Anti Reflux and HH repair surgery next week

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all ,

Its nearly here , my op is on Wednesday 8th June , Im still a bit nervous about it , but reading all the posts on this forum over the past year it has eased my worries a tiny tad ...

My symptoms I would say are livable with but in the long term I am PPI dependant , at the moment Esomeprazole 40mg Ranitadine when required which is most days and Gaviscon .

My symtoms include,

Phlegm 24/7

Sneezing most days

Runny nose

Itchy ears 

Slight chest pain

Nausea if I eat a little too much , most days

Bloated burping and flatulance

Burning sensation in my belly and when stressed burning in my throat

Horrible smell in my nose all the time

Some foods tasteless

I can feel nautiuos one minute then shaking with hunger next

I dont know if this is so but Im putting my lack of wanting to be intamit with my partner down on my symtoms list too whether due to feeling yuck most of the time or due to effects of long term on PPI , I have been taking PPI for about 15 years .

I still get all these symptoms while on the meds so I guess they are not 100% helping my Reflux .

I am 46 years old , Not overweight , Dont smoke , Drink a little .

I have had symtoms since I was a child , when I was a baby I would burp after my bottle feed and bring it all back up , then as i got a bit older I rember sitting up most nights believing I was going to vomit , i never did , into teenage and 20's I discovered Bicarbonated Soda , I used to make up a bottle of it every day and drink it thro the day mostly at night in bed.

Then about 15 years ago I got some chest pain and went to GP , they prescribed PPI , I tried Pantaprazole , Lantaprazole then Omeaprazole which I was on about 10 years , I had and endoscopy about 10 years ago which saw the sphinctor not closing properly and gastritus with tiny ulcers , last year I got fed up taking Omeprazole and went to GP , I asked for Nexium she said they were expensive so at the same time we discussed surgery , I got both Nexium on perscription and referral for surgery , The Nexium does work a little better than the Omeprazole but I still have symtoms .

I had to have endoscopy again which now has found the Hiatus Hernia as well as reflux , I also had 24hr PH test and Manomertry tests , which the hospital ( Royal Berkshire Reading) insist on having before considering surgery . All tests came back conclusive that I am a good candidate for the repair surgery , which happens wednesday next week ...

I will of course keep this forum up to date with proceedings after my op .

Regards to all and thank you everyone who has posted on here and helped me with my decision to have the op .

Margaret.

1 like, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I would love to know how you are dong after your surgery. Hope it went well x
    • Posted

Hi,

I had my surgery on Wednesday as planned, the surgeon said he was happy with his work. I came home the next day as I was freely drinking water and I had a little porridge for breakfast and a little bit of broth and ice cream for lunch, it is quite painful moving around as I expected, quite a bit of it is across my chest and shoulders from where they put gas in for the op, it's sore when I take deep breath, while in hospital they were giving me tramadol and paracetamol and anti sickness cyclizine. Since I've been home I've been talking paracetamol dispersible (takes about 2 hours for the fizz to come out don't drink it fizzy) yesterday I had some sloppy porridge for breakfast, half a little bottle of this new weetabix breakfast drink strawberry flavour and then at dinner time I had a 120g little tub of Devon custard. I try to drink water throughout the day. I'm trying to walk around a bit as the doctors said it will help to disperse the gas put in for the surgery.

I'm still quite sleepy but that's understandable after what my body has just been through. My partner has taken 2 weeks off work to look after me, I can do my toilet duties ok on my own but little things like putting slippers on and preparing food and drink and medicine it is a great help.

I've not managed a shower yet as it's over the bath and I think the climb in and out might be a chore so baby wet wipes are a great help.

After eating or drinking when normally you would burp is a bit painful but the feeling passes quickly.

I've gone from taking 40mg of Nexium per day + ranitadine when required and gaviscon and still getting some symptoms to no Nexium no ranitadine no gaviscon and through the pain of surgery can just make out no symptoms of reflux. Once the surgery pain has gone I can fully enjoy my new stomach.

Good luck everyone going down this route, it's not easy but I'm sure in the end worth it.

• Posted

I'm so happy reading this! After hearing so many horrible stories it's nice to hear you're doing well.

Please give us an update through your recovery, I hope it goes the best it possibly can! Take it easy X

• Posted

That's excellent news. I am so pleased things went well. I do have a question though. The house say when you hsve surgery you have to stay on a clear liquid diet. How do you know if you can progress to something more thicker like you have done so quick, which is really good news by the way. Hope the pain eases for you so you can enjoy the new you x
    • Posted

I think I had some sips of water in recovery and continued to drink water throughout the day and then later on they said I could have a cup of tea with milk, I only managed half of it. Next morning I had sloppy porridge and tea then broth and ice cream, I had ordered mash potato too but after half of the broth and ice cream I felt like I had eaten a 3 course meal with pudding. Because I was managing to have this they said I could go home, I was expecting to be there a couple of days..
    • Posted

Glad your op went well 😀 Did you suffer from a cough at all as that is the main thing for me. I have had the cough for 8 years and now have my pre op on 16th August so fingers crossed it works for me
    • Posted

Nancy  It really wasnt quick.....you will know keep trying what u think u can swallow and one day suddenly your surprised it went down alright,,,,it didnt get stuck.....that was the problem i had....i went on Mayo Clinics site and put in nissen and then printed up their diet and what my dr recommended and use your jusgement with that to guide you....Trust me u will know what u can take and not....it seems whenever i introduced the new stomach to something new i would always remember the rumbling and noises.....But that is gas and that too will pass as it adusts ....goood luck and god bless

• Posted

Hi Louise, yes I did have a bit of a cough, very irritating to other people as most of the time I didn't know I was doing it.
    • Posted

Mine started off like that but now it's whenever I eat. People use to tell me it was just a habit which was so frustrating as I knew it was more than that.
  • Posted

Hi mag

Glad every thing went OK for you.

