Anterior and posterior repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everybody. I'm 31 and have two children under 5. 8 days ago I had a anterior and prosterior repair. As you can imagine with two small daughters I am struggling to rest and relax. My partner goes back to work tomorrow and just my luck...its the school holidays for 6 weeks now.

I am still bleeding (some days heavier than others). This morning I woke and and my pad was soaked, I'm assuming this may be urine from bladder??

Is this normal?

My symptoms were prolapsed bulge in my vagina and I struggled to empty my bowels in one sitting (excuse the pun). Also everything felt heavy. When I had my period everything felt like at any moment I'd fall out of myself.

So far after the op I feel ok I suppose.

I just wondered if anybody could give me the low down on what to expect over the next few weeks and and tips?

I am also on 14 days of enaxoparin syringes into my tummy... I hate needles and have btw so I'm proud I've managed to do it myself ( freeze the area with an ice cube first then jab quick) 😂😂

I look forward to any replies...i feel so lonely at the moment. All my friends don't even know what I've had done or understand. Hence...no1 has even said 'hope your ok or get well soon'... lovely!

Faye xx

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Faye

I'm 35 and had posterior repair 7 weeks ago, I too have kids off school and it's hard work!

You certainly aren't on your own!

You will see a huge improvement around 6 weeks so keep your chin up!!

Please don't over do things - it definitely takes a lot longer than the recommended 6 weeks to recover-but each week gets easier!

I unfortunately got a chest infection at 5 weeks that put me back a week or so but I deffo feel a lot better although I have good days where I can walk around fine, and other days where I feel completely swollen and broken ! But the bad days are getting fewer !

If you can try and get help from family or friends for as long a stay you can xx

• Posted

Thankyou happynoon.

I certainly think they underplay how big this op is and how much it effects you. I thought I'd bounce straight back but it's only a week I guess.

I'm still bleeding and every time I go for a no2 it starts bleeding again from where my stitches are...im guessing.

• Posted

Hi Faye. I haven't had surgery yet but maybe soon so was interested in your post and connecting with others going through this. I hope you can manage to ask for some help while you are recovering as you have young children.

My posterior prolapse has happened due to there being some weakness from birth 6 years ago but I put on weight and overdid it at gym and something just went.

When you felt heavy pre op, did you find it hard to walk? I'm hobbling around like an old woman and feel pressure in my front, perinieum and rectum. Was your heaviness similar? Apparently I have a mild rectocele but I'm uncomfortable all the time and have been offered surgery.

• Posted

Hey Rosa.

This whole operation is a taboo subject. Not much information on the internet.

I felt like something was stuck between my legs when I walked. When going for a no2 I never felt finished so had to push on the wall between front and back to finish properly. I found I got infections easily also.

After op I feel bloated and like I have constant period pain. It's not nice. But I hear it's normal.

So glad your getting it done smile

• Posted

Oh gosh - hope you're not lifting anything more than enough water in kettle to make a cuppa, including weight of kettle. Go to Genito-urinary home page and click on South Seas link and it's all spelt out there of what you can't do and what to expect. How do school hols affect under 5's? They not a school yet? This is major surgery and because there's no operation as such to observe, then others just do not get how major it is. Your rectocoele has to have been more than just "mild" surely, to be having to self assist with evacuating. Your not sposed to even be lifting wet laundry, or doing anything other than light housework only further down the track. Not bending to pick up from floor etc. How can you look after 2 wee ones? What did your Urogynaecologist instruct you with for post-op and the hospital? Did they all not realise you would be fully caring for 2 littlies?

• Posted

Hey Robyn. Kids don't start nursery till they are 4 here. And my youngest isn't even 2 yet. They are off school for 6 weeks. Yay for me.

I have tried not to do anything. Most iv done is pick my daughter up when she fell over onto the solid floor (it would be inhuman to leave her crying on the floor).

Otherwise I've been horizontal in bed.

Unfortunately this morning my partner had to return to work. And just my luck, I started flooding with blood, fresh bright blood. Filled 3 tena pads within an hour. I have been up to the hospital and the surgeon or gyno wasn't there so I have to go back on Thursday and the on call doctor has put me on anti biotics. And I've been told to stop my blood thinning jabs they told me to have for 14 days. I've had to send my 5 year old off to my sister's so I just have the 1 to take care of now for 2 days. My mom's here for now but she can't take anymore time off work sad

• Posted

Hi Faye. First off you're not alone on here. Always someone to compare symptoms/feelings etc with. I had a full hysterectomy, A & P repair and TVT all together in april'16. I was advised by my consultant that it was a 3 month recovery for the prolapse repairs alone. So I had it in my head that it was a long haul recovery. I started just doing small walks daily. First around the house then outside. Listen to your body. It will tell you if doing too much. Mine did. My bleeding eased by about 5-6wks. Things will feel tight too. This is normal.

