Anterior repair & uretha buttress

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm 6 weeks post op and mainly feel ok, only if I overdo it do I feel slight discomfort but otherwise as far as the prolapse goes I'm good. My problem is my bladder is worse now than before the op, I have a overactive bladder and if I drink then within the hour I'm on the loo, and if I think ill try to wait longer say 10 minutes by the time I've got to the toilet I've leaked in my pad. I'm doing pelvic floor but obviously it will be a while before I see improvement here After the op I had to self cathetate for a few weeks and ended up with a uti which has now gone. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same op and can give any advise as to how long before it improves ? Thank you 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem...peeing on the way to the loo.  Didn't self catheterize.  Less leakage after 8 weeks.  At 10 weeks, almost never. Urgency gone. Heal fast.  Don't overdo. Hope you do well.  Dorothy

• Posted

Thank you Dorothy that gives me some encouragement 😊
  • Posted

I already had strong pelvic muscles. I'd recommend doing levels. It'll help building up the muscles again. There's also a medicine that helps lessen the urge to urinatate as often until you rebuild those strong pelvis muscles. Good luck.

• Posted

I have tried different types of tablets before my op which didn't help, I'm sorry a bit daft what are levels ? And thank you for replying ??

• Posted

I didn't mean levels autocorrect just put that I meant kegels. The pelvic floor muscle exercise. I do them all the time. Strengthens your core pelvis and bladder muscles tremendously!!

• Posted

judy you are only 6 weeks post op so take things easy and try not to overdo things, your body is telling you to slow down when you feel any discomfort. You'll still have some swelling which is why you're probably leaking so keep doing your pelvic floor exercises and when the swelling reduces you should see some improvement.

• Posted

Thank you Matron im probably just impatient, I've been signed off another month by my Dr so hopefully will start improving soon ?? I am a post lady so have to do a lot of lifting and carrying within my job and 4 hours walking a day ( will have to keep going to shops to the toilet )so just hope I can do job without causing any more problems as my physio said I shouldn't be lifting anything too heavy again,but this is impossible in my job and love my job and don't want to lose it .

• Posted

I'm pleased you're off for another month but you may need some more time after that in view of your job. I've seen how hard our postman works so don't undo your consultant's good work and put yourself first for a change. Relax and enjoy the summer (if we get any) x

• Posted

Thank you Matron I will try too 😊
  • Posted

Hi Judy sounds like my experience I had an anterior repair and like you had to self catheter at first then bladder started working and I leak when moving.  I'm off to see surgeon today was told that sometimes the prolapse forms a plug and when they put it back into position this is the result.  I have  been referred to physio but they won't do much till my surgeon has examined me.  Like you are trying to do kegels physio said there was some movement but not a lot so am trying to strengthen them myself. Some days feels like a lost cause. Will let you know what surgeon says 

• Posted

Ahh thank you Maisie yes please let me know what happens 😊 I am going back to my physio on a one to one to see if they can help more so will let you know too 😊 Did you have your bladder stitched too  (uretha buttress)as this is what I had along with the anterior repair to hopefully help with my overactive bladder ? At the moment it feels worse than before but as matron said its only 6 weeks and still some swelling so hopefully will improve 😊
    • Posted

Hi Judy no I had the urethra straightened? whatever that means.  Spoke to surgeon who said that this is quite common after the anterior repair.  She examined the repair said it was healing nicely and was well supported which is good news. Next step is to go back to physio with the go ahead of the surgeon to go full steam ahead to strengthen the muscles also mentioned a urodynamic test to see what is actually wrong with bladder.  If all else fails then she said they will look at a procedure to fix it so all positive just need to wait and see.  I know it's not serious but it can get you down at this moment there is no way I could go face to work leaking all the time. Am due to go back end of August here's hoping it's fixed by then. Best wishes with your recovery keep in touch it's nice to gave someone in the same boat and compare recovery x 

• Posted

Hi Maisie yes it is nice to have someone to talk about our similar problems ?? I have had the urodynamic test and it came back I have a overactive bladder I have tried 3 different types of tablets which didn't work hence why I had the stitching in my bladder along with my anterior repair, today I have had a good day I went into town for over 3 hours and didn't use the toilet until I got home ?? Which is amazing for me so hoping like matron said its probably because the swelling still has to go down ?? Hopefully this will continue?? Good luck with everything and will chat again soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.