Thanks for the feed back.

Take it easy and please keep us informed of how you are getting on.

This is very good reassurance for me.

As I am still bit scared about the operation and recovery.

Makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

Good luck on you recovery and hope continues to go well for you.

Please keep us all informed of you progress

Thanks again for you reassurance.

Zena

• Posted

Good Luck to you Mag.....It wont be easy in the beginning but all well worth it .  I am now almost 4 moths and can eat most everything ...still afraid to try the once triggered foods but will soon.....i still cant forget all the pain they caused for years and not excited ab, ut eating red sauce which once was a big trigger.....but i will and u too will be well soon...never lose hope or patience....stock up on the boost or ensure, liquids for the beginning. puddings, yogurt, easy to swallow foods.....God Bless and keep us all informed  liz

• Posted

Hi all,

Today I have had a child portion of Readybrek, a small 120g pot of custard and half a bottle of weetabix breakfast drink. I'm just about to try some chicken soup.. I get a blast of pain after eating or drinking when normally I would burp, it passes quite quickly. I think the pain across my chest and shoulders is easing a bit this evening.

• Posted

you are doing great...i could never ever all that the first week.....i would graze and could only drink one thing at a time and your eating....your doing very well....watch for the gas with all that at once....thats amazing see everyone is so different and of course procedures vary as well....keep up the good work  liz
  • Posted

Hi,

According to my discharge letter the surgeon did a 270 degree wrap with me and my hiatus hernia was 2 mm, they told me they did do a 360 wrap bit they felt it was a little too tight for me so undone it and redone as 270, I'm guessing that's gonna cause me a tad more bruising inside.

I managed the chicken soup fine last night, the shoulder and chest pain is easing a little bit more this morning.

I'm sleeping well at night finding my comfort spot and staying in it, on my back sitting up in bed,

My elbows are a bit tender from sitting this way.

• Posted

Hi

Glad you are coping well.

They said I have 5cm Hiatus Hernia as well as reflux Gord. ..

Very reassuring that you are doing so well. Let's hope it continues and you recover well.

Makes me feel much better with your positive results.

I know everyone is different but helps me not to be so scared about it all.

Thanks for the up date

wish you well on your recovery.

Zena

• Posted

So happy for you, it has to be a scary thing to go through. It is nice to hear a success story. You sound like you are doing everything you should be at this point. Good luck with it all. Please keep reporting and giving us all hope.
    • Posted

Glad to hear your coming along well....chicken soup sure does help and the shoulder pain will subside soon....i started to recline after a week or so i was afraid at first because of reflux but i did not have any more reflux thank goodness.....now i am in a lying down position and no gerd nor pain .....the chest pain stayed with me for quite sometime but dr said it was the muscles healing in the chest the HH and all.....and it was i am sooooo grateful this is all behind me.....i wish you luck and a speedy recovery...Be  Patient if what u eat doesnt work stop and go backwards and try another time dont rush anything....liz
    • Posted

Hi Liz,

Thank you, can you tell me. I have very slight burning in my throat and oesophagus is this just because I'm sore from surgery? I'm sure that's what it is as I guess I'm quite swollen all the way down. The chicken soup is nice and filling, I tried some complan drink but the taste is disgusting and made me feel a bit yuck, I won't have that again, mini pots of Devon custard and pots of Jelly are going down well as is Readybrek porridge, I haven't tried anything else yet, and sipping water throughout the day.

• Posted

In the beginning for about a week i did have some left over whatevers, i do recall that thinking wow this isnt over....but it soon ended so give it time....the other thing water is very important when i felt any discomfort i drank the water and i don know but i think it neutralizes whatever may be the problem...i drank during the night as well as needed for awhile.  That all will soon pass it seems like forever but it did go by fast when i think back.   I just finished eating a Mcdonalds burger which i never do but for some reason was craving it.....went down real good.....you soon will be eating everything....One thing i notice i cannot eat as much as i used to...smaller portions but often because u get this funny pang of hunger....the dr did say 10% of my stomach is smaller....but thats ok its all well worth it...keep telling yourself that and u will get thru ok ....you have no choice and it will be a celebration when done!

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Phew thank you I was starting to worry that on hadn't worked.. I'm looking forward to drinking coffee again as that was one thing I stopped also cheese and onion chrisps last time I ate them I was nursing my dad in hospital and had to go home feeling very nauseous. Tomato never seemed to worry me as over the last few months all I could be bothered to eat was pasta and tomato based sauce.. I'm sipping water throughout the day and when I feel discomfort in my throat and oesophagus.

Catch up again later..

Thank you, Margaret.

• Posted

on my list i had decaf coffee and decaf tea which i did as soon as i could maybe a week after.....absolutely no gassy foods or u will pay the price in way of chest pains, thats what i had and i did not have gassy foods,  it was just the stomach adjusting to the changes of foods...so be careful go on the mayo clinic site and get the list of do and donts for nissen....my dr said he tightened me up a little more than normal.....whatever he did its working and i pray it dont come back ever..One his patients lives in my town and i called her before surgery to see about it and it was 10 years since her surgery and she is fine....you do know u will never vomit again with the nissen, nor burp dr told me....

from time to time i do get a little nausea either being hungry or eating too much .....funny feeling in the upper chest just below the ribs.  keep up the good work  liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.