Anti Reflux and HH repair surgery next week

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all ,

Its nearly here , my op is on Wednesday 8th June , Im still a bit nervous about it , but reading all the posts on this forum over the past year it has eased my worries a tiny tad ...

My symptoms I would say are livable with but in the long term I am PPI dependant , at the moment Esomeprazole 40mg Ranitadine when required which is most days and Gaviscon .

My symtoms include,

Phlegm 24/7

Sneezing most days

Runny nose

Itchy ears 

Slight chest pain

Nausea if I eat a little too much , most days

Bloated burping and flatulance

Burning sensation in my belly and when stressed burning in my throat

Horrible smell in my nose all the time

Some foods tasteless

I can feel nautiuos one minute then shaking with hunger next

I dont know if this is so but Im putting my lack of wanting to be intamit with my partner down on my symtoms list too whether due to feeling yuck most of the time or due to effects of long term on PPI , I have been taking PPI for about 15 years .

I still get all these symptoms while on the meds so I guess they are not 100% helping my Reflux .

I am 46 years old , Not overweight , Dont smoke , Drink a little .

I have had symtoms since I was a child , when I was a baby I would burp after my bottle feed and bring it all back up , then as i got a bit older I rember sitting up most nights believing I was going to vomit , i never did , into teenage and 20's I discovered Bicarbonated Soda , I used to make up a bottle of it every day and drink it thro the day mostly at night in bed.

Then about 15 years ago I got some chest pain and went to GP , they prescribed PPI , I tried Pantaprazole , Lantaprazole then Omeaprazole which I was on about 10 years , I had and endoscopy about 10 years ago which saw the sphinctor not closing properly and gastritus with tiny ulcers , last year I got fed up taking Omeprazole and went to GP , I asked for Nexium she said they were expensive so at the same time we discussed surgery , I got both Nexium on perscription and referral for surgery , The Nexium does work a little better than the Omeprazole but I still have symtoms .

I had to have endoscopy again which now has found the Hiatus Hernia as well as reflux , I also had 24hr PH test and Manomertry tests , which the hospital ( Royal Berkshire Reading) insist on having before considering surgery . All tests came back conclusive that I am a good candidate for the repair surgery , which happens wednesday next week ...

I will of course keep this forum up to date with proceedings after my op .

Regards to all and thank you everyone who has posted on here and helped me with my decision to have the op .

Margaret.

1 like, 128 replies

128 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello! Thank you for posting this, I'm only 21 and currently have symptoms so bad I struggle with every day life, I am due a 24 hour ph test in September, would love to hear your experience with it?

Please keep us informed about how your surgery goes, I would love to hear as I am a potential candidate. Hope all goes well!

• Posted

Hi Abbie

The 24 ph test isn't pleasant when the tube is going in but once it's in its fine, worst bit of it you can't take any acid relief meds or anything that will ease it like milk etc. Bit of a pain remembering to press the button when you feel symptoms.. September is a long way off for you. I did find this forum very helpful.

Good luck with everything..

• Posted

Hope all goes well with your op. I am due to get a date for mine soon but it will be after my holiday so have a couple of months to wait yet.
  • Posted

Mag my advise to you is dont rush the food, follow your own heart.  You will know trust me.  In the beginning its clear liquids 4 ozs the first week.  Eating about every 1 1/2 hrs.....then progress to nutritious smoothies when ready, that was quite awhile for me.  Dont rush things and eat frequently and small amounts.  When its time for soft mushy foods eat slow and small amounts,  I am now 3 months post op it was not easy but it all comes together in time....I dont ever regret having this nightmare over with.  Having suffered with severe chest pain, coughing is gone entirely...mucous gone, and losing my voice gone.  I am sleeping normally, no more sitting upright position with our adjustable bed.  This does not happen over night be patient, it will test your patience believe me.  You will love the outcome in the end...Good Luck and God Bless  Liz
    • Posted

Hi Liz, It is great to hear that your op went well. I have been suffering with this for 8 years now and have opted for the surgery due to my constant coughing. I hope it works for me when I finally have the op in a couple of months. Lx
    • Posted

Hi Liz,

Thank you for that. Sleeping is very annoying as I have a bad back and should be laying flat but then reflux kicks in.. I've been shopping today and have bought little pots to put little portions of sloppy food in so I've got a few made up, also some Readybrek which is smooth porridge and a weetabix breakfast drink to try, horlicks and decaf tea. I've managed to get ibuprofen melts and dispersible paracetamol for pain. And I'm hoping I can get some anti sickness meds from the hospital.

