Anti Depressants or Not?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was on anti depressants for over 20 years with mixed reaction.  Last year my doctor said to try doing without.  It took me 10 months to withdraw from Effexor so I did not get any withdrawal symptoms.  And that worked.  Just over a year on I am beginning to feel depressed again.  After all that effort to withdraw I am loathe to go back on medication.

Over the years I have tried stopping, but the depression always comes back.  I would like people's views on whether they manage without anti depressants, or think that we do need them?  

I am a retired lady and am also on the anxiety forum.  I get stressed about every silly little thing, although they do not seem small or silly to me.  

Medication or not?  I know this is really a personal choice.  Do people here feel better with or without anti depressants?

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm unsure too Anne.

Not a day goes by when I think of if I've made the right decision. Did I need anti depressants? Are they making matters worse? 

Its a hard choice and like you said,one that's different for each of us.

Some people do amazingly well without and I applaud them that can. Others feel that they are "stuck" and unable to get past a certain point without them.

They have helped me in the past,got me out of some pretty dark places. This time however I'm wondering if I jumped the gun and made a rod for my own back.

Im two days into a increase so not feeling all to positive at the minute. 

Regardless of each persons decision,we are all just trying to get to the same place in the best way we can xxx

• Posted

Hello Gillian.  I see you are adjusting to anti depressant medication.  You say you are not sure if you should be taking them or not.  I presume however that you felt you needed help and that medication might be the answer.

I know from experience that when we first take an anti depressant we often feel worse before we feel better.  You, like me, have taken them in the past.  Why do you think that this time you may have made the wrong decision?  

Please let me know how you get on.  I really, really hope the medication helps.  As yet, I am still feeling that I am coping, but I will go back to doctor if I feel I cannot cope.

Take care

• Posted

I think maybe I jumped the gun getting on them Anne.

I was waiting for test results and got into a huge mess and went straight to the docs..maybe he should of just given me diazepam for the few weeks I was waiting for the results,I'm not sure but he put me on citalopram which gradually made my anxiety even worse over the 8 weeks I was in them.

What I am trying to say is,if I'd of just managed the anxiety while waiting for the results..maybe when I got them I would of just felt relief and carried on with my life....unfortunately I was already 3 weeks into a nightmare of citalopram..which brought a whole load more anxiety and intrusive thoughts and alsorts.

I came off them and started mirtazapine which has also been a bumpy ride but half of this battle has been citalopram withdrawal.

Im sure it will all sort itself out. I just have to be patient with myself xx

• Posted

Hello gillian.  I do hope the test results were negative.  I know how anxious and stressed you must have been waiting for them, and that is perfectly understandble.  It is a huge stress.  At the time you were in a bad place, and understandable you went to the doctor for help.  I remember being on Prozac for a time which made me very ill with huge anxiety and the need to keep moving.  I had to stop in quickly.  some anti depressants suit us, and some dont. 

How are you on the mirtazapine?  Are you of the opinion that you wish you had not started on medication, or do you now feel you are glad you are taking them? 

Please let us know how you are doing.

Anne

• Posted

Yes all the results came back negative and had a few days floating in air and full of peace but the relief was short lived and I started having really terrible anxiety. Think it had been coming a long time and the needle prick injury was the tip of the iceberg.

I do feel however that maybe it was situational anxiety and I would of been ok within a few weeks..I'd already started on citalooram though. At first I just thought I was really anxious and people kept telling me to give them at least 8 week. It was 8 week of utter fear.

So yes I wish I hadn't been so quick to jump in the citalopram.

Im 6 weeks into mirtazapine and I get a increase in anxiety with each increase but then it seems to settle. I'm sleeping better and the majority if the time cope ok...Still having anxious thoughts and bad days. Not had no "normal" days yet where I feel totally ok but hopefully that will come xx

• Posted

Hi Anne ~

Like you, I've tried to kick this w/o meds only to find myself just as depressed or worse.  I've come to the conclusion that I feel much better while on the anti depressive meds so it's kind of a life thing for me.

If  you're feeling that depression coming back, why not just get back on the medications if they helped.  If they didn't help, that's another story.  Perhaps like myself, I have been on zoloft and wellbutrin together and that combination works for me.

The meds I'm on is helping me with my anxiety.  Along with a thread I've started on RELAX ~ anyone have any good suggestions on how to relax?  It's become a good discussion, perhaps you can join in with all the knowledge you have with anxiety?  I'll check your other discussion out in the anxiety forum.  We need to stick together and help one another!

Good luck and I wish you well and to feel better soon!

Frustrated

• Posted

Thank you very much.  I am coping at the moment, but if I do feel I need to go back on medication I will not hesitate to see a doctor.

Take care

Anne

• Posted

Hello IU started this duiscussion.  I just want to say I am feeling a lot better at the moment.  I have always taken multivatimins and minerals, Omega3, Vitamin B complex and as someone suggested recently take Vitamin D3.  I also started taking Kalms, and I honestly think it is having an effect.  I am now taking double dose of Omega 3 and Vitamin D£, and I feel a lot brighter.  I am taking the calms 3 times each day, and if I cannot sleep for a few nights am taking a herbal remedy called Quiet Nights.  May be the placebo effect, but all I can say I am feeling OK.  Wow!!!
  • Posted

hi anne, I noticed you say you had loose skin after losing the weight after coming off effexor. how much weight did you lose? I have been off effexor a few months now, was only on it three months or so, and only gained a few pounds, but the thing is, my skin became VERY loose seemingly without reason, and my gut also 'spilled out' with a kind of abnormal distention. my thoughts are that this antidepressant can cause some kind of hyperelasticity
    • Posted

I never put it down to the anti depressant.  I gained 3 stone over 9 years on Venlafaxine.  I lost that 3 stone within months of stopping it.  As I am old that is the reason my skin did not go back, as has lost its elasticity.  I cover it up!!!
  • Posted

Why come off them in the first place? They have no long term side effects as far as I know. If they make you feel better, why not take them?

Ive been on Peroxetine for 18 years and every time I try to come off them I just end up depressed again. Ive resigned to the fact that I might as well just stay on them.

If you are in pain, you take painkillers, if you cant see, you wear glasses, if you cant hear, you wear hearing aids, if you're diabetic, youneed insulin and if youre depressed, you need anti depressants. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.