Another small step.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. Lately i have felt I've hit a wall and not progressing but today I had to take the dogs out for their walk as my hubby is away for the weekend. Well. I thought I would be pulled over or be stuck half way with them but it didn't happen.I did it. It wasn't too painful and I enjoyed it. It has occurred to me that if I have to do something (such as driving) because there is no alternative) then I go for it. However, if there is someone there to do the things I'd rather put off I let them do it for me. 9 wks plus 4 now. Wow where did that go? I now think I shall walk more so to the beach with the dogs. It's 2 miles there and back so wish me luck.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It's got to be true, if someone else will do it for us, we'll let them....I've been doing for myself for 40 yrs with the exception of a bf now and then, and do it all....or hire help as needed...

After my hip replacement and we were told NOT to drive for at least 2 weeks as I recall, and I was doing good overall and my daughter needed some help as her car was in the  shop, I drove her to the grandgirls's school at about the 7 day mark and I did fine. 

Good luck on the longer walk, hope it's not too much.   J 

• Posted

It won't be. I remember doing the walk a few weeks ago with sticks and pain killers. That was because my lovely grandson wanted to see the sea. Now I shall  do it without sticks and meds. Onwards and upwards1
  • Posted

Wow good for you Carol! Clearly it boosted your confidance and I feel you will handle the 2 mile walk to the beach just fine! ( and lucky you being so close to the beach!) I bet your dogs are happy too smile

Betty - almost 18 weeks ( but still can't go 2 miles

sad.  I have to catch up with Tucks, as she is putting me to shame!

• Posted

Good for you!, it's your recovery, so yes it's all up to you.

Savour the feel good factor, it will lift you higher and higher each time!!

Keep it up

• Posted

Can you explain what 9 weeks plus 4 means? Did you have both done? I did, 4 weeks apart and I am 9 and 5 weeks. I did 2 km yesterday, which is 1 mile and a little bit. I'll be really happy if I can do 4-5 km at 9 and 13 weeks.
    • Posted

Sorry Sandra I meant 9 wks 4 days. At the beginning of this journey every day counted and we were all counting in days. I would never have been able to face a second at 4 weeks, you are so brave, but now I could, knowing the tremendous difference it is making. I have put back my 2 inches in height as my leg is straight for the first time in years. We are all different and I drove much earlier than I should have. I also walked a heck of a long way at four weeks butI then lost my way a little. Now I'mon the right track again.

• Posted

I'm not brave. Just pIgheadedsmile I have been quite difficult to live with!!! I just want to get back to work and have my own money and my life back. It has not been easy. I have got taller since my TKR too. 164 cm to 170. I was always 170 then was stunned when s fewvyearscago I measured myself at the gym and was 164. my knees were really bowed and now they are straight.
    • Posted

A bonus of this being taller thing is a lower BMI! I had started to feel like the typical little old lady when even my daughter, who has always been smaller than me, was looking down on me and i was as small as my Mum. Things are now back where they should be.
    • Posted

A bonus of this being taller thing is a lower BMI! I had started to feel like the typical little old lady when even my daughter, who has always been smaller than me, was looking down on me and i was as small as my Mum. Things are now back where they should be.
  • Posted

Thats soo encouraging Carol, I am post 4 weeks and it feels like I am trailing behind everyone else being as I am still using a crutch,saw the physio yesterday and she took away the crutch I was using and gave me a stick but I felt really wobbly on it and I still had one crutch at home smile so I am using it but trying to alternate. Well done you, I hope I can get to where you are now in the same time,carry on walking girl.

• Posted

Tracy at 4 weeks I was still using sticks. My physios told me two or none. One causes a limp. I think I was three weeks when I changed to sticks. The difference between 4 weeks and 9 weeks is massive. Each week is a little step forward and many back You only notice the improvement when you look back. 

• Posted

That's true 2 steps forward one back. I still use a stick when I am out or tired. Don't need it around home usually. In Aust we don't use crutches. We use a frdme for the first few days then 2 sticks then 1 stick. I had one physio tell me to use a stick when I go out for quite a few weeks, not because I need it but to warn 16 year olds with their ears plugged with adn iPod and deafened by music that I am a bit unsteady on my feet and to not bump into mesmile
    • Posted

I relate to that. i was in the supermarket yesterday when some youngsters nearly bumped into me and didn't even notice.I was annoyed at their thoughtlessness until I realised that I had no stick so didn't stand out as needing extra care. 
  • Posted

I was doing well at 8weeks, driving and given ok to go back to work off painkillers, now 15wks. Back on painkillers and using a stick as the pain is unbearable down the whole leg, it's swollen and hot, had xrays, knee cap really puffy, say everythung is  in correct place.  See my consultant again in 10days.saw gp last wk put on a/biotics and stringer painkillers as not sleeping well.
    • Posted

Oh no Linda, that is awful. Do you think you went back to early? My hospital say 3 months for returning to work. I know that is in an ideal world though and people have to get back. I'm glad I don't have to do anything I don't want to since being retired. Never thought I'd see the benefit of being older.lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.