Anti Depressants for Peri?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I, like you all need a little help & support - I'm a mess with this peri-meno stuff & I have an appointment to see my GP today - I feel like I need anti-depressants - but is this the answer? Will they help? Appreciate any advice or words of wisdom.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hiya it depends what is causing your problem.

But generally keeping yourself active, and eating well does help a great deal. 

But if your iron is low you can have iron supplements, but personally I prefer the healthy option, of staying active as much as you can.

And eating well. But obviously sometimes medication does help to eliviate the problem too.

They can do a thyroid check, see if your thyroid levels have gone low. That can make you feel restless. Have a look at natural products you can eat. I find seeds are good, they also detoxify your body.clean you out. 

Eat plenty of foods with iron and vitamins. It all helps your well being. 😊

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I am already being treated for underactive thyroid (for 10 years), just to add to my woes! Appreciate the advice will defo look into. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Bev...I know this process is so hard at times...I too have been tempted to get on anti depressants..What seems to work for me is all of this we are going through is normal, it is a normal women mind/body process not only do we feel our bodies are going through changes but so our -our lives...at this  point in life some of us swtich careers, jobs, homes, children growing up...parents aging it is a transition that causes you to think alot about the what is  next kind of thing..sorry if I am getting "deep"...lol but once you realize what it is and that it is very normal and this website is so helpful because you get that reassurance that we are all going through this...there is the other end..there is that place that we will get to that we can finally say...ahhh okay it's all good. Mine seem to get worse after my mom died three years ago, I had that sudden grief then I chose to enroll in Nursing school...my first son went off to college ...lots of changes...lots of transitions..so it sent me in a spin.  Good luck and hope I wasn't too wordy..... diet is important too, there are sooooo many hormones and crap in our foods that it messes with our own hormonal system too.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, makes sense what you are saying, sadly my Mum died 9months ago, my daughter is heading off for uni in Sept & I started a new job 3 months ago - so your thoughts and words are a good reminder to look at these things, as they must indeed play a part. I didn't expect menopause to be easy, but am surprised by how hard it seems! Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Bev I am 49 and have been going through peri for just over a year. I thought I had it all under control eating well, taking vitamins, exercising, yoga and meditation in fact I'm ashamed to say I was probably alittle smug about it. THEN one morning 8 weeks ago I woke up and my world just crumbled around me , I had severe anxiety attacks I kept crying and really couldn't function at all. I needed help so I went to my doc who put me on anti-depressants with some sedation for two weeks and some sleeping tablets. I am feeling so much better and can even get myself to work which is a hugh achievement. What I am saying is I get what you are going through and if you need a little help to get through this patch take it.  I have learn't so much over the past few weeks and I now look at older women with a whole new respect. You will be ok and you are not on this journey alone.
    • Posted

Hi Diane, that is exactly how I feel & it is horrible! Sorry to hear you are suffering/have suffered like that too - nobody should have to! Saw Doc last night & my blood pressure was sky high (not surprised!) it is usually fine, she has given me the choice of anit depressants or HRT, so I'm looking at both & trying to decide. Doc sending me for pelvic scan just to rule anything out & check blood pressuree over next couple of weeks before any treatment can start, so hopefully a few more weeks & things will significantly improve. I feel better just due the level of support provided through this forum & also the relief of speaking to my Doc & her telling me I'm not mad! So I feel I can go a few weeks without a padded cell - well I hope so! Hope you are feeling much better now Diane & I wish you well too. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi,  Been there and bought the T Shirt.  I was so bad I ended up on Citalapram anti-depressants for 2 years.  In their defence they really helped me to calm down, and proved to be a very helpful tool to help me combat my peri menopause.  Eventually I was able to have the confidence to wean off them when my hormones settled some.  I had a total hysterectomy for other reasons and had to have HRT for 9 months too.  I didn't want it but I realised that I had to be kind to my body which had been through a traumatic experience.  By replacing some of the hormones that had been removed from my body I managed to scrape through the menopause relatively unscathed with my marriage in tact.  Good luck
  • Posted

Before anti-depressants, or HRT,

1. Try reading 'Grumpy Old Menopause' by Carol Wyer, it will make you laugh.

2. Take multivitamins designed for menopause (Menopace or Supermarket/Boots equivalent), they will balance all the vitamins and minerals which are going haywire due to the menopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.