Anti-thyroglobulin & Peroxidase How important?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A friend was diagnosed with hypothyroidism with a functioning goiter in 2014. last month she was retested in the Philippines. We were not given any useful interpretation of the results. I am looking for any help in 

understanding these.

TSH 0.98ng/ml  0.27 - 3.75ng/ml range 

FT4 13.43pm    11.5 - 23.0 pm range.

FT3 5.04 pmol/L 3.1 - 6.8 range. 

Anti - thyroglobulin 394.46 range -100 IU/ml .

Anti - Thyroid Peroxidase 441.89 -100 IU/ml

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello StephenCDN:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

TPOA  and TGab are for diagnosing autoimmune thyroid disease like Hashimoto's. These antibodies are normally dormant but under certain conditions like a virus called Epstein-Barr or Mononucleuosis they can be activated.  Also they can be active by pregnancy in women. Sometimes puberty and even menopause can trigger it.

Most times it is a family trait and that it hits 20 to 45 year old women more than men.

Now the blood:  TSH is normal at 0.98, and Free T4 (FT4) is normal at 13.43.  Also FreeT3  (FT3) is good and normal at 5.04.

Antibodies tests: TPOA 441.89 is high, should be close to zero or no more than 34 on some scales. Anti-globulin 394.46 is high.and again should be close to zero or under 10 on some scales.

So this means she has thyroid antibodies and they will attack the gland over time (takes many of years) and it will render it useless.  A goiter means her thyroid is enlarged and having a hard time to function and it swells and can be painful like a tight band. It can be helped by taking the thyroid medication, as I have a goiter also.  I was not diagnosed as a teenager as I should have been.

She needs to be on thyroid medication (Levohyroxine is one of them they use), to help make the antibodies go down and to help control the disease.  It can't be cured but it can be controlled and I have it since 1987.  It is not catching it is within her body only.

Keep us posted on how you do,  any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, thanks so much for the info, super helpful. My friend was given a perscription for Levothyroxine but since that was not available we filled it with Eltroxin. 75 mcg daily. she's very thin but not considerd underweight and she tires very easly. no noticeable changes in 4 weeks. she was also diagnosed in 2014 with rheumatic heart disease though I've never seen the results. she was never given a copy so we don't know the extent of the damage. 

how long should we wait before retesting after taking the Eltroxin? and does she need all the tests or just the Anti - thyroglobulin and

Anti - Thyroid Peroxidase since the others were normal.

much appreciated. 

• Posted

Hello StephenCDN:

Ah, Rheumatic heart disease is caused by a Streptococcus germ and that alone could have caused the thyroid problem. It is a big deal and even though we have antibiotics, it can damage the heart and other organs.

Yes, she should have all 3 tests TPOA, TGab, ESR, as they can see if autoimmune thyroid antibodies are active in her. Any major virus or bacterial infection/germ can activate these antibodies which attack the thyroid.

Eltroxin is okay and you will have to give the body 6 to 12 weeks to build a level and doctors  may test her in 2 to 3 months again to see her new blood level.

Please get a hold of her rheumatic heart disease records and show them to her Endocrinologist or who ever is treating her  for the thyroid.

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

hi Shelly, me again haha. i'm not familar with the ESR test, this is to dectect inflamation i think. is this related to her enlarged thyroid or the rhematic heart disease? 
    • Posted

Hello Stephen:

ESR is Erthyrocyte sedimentation rate and is used to pick up inflammation markers in the body that can cause autoimmune problems like thyroid ones or cancer certain types and Lupus.  It helps to see the level of inflammation in the body and can help diagnose her better. Since she has had Rheumatic fever it may help as each test works differently from another test. Some people can be negative on one test and positive on another.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks, more reading haha. not sure if I should be looking at a more relevant discussion but since you're here, I'm wondering if the effectivness of each brand of hormone medication is a hit or miss with each person. if after 3 months no reduction is found do we try another brand or simply increase the dosage?
    • Posted

Hello Stephen:

There are different thyroid meds out there.  The synthetic ones,  levothyroxine is the most common and they make it genericly so many to choose from.

Then you have the natural meds that are more like our human one, Armour Thyroid, Nature's Thyroid, Thyroid S and Thyroid W. These are made from a pig's gland which is very close to a human person's gland. The body likes these better in some people.  They are all good.

Then you have Liothyronine just T3 also called Cytomel.  Then they have Liotrix a combo of T3 and T4 synthetic ones.

Yes, you can do a lot of research on the thyroid. I know it very well.

Normally people do blood after 2 to 3 months on the med.  Then they may have to change the dose.  The body takes a while to build a level.