Margaret

• Posted

Meg I  was sent home from hospital with pain killer, never needed one not even tylenol. No pain, it was the drinking in the beginning was difficult even water....dont use straws at all, nothing carbonated like soda.  Water was the best going dow, cranberry juice, apple juice....i bought boost, and ensure as a carry along in my purse when we were out and i needed something as u will not know when hunger strikes....the growling in the stomach.....yogurt, applesauce are good.  Also Miralx for the bowels those were hard ggetting going again regularly.....Put it in your juice daily til you start on your own.  My husband after the first two weeks made smoothies out of cooked ground chicken, potato, white or sweet and carrot cooked....he blended it in out ninja or blender with chicken broth to smooth it out and that is how i drank my nutrition for about a month.....i only lost 16 pounds as the dr said to count on 30 i didnt because of how my husband cared for me with the protein and veg and carb always in blender and drink it down for the meal, applesauce,, pudding, ice cream for dessert...jello as well.  If u are alone and have to buy strained baby food....whatever as long as u have food every few hrs because u will not be able to eat much at first.  Do the best u can and eat frequently and u will be alright....Whenever I had chest discomfort I drank water and it washes it down...Also stand up after eating if u feel its stuck it works, gravity helps.  Good Luck it all worked well for me ...and now i am back on a somewhat normal diet.....I do rely on gas X for sometimes if i get pain in the chest its gas and take one it  works to eliminate that.....have it all on hand and you will be fine, wait and see...Liz
    • Posted

Hi Liz,

A quick question for you if you can remember,

As far as I know I'm not overdoing it on food, I have a feeling like a lump in my throat and a little burning, is this normal after op? Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since op and I'm just worrying..

Margaret

• Posted

You have put in a lot of years trying to get better, you deserve to feel better. Hope all goes well, I will be following your posts after your surgery, good luck! 
  • Posted

When I read yours I think about my grandchild. Please tell me when you were a toddler, will you have big belly? My grandchild burped and vomitted not a lot but quite often. Scary when I think of what she will have gone through. I am also sorry about what you suffer. The dr should give you Nexium in the begginning. I dont know what dosage you take, may be you need 80mg per day. So you need to ask them. I take 40mg but my symptoms is not  bad.  I wish you all the best and thanks for sharing. xxx
  • Posted

His every one thanks for all you information.

I too am on a waiting list awaiting Surgery.

I'm told be my surgeon on 28th April when saw him last be about 2-3 months

He put me on a low fat Diet and said 14day before operation date you will need to do Liver shrinkage diet.

Not got date for operation yet. But bit scared but thanks to the information from every one here it dose help.

Especially with how people cope after and any information you can give helps

. Also I know we probably all live different parts of the country.

But also would like to know if any one surgeon is the same one I have.

My surgeon is Mr Neville Menizies. Have any of you had him as your surgeon?

Good luck to all those having surgery soon and ones still waiting like me hope all goes well for everyone.

Please keep the up dates of how you are all doing it will be very helpful for me.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL....

• Posted

Hi Zena, I have no idea what this diet and liver shrinking is all about, in my pre op assessment I was told that I can eat up to 2:30am before op and drink clear fluid up till 6:30am, I check into ward 7:30am.

Good luck with your op journey.

Margaret.

• Posted

His Margaret thanks for replying to me.

Surgeon said so easier if you don't have fatty liver so they have better access to area

As liver won't be in way and as shrunk back bit .

Less fatty liver easy to move with out casing bled as fatty liver is more dance.

Good luck with your operation and would be very interested to know how you are doing .

Also how you are copping after your operation and how you are doing in you recovery.

Hope you recover well and get back to eating again with out too many problems.

GOOD LUCK

Zena

• Posted

Sorry forgot to asked who your surgeon is

also what end of the country you are and if NHS or private.

Also sorry about any spell as typing on my Samsung Tablet

It likes to change what you type ...

Zena

• Posted

Hi Zena,

I'm doing NHS and as far as I can make out my consultant is Jones in Royal Berkshire Hospital Reading.

I guess different surgeons have different methods.. I'm hoping as I'm not overweight that may be the reason for not liver shrinking I dunno..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.