I was lucky not to have small children. My daughter was 15 and a huge help as was my hubby who took 2 weeks off at beginning. But if you can get help. Any help. Take it!! Tell your friends what you've had done. Don't be embarrassed. Hopefully they can help support you with kids.

Take pain relief if needed. Don't suffer. This will help with recovery. Also are you on anything for your bowels? If not you should see your dr about a stool softener to avoid causing harm to stitches. And to relive your discomfort of trying to go.

I worked in a school and didn't go back to work until sept. I had hoped to get back a couple of weeks before summer but wasn't ready. But even now I'm still having discomfort with any exercise I do and certain aspects of my job. But still under consultant being investigated.

I wish you luck in your recovery but like Robyn said you mustn't lift as it will undo your surgeons work and won't want to go through this again.

If you want to ask me anything please do. I may not always have the answer but just chatting can help with mental and emotional side of things.

Take care

Fiona. X

• Posted

Thanks Fiona. That's very kind. I have responded to Robyn post...explainjng I have been back to hospital today as I am bleeding heavy. sad

• Posted

Oh wow. If you continue to bleed heavy like that I'd get in touch with your own gp or go to A&E. just to get checked out. Thurs sounds a long time away when bleeding heavily. X

• Posted

Hopefully the bleeding didn't start after picking up child. Haven't you got a child's chair around that you can sit down to her level when needed, & avoid picking her up. Also you need to teach her NOW to climb up to you when seated, and slide back down to leave your lap. It's not a combination of lots of lifting over time that will cause damage, it can be just ONE lift. She will catch on fast that you're just not going to rush to her and pick her up. It's all about "you" right now. Hopefully you're having plenty of walks around house, like every hour. It's important to be gently mobile lots. Have you read the South Seas advice pinned to Genitourinary page here?

• Posted

It's "South Tees" advice Faye needs under Genitourinary Prolapse at top of this page, not "South Seas"! Click on Genitourinary Prolapse and look for pinned posts.  Lots of help and info there to look at. I agree with Robyn about lifting your child however. It's a no no for at least six weeks and probably longer. Take care of yourself first Faye. Pollyanna UK x rolleyes

• Posted

She does get up and down herself. Ahes very independent tbh, unfortunately though she breathe holds so she can go unconscious so it's my first priority and natural instinct to grab her should this be the case. The bleeding didn't happen after this thankfully. I think it was just a case of being horizontal for a week and then standing for 10 mins. It has subsided today... back to pink spotting hooray. My husband has bought the kettle and tea bags and food into my bedroom while he has to work. Haha. I've been put on lock down in my room haha.

Just taking antibiotics as the doctor thought it may be a secondary infection and as many know...antibiotics=thrush! Great!

• Posted

Oh no you've got a real challenge ahead. Thankfully bleeding subsiding. Don't forget to go for walks around the house hourly though as this also prevents numerous post-op problems. I so wouldn't expect anybody to be in bed still by this stage.

• Posted

Hi Faye 

I can't help with how to deal with however I hope you feel better soon. I have to have the op soon when the kids are back at school so hoping for some advise. 

My husband works away most of the week and I don't have much family here. I know you can't drive after the op so will have to walk the children to school about a mile away. How was everyone in the first couple of weeks?? Is a15-20 min walk ok or is it total bed rest?? Not really sure how I'm going to manage school runs - unless i rent a mobility scooter smile 

Thanks 

Margo

• Posted

Oh good god know - NOT bedrest! Is any operation this day and age. It's very important to keep moving around, even if its walks around the house every hour. The reason you can't drive to begin is cause you probably couldn't slam the foot brake if needing to for an emergency stop. 20mins walk to school is too much in first couple of weeks. You need to slowly build up to that. 

• Posted

Hi

Thanks. I have been reading up and the first couple of weeks are worst then?! 

I think my mum will come down first week hopefully! then it's the mobility scooter ha ha!! 

Margo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.