Most people are on 75mcg to 100mcg of Levo.  It must be taken without food in the stomach and she must wait 1 hour before a meal.

So if you can try a natural one, she may find that better.

Keep me posted,

Shelly

• Posted

thanks shelly, well, there are many pigs in the philippines hahaha, I'll look into these natural hormone meds. 

so, are you thinking her rheumatic fever led to rheumatic heart disease which in turn caused the autoimmune disease?   

• Posted

Hello Stephen:

Many bad germs can cause a problem elsewhere in the body. The thyroid is very easy to become inflammed and damaged due to a virus or germ/bacteria etc... It can show up many years later after the germ or virus is gone.  It can activate these antibodies, so yes, worth a few simple blood tests for peace of mind.  Other ways to have a thyroid problem are, poor iodine in the diet, bad health under it all, family trait, diabetes can cause thyroid problems and so can cancer or illegal drugs.

Pig's are very close to a human and many people use the med's they make and look into that.

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, so if hashimoto's is essentially an inmune problem that's messed with and damaged the thyroid, should we focus on improving or repairing the immune system?
    • Posted

Hello Stephen:

Hashimoto's is autoimmune and by taking the Levothyroxine or any other thyroid medicine, helps to keep the disease under control.  Sadly there is no cure, but eating healthy and avoiding Gluten and junk foods, which is known to bother the thyroid will help.  Keeping the body in the best shape also helps and that includes mild exercise.  Taking multi-vitamins and building up the immune system will help to keep it healthy. Minerals like potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, Iron and ferritin all help to keep the body in good shape and also Vit D and B-12. Many thyroid patients are low in some of these and do not know it.  They can test for this via a blood draw.

So by doing this will help to keep everything in good shape and it will help the thyroid out.

Any questions, just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Is selenium useful at all?

Is it safe to take iodin for hyperthyroidism?

Why is gluten inadvisable?

Thank you 

• Posted

Hello Lucy:

Selenium helps the thyroid and it's ability to make the hormone.  It also helps the immune system out.  If Hypo or low it can help if Hyper it may not stop the extra amount of hormone, but we all need proper levels of our minerals and vitamins.

Gluten is added to food as a binder,and is a known thyroid attacker.  It bothers people who may have autoimmune thyroid problems. It also can cause joint problems and muscle aches and headaches.  Gluten also bothers people who have Celiacs disease.  It can cause IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), of the bowel and it is found in doughy foods and sweets like cakes and cookies, pasta and corn other products like ready made foods. Many people avoid it as it can aggravate Thyroid antibodies and cause them to activate.

Iodine is mostly helpful for Hypothyroid and helps prevent a goiter and keeps the thyroid healthy in proper amounts. Hyperthyroid may not benefit from it as they make too much hormone already. It can be found in seafood like Fish.  It is mostly obtained well enough from diet, unless in a 3rd world country.

Shelly

• Posted

Dear Shelly Thanks for your informative response.

Can I ask you a further question please. Is it safe to eat fish epecially salmon as it contains iodine?

Gluten. How does this process come about? It just seems amazing that gluten can attack the thyroid and joints! Does the same apply to wheat etc? How long does it take to become gluten free?  Thanks in advance.

Apparently fluoride is an enzyme disrupter causing similar problems with the thyroid and muscles/joints!!

• Posted

Hello Lucy:

Gluten is like a glue substance that is clear and they add it to food, mostly to make it adhere better in baked items like sweets cookies and cakes and breads, wheats, & pasta. 

Once you consume it, and it can take many of times in some people it then is ingested and in your intestines. The body can go into cramps and then loose bowels followed by constipation and back and forth a lot.  It is painful and may feel like a food poisoning.

Somehow it being in your intestines and some is absorbed more stimulates antibodies to go haywire and that is in your immune system. It effects people differently. It can cause headaches that are really bad in some people and aches and pains.

Some people get bowel problems and some get joint pains and can't function. Some people have all the problems listed above and some may only experience the thyroid problems. Wheat has gluten in it in wheat breads unless you buy non gluten breads.

There have been studies done on this subject.  It effects a lot of us, so it is recommended to avoid it as a preventative.

It can take about a week or so to eliminate all of it from your body.  Read labels and look what is in it.  Buy gluten free items in your store.

Yes, High amts. of fluoride can damage the thyroid.  In some places the water contains fluoride in it. You can also buy bottled water to avoid that.

Fish is safe as long as you consume a normal portion size.  Eating it for all 3 meals would be a lot.  Salmon is good in proper portions.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.