Anti depressants for us Dizzy ladies

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all,

I really need need help with this dizzy, off balance sensation that I have. It is taking over my life and I am risking losing my job

Everyone tells me its anxiety, in my heart I find this hard to believe. 

I have other symptoms which include headaches, nausea, heavy periods that are closer together and periods of feeling really ill and fatigued.

All bloods are fine, ferritin was low but now resolved.

Do I give in and just take the damm anti depressants? Maybe they won't cure the symptoms but will they stop me worrying so much about them? 

Thanks ladies 

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Louise, I tested the anxiety theory for my vertigo issues.  From June-sept.  On Lexapro.  Made mine worse and weird head all the time.  Surely, it made me not care...but the feelings were there.  I am having an ok time so far with amitripyline.  Driving more often and my head feels clearer than when on Lexapro.  Have you gone off that?  I believe like me, you are on that for migraines.  If you utilize amitripyline for anxiety the dose would be huge.  But, most drs just prescribe something else more effective and at a lower dose.

I cannot tell you if our vertigo sensations are equal.  Mine are all the time, positional, with or without migraine. If I have a  Migraine I am a real mess.  I can just be walking around my house and the weird pulling sensations happen. Spatial problems.  Boat like feeling.  Anxiety, stress is a trigger for me.  So, if I am having vertigo out in public, I will stress out.  

I would try the AD.  If you truly have anxiety, an AD will help...so I was told...if not ...it is not anxiety.  I do not know which AD you were given, but just expect real crappy side effects.  Unless they are life threatening...stick it out...that’s all you can do!

I am sticking with my vestibular migraine brought on by hormone imbalance theory.  Just need confirmation next month.  Although, the treatment is pretty much the path I have already started.  I want to make sure it is not an in er ear virus...vestibular neuritis.  Have you been checked thoroughly?  Any dizzy clinics were you are?  VNG testing, that sort of thing...Sorry this is affecting your job, its awful... I know, December will be a year out of work for me.  I am hopeful though...by spring I will be back in business.  😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

We sound identical. I did nearly stop the amitriptyline last week. Had a really bad migraine 10 days ago and head has never cleared since. I do have pain in my neck so have booked in for some accunputure to help relieve it. The amitriptyline seems to stop most of the bad headaches but I still have a dull head most of the time. 

I am now also hoping to start the combination pill to regulate these hormones. 

Let’s hope by spring we are both over this xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sounds as if you are being proactive. I would give the combo pill a try in lieu of the other AD. Too many different pills and you may not know what is working! I get the neck pain too...more tender pain when a migraine hits.  That dull, spacey head pressure thing... I got worse while on Lexapro.  I am on 10 mg only of amitripyline...apparently I can raise it by 5 mg per week...if I want.  What if you go up a little?  I know those pills are tiny...but my pill slicer does the trick!  Another thing with the AD is the side effects are not fun. ...So far, on amitripyline... I really have had no start up effects...on week 3.  I am a nightmare with starting new meds too...as this was my second go with it.

I also need to start the combo pill, but my period is playing hide and seek right now.  Dr wants me to give it 2 more weeks.  I will definitely keep you and the rest of us dizzy girls updated.  Here’s to new beginnings in the Spring...I’m cheering for you! 🙏🤗

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Louise, just checking to see how you are doing! Are you still on the amitriptyline? I am still on 10 mg. Did you ever start the combo BCP? I did...on my 3rd week now. Had a few ok days last week. Horrible migraine 3 days ago. Terrible off balanced yesterday and today. Getting so sick of this! Going to balance doc in 2 weeks. Anyways, I hope you are seeing some good results 😃

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm right there with you...but I don't think I would ever take an antidepressant. They have too many hideous side effects of their own which may very well just and to your problem.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good morning Louise,

I know exactly what you are experiencing. To me it feels like I’ve had one too many drinks. Also have some anxiety issues. It unfortunately seems that these among a crap ton of other symptoms are all a part of peri/menopause symptoms. I don’t understand why some of us have a plethora of symptoms whilst others have smooth sailing. The doctors always offer anti anxiety as well as antidepressant drugs to me, but there is no way I’m gonna let that happen. I definitely don’t want to add to the list of problems with all side effects of those drugs. I do however take a lorazepam on occasion when the anxiety is out of control or if I’m feeling super off as it seems to bring me back to normal and I don’t have to take it every day. I also started doing quantum therapy which had helped a lot. Just know that you are not alone with this. I am a RN and sometimes feel like going out on leave, but honestly, I don’t know if being off of work would just make things worse as sitting around the house dwelling on the horrible symptoms could cause a bigger mental problem. At least at work I can be distracted from my own problems. Well good luck and grace and peace be with you and the rest of us who are going in this roller coaster ride of life.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi louise, I'm not sure how a ad would help with your off balanced feeling since it is not for that. sometimes I think drs just prescribe them for everything. I had this for several months and it became my normal so I learned to adapt. it has gone away now for the most part and now only have it rarely. my point is that it, like so many other symptoms will go away on its own. I can say that anxiety will make it worse. AD's are a personal choice as is every other treatment out there. good luck and you are not alone!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Louise - Unfortunately every single thing I read on this is....IT IS ALL HORMONE RELATED.

And the options we have for plummeting and erratic hormones:

1) ride the nightmare wave without intervention (which to me means over the counter natural treatments like I am trying - good luck to me (oh yeah; eat right, exercise, meditate - yada yada - NONE of this will change reality: my hormones are crashing!). 

2) get on an oral contraceptive if your doctor allows based on your current period cycle  to get your hormones back to steady 

3) Take a bio-identical hormone treatment

4) Take synthetic hormone treatment

5) Take anti-depressants 

It is SO hard to know what to do. I don't think I will be able to go on much longer without either the birth control pill or Bio-identical hormones.

My symptoms are getting worse as the months go on; I have a new one each week. Do the old ones go away? Yes - some have come and gone and some were just there the first 2 months when my hormones took a deep dive. 

My doctor has been on the hormones from age 50 - she is 60 now. In addition to that, she did go on Prozac as well. At this point I am beginning to accept I am likely going to have to do something. The migraines that started for me for the very first time at 49 in June are tough and debilitating.

I'm so thankful for this place - I cannot even imagine how I would have gotten through these past months - this place and the women here are a Godsend. Take care, Louise!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Have you tried doing the epley maneuver for it? I have found that in most cases it takes mine away for at least a few months at a time. You can find videos on how to do it and it is quite simple to do yourself lying on your bed with a pillow under your shoulders. Wont hurt to try it
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had awful side effects on escitalopram that just wouldn’t subside and certainly didn’t help my anxiety...actually made it worse so I stopped after about 3 weeks..Debilitating nausea, fatigue, electric like zaps all over my body and my brain...so I’m going with it’s all perimenopause and I will do what I can to deal with it as best I can...staying hydrated, walking when I have the energy, tying to be social and not sit around and dwell on things helps a little..sometimes lol...other times I just need to nap, dwell on my aging hormones, complain and find someone on here to help me realize I’m ok, and this will pass. Thankful I found this amazing group! Women from all areas, countries, ages and stages of life can all relate in some way to the hell that is perimenopause! Sending hugs!😊

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up