Antibodies almost quadrupled when going gluten-free?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can someone please help, my anti-TPO antibodies (range 0-34) have gone from 33.5 in March to 141 in August despite being told to go gluten-free and did so consistently for 3 months? My endocrinologist said going gluten-free would definitely sort the antibodies out. I am on 50mcg T4.

So what went wrong?

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear your situation has become worse. I cannot help with this but wondered if you would elaborate on gluten free eating as it is something i am cnsidering 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi there, no worries. smile

I've been removing everything that contains wheat and gluten from my diet - I have gone back to eating gluten and wheat now because I have figured that going gluten free, for me, did not work and made my problems so much worse.

So, things like pasta and bread - I would eat gluten free pasta and bread. They are more expensive to buy but if you like eating toast now and again the gluten free bread is great to freeze! smile Gluten free pasta I find I don't have to use a lot of it up. Less than a cup did me fine for quantity.

Chocolate I steered away from but I did eat gluten free chocolate now and again. Sometimes it tastes nice, other types of this gluten free chocolate did not. Depends on the brand.

I ate gluten-free biscuits and gluten free cakes too.

I mostly had shop-bought cakes and biscuits because I wouldn't know how to cook/bake anything and plus cooking and baking means more money to spend.

Hope this helps and good luck. smile

• Posted

hi starla

could it be because this wasn't your idea and it caused you stress?

stress can raise antibodies.

also starla....the idea is to eat fresh food, quality free range and organic meats, loads of eggs and veg...rather than to try an imitation diet of processed foods...from the gluten-free range...thats a mugs game getting drawn in to that industry.

Instead might you be able to see this as a life-style opportunity? It has to be your decision however and you have to feel comfortable about it...otherwise it seems your anti-bodies will continue to increase...plus the food processing factor may have contributed to raised anti-bodies as well. you do seem to have a very aware GP...what's his/her  explanation?

I'm on 25 mcg of levothyroxin. have just found out that I 've got anti-bodies...and must have had for some time. GP didn'tbother telling me I'm furious as was re-introducing iodine...which shouldn't be done until TSH is below 1.

thanks starla for sharing your predicament. Will follow you with great interest and much hope that you will find the inspiration to explore this further. You clearly are up for advising on the path before us and we're all in this together !! x

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I didn't go gluten free for very long the first time. Here is what happened...

January 2014 - I went to my first endo appointment and was told by her I have Hashimoto's. She told me to prepare for a coeliac screen but she didn't tell me for how long, so I only did the gluten challenge for something like 2 weeks. I'm reading articles online that say 12 weeks. So is it possible I didn't do the gluten challenge for very long that time?

I changed GP practices in May because I started to have problems gaining weight  - I still do - and the GP then changed her tune and said I have no intolerances despite an alternative therapist saying I do. As a result no referral to a gastro or ENT was suggested.

As for stress... I don't know what could have stressed me out.

Fresh food - the local supermarket we have does not sell fresh food or organic. The only free range food they sell is eggs!

Organic meats - I'd be happy to pay extra if I had a job!

In essence I just took the cheapest option which is to just get the shop bought stuff. wink

My GP has no explanation now apart from just referring me to an ENT or gastro if the PPI I have been taking does not work.

I did send a letter to my previous GP asking for her support and help in trying to get myself better (because if I don't, who will?) and she said to me in my appointment with her that I had a lot of nerve sending her a letter that lectured about more tests and esoteric articles that were over 20 years old and she will not be helping me with any thyroid related matters.

• Posted

oh dear....

well its said that 100% of thyroid patients have gluten intolerance. I would just go with that...maybe consider a casein allergy too...to dairy. but don't overwhelm yourself just go at it slowly. xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

keep on board with your new GP...you'll get there x
    • Posted

Thanks. smile Maybe stick with the gluten intolerance for now.

I feel a bit overwhlemed at the moment - I have to take iron, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and 7 other supplements (which I have not yet gotten because of money problems) and now 2 intolerances.

I hope this gets better and that I will get somewhere in the end. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.