got home) but got to 136, so well pleased the way that's going.  Aiming for 140, but we'll see.

I feel fitter and stronger than I have for about 20 years, already!  This is so good!  A few weeks ago I was feeling weak and unbalanced as I walked but now feeling so much better.  I think part of it is confidence in my new knee.

I just want to encourage those feeling that the time has come for a new knee but are really worried.  I put these ops off for so long because I was worried about 'something going wrong' but then once I decided I was going for it, decided it wasn't going to 'go wrong' and it's been the best thing I could have ever done.  Can't wait for the next one now!  I'm 67 but this has taken years off me!  Before, I felt like an 80 year old, struggling to walk so much.  Yes, the other knee is still bad but one good knee is so much better than no good knees!

Just a tip, that MIGHT help others waiting for a knee op.  EVERY morning (or in the night if I have to get up for a wee) I NEVER get up out of bed without straightening and stretching the unoperated knee and did this with both knees for years.  If I got up without doing this the knee would give way with the most awful pain, but just stretching and straightening it first made so much difference.  It might just help someone else!  Wishing you all a pain free happy day!

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.