Answers - or NON-answers - at One Year Checkup, Also PT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Here are son's takes on the new orthopedic surgeon (he moved from the midwest to the west coast). 

- He's old

- He's ready to retire, so he gives odd answers

(almost as if he didn't care)

So for the long list of questions - here they are:

- Do I have any restrictions about lifting objects? 

- Are there any restrictions that are permanent, and if so....why?

- Can I sit on the floor cross-legged if it doesn't hurt?

- Am I allowed to do squatting exercises?

- I still have swelling? Is that a concern? What should I do about it?

- What signs or symptoms should worry me if they occur?

- When should I return for my next follow-up?

He didn't have answers.

Now THERE'S a doctor you don't need to see again!

Here's the ONE interesting thing. They did an x-ray and the right leg is 6mm longer than the left. The surgeon in the midwest said they're the same.

In other news, he saw a new physical therapist who says his underlying musculature on the right (9 mos post-surgery) is only 60% of that of the left. The sports medicine doctor he saw said it was his hip flexors which were weak. Now he has some exercises, so can get into a routine and make some progress!

Thanks all, hope you are doing well in your hip journeys. 

BTW, I tripped & fell, sprained my shoulder, so now I am on my own journey!

Aloha, Soos

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear, it sounds as though the doctor wasn't a lot of use, but I'm really glad that he has some new exercises, and I hope they help him.

Sorry about your shoulder, what a complete nuisance. Hope you recover soon from that. All the best, Judith

• Posted

Aloha Soos, 

Well, ortho-surgeons are not talkative to begin with and certainly not after the surgery has been done, went well and is a one year follow up visit --- did he at least check range of mobility and was an x-ray taken ...

He is still young (son) and there shouldn't be any restrictions - maybe not yet as there is still some healing going on --- I was told to not do certain sports that involves pounding on ground (running), major twisting , anything that would speed up wear and tear ... but hey, I am old, so no problem there ..

Also been told to be cautious when turning leg inward, as this movement is challenging for new hip joint ... (like pulling chicken leg from chicken) 

6 mm leg difference is nothing, Soos ... our legs are never same length, so 6 mm is close to perfect ... 

swelling; depends - as long as it is not red or swollen or very painful - I still have tenderness and swelling around hip joint ... 

I just found out the same thing - Hip flexors are sooooo weak and tight/short ... duh !!! hence the groin pains and discomfort ... I also have been given some hip flexor exercises - phew --  challenging and painful  - I just wish she had told me sooner -

Please take care of your self Soos ... you are really number ONE ... The Universe always tells you something ... I think it is warning you to slow down and watch where you are going rolleyes -

big warm hug

always

renee

• Posted

Hello Renee,

I'm new here, due to have TRHR May 15th (anterior approach) but I've been reading this forum for several months now to see what I'm getting myself into! You mentioned that you still have tenderness and swelling around the hip joint as well as groin pain. I was wondering when you had your THR? How long is the swelling, tenderness and groin pain supposed to last?? Yikes, I keep going back and forth with myself, asking myself if I really need to do this, especially when I have "good" days, But I know it will never get better, so better to just get it over with.

Thank you Renee ~ I enjoy your posts.

Betty

• Posted

hi betty, 

so sorry I sort of freaked you out ... it was not my intention - we all heal at a different rate and  with me it takes more time - I had my THR's a long time ago, 18 months - 

One thing you need to know is that once you had the surgery, the bone-on-bone is gone ... with anterior aproach no muscles and tendons will be cut and apparently there are a lot less restrictions to deal with as oppsoed to posterior approach ...

the "good" days will get less and less, darling ... 

maybe you want to start your own discussion (see green block) and share your story with us ... your concerns or any questions you might have - 

all is well

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Renee,

No, you did not "freak me out". It was the post from Gale, I believe, that had the anterior approach and was having so many problems. Since I'm having that approach in the coming weeks, I think I'm just overly nervous and starting to have doubts as to whether I'm doing the right thing.

In the end, I know I am doing the right thing, even if I do have "good" days, because I know it will never get better.

You are such a sweet lady and I enjoy yours and everyone else's posts. I will be one of you before long and will share my experiences along with the rest of you smile

Warm hug to you as well, Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty

Anterior approach seems to be the most popular approach and that is what I had. We all have niggles and some post pain buts it's nothing compared to the hip pain before the op. Don't be put off it will only get worse. Last week I went away for Easter. Did lots of walking but with my stick to be sensible and even made the hill back to the hotel which I couldn't have done last year. It is a big op and recovery varies from person to person some faster than others.

Try not to worry too much and there is light at the end of the tunnel

Take care julie

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your encouraging reply! I agree that I should not put this op off, as it will only get worse, however what keeps giving me doubts is the fact that I'm not really suffering from pain. My main reasons are the inability to walk effortlessly, like I used to. I walk with a limp and I feel a "pull or tugging" when I walk and feel exhausted almost immediately. I also have much difficulty leaning over to put shoes and socks on, so those two things are what has motivated me to get this done.

The fact my x-rays show severe arthritis and bone on bone, I know having this op is the right thing to do now while I'm "fairly" young (will be 70 on June 16) and healthy.

I just look forward to being able to walk without effort and tiring so easily, as walking is really the only form of exercise I get.

Your words are encouraging and I look forward to communicating more with you over the months after my op.

Good for you doing lots of walking over Easter and I hope you continue to have a good recovery!

Betty

• Posted

Betty

I was exactly the same as you. I am 58 and was at the same point as you a year ago. Within 12 months I deteriorated significantly getting in and out of the car hurt. I squealed with the stabbing pain in my groin and my lower back had started with a tugging pain. I didn't use a stick but couldn't walk round the shopping centre without sitting every so often. Then I couldn't swim properly. My limp got worse and for the first time people noticed! You don't have to be on morphine or be housebound to be ready. Quality of life is so important. Don't feel guilty everyone's pain threshold is different.

Keep in touch

Julie

• Posted

Wow, OK then, this reinforces my decision smile

I'm sure if I put the op off, a year (or less) from now I would be furious with myself!

Thanks Julie for sharing your experience!

Betty

• Posted

Thank you, Renee. Son told me the other ortho is the popular one who's hard to get an appointment with! Guess this one is on his last leg. LOL. Son says he'd guessed the leg was shorter because the jeans cuffs don't match. sigh.

Oh, best to you on getting your hip flexors sorted out!

Big hugs to you, Renee.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

cheesygrin  that is funny, Soos ... your son might be right -- who am I, right?  I just don't want YOU to worry too much ... you have been there and will be for him there again when he is moving ... 

No heavy lifting okay ???   get some people (I once used Starving Students to help me move - lot less $$$ than but do not give them anything fragile) -

You are a wonderful soul

aloha

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Soos

It's amazing the feedback you get from different surgeons. My original one said I had no arthritis in the hip and didn't know what the pain was or how to help me. After going backwards and forwards I asked for a second opinion. This surgeon said there was clearly arthritis on my X-ray when I asked why his colleague had said there wasn't any he answered it was different interpretation! I am now 4 months post op and pain free apart from post op recovery.

Hope your shoulder gets sorted!

Greetings from 🇬🇧 UK

Julie

• Posted

You are so kind, Julie!

Yes, you know your own body best, and MUST get a second opinion if not satisfied. We gently harassed the ortho to get the second hip done because we knew from MRI it was going the way of the first. 

I'm so glad you are recovering well.

I'm seeing a physical therapist tomorrow to get some exercises so I can lift my own luggage when I go back to see my son in a couple of weeks.

Best to you, Julie!

Aloha, Soos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.