antibiotic eye drops for cataract surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had vitrectomy and peel in January and was prescribed generic antibiotic drops. When I saw the Dr about the cataract surgery I was told I had to use Vigamox at a much higher cost. Is there really a difference?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

There are probably differences between different antibiotic effectiveness because of their different chemical compositions, but there are no studies comparing the results of their use for various cataract surgeries because those are hard to do.

Within the antibiotics commonly used for the cataract surgery, different doctors seem to have their preference mainly because they have good experience with those and thus feel more comfortable.

My wife's surgeon also prescribed (2 years back) Vigamox, which as you have noted, is rather expensive. For my cataract surgery a few months back, my surgeon prescribed Ofloxacin. which is much less expensive. (less than $15 with a coupon available online).

Thus, it is worth having a conversation with your surgeon on the subject